Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

LGA to Midtown at 4:30 on a Wednesday- Car or Cab?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2012, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister, mother and I are travelling to NYC for the first time next week. We arrive at Laguardia at 4:05pm and need to be to W39th and 9th by 5:30pm. I am wondering what the best way to ensure we get there on time is.
Should we use a car service, such as dial7 or carmel, or take a cab?
Since it is 5pm, and I am assuming that is "rush hour" in NYC and just want to ensure we have enough time to make it to our destination.
Any suggestions would be great!

We are returning to LGA on the following Monday for a 1 pm flight, any suggestions for this time? Cab or Car?

Thanks!
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 04:26 PM

IF your plane lands on time (fairly unlikely for LGA at that time of day) and don;t have to wait for lucky you can get in a cab and should make it by 5:30 assuming there is no bad weather, construction or accident.

If your plane is late, luggage is delayed or their is especially bad traffic or weather or construction - there's a good chance you won;t make it.

A car service is no faster than a cab - since you have to find the driver and then schlep out to the parking garage - or wait while he drives around if you have too much luggage. This is certainly no more than the time you wold wait on a cab line - perhaps 5 minute - 10 at the most.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 04:35 PM

Yeah, but once you are in the car, you know what it will cost you to get to your destination. At rush hour, the cab is a crapshoot, especially all the way to 39th and 9th.

It's going to be tough enough to make it in that amount of time that I wouldn't want to worry about the dollars clicking by.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 04:44 PM

I hope you're all traveling with just carry on luggage. If you have to wait for checked bags, you probably won't make it.

How important is it that you be at your location by 5:30? It should be Ok, but traffic is just too variable to guarantee it.
I too tend to take car services so I don't have to watch the dollars go down the drain while stuck in traffic. It should not take any longer to get a car service than a taxi, (there's no "parking garage" to go into) just have a couple phone numbers for different companies handy in case one says they don't have a car nearby. You call, tell them what airline you arrived on , and they tell you where to wait outside in the designated pickup areas.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 05:44 PM

If you reserve with Dial7, for instance, you will have a confirmation #. You call them when you're outside with your luggage in the passenger pickup area, and they will tell you the make and car number to wait for. It can take 10 minutes for the driver to come by for you. It will be helpful if you're traveling with carry on only.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 07:15 PM

If you have to be there by 5:30 you really need to catch an earlier plane. I'd say there is less than a 10% chance you will arrive on time and make it to 9th Ave in that time window at rush hour.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 03:57 AM

Travelbuff has the best answer of all.