Leaving SF on a Friday

Search

Leaving SF on a Friday

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving SF on a Friday

Flying into SF on Friday, Sept. 8th - around 2:30. Original plan was not to go into city, but head north first for a few days, coming back into SF. Thinking about traffic now, wondering if this is a good idea or should we stay in SF for a night or two before heading out? Best route to go north from airport? Do any of the hotels at the airport have shuttles into SF, if decided to stay there a night to avoid traffic? Help please
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 07:28 PM

OK.

First of all where are you planning on going north? With your time frame, if you pick up a car at the airport and go north you should have no traffic problems. Best route north from the airport is to pick up 380 just north on 101 and go up to 280. Follow it across the Golden Gate Bridge.

If you decide to stay at an airport hotel that dsy (not necessary, in my opinion) they have shuttles to the airport where you can pick up another shuttle or BART or a taxi into San Francisco.

I think your original plan, to head north after your 2:30 arrival time is the best. Why complicate it? <g>. Have a good trip.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 04:18 AM

I would take public transportation and stay in SF the first night, relax, have dinner and unwind. You could probably get a great deal on a hotel room on priceline.com since it is a Friday and most of the business people have vacated for the weekend.

There are plenty of rental car agencies in the downtown/Union Sq area. Saturday morning would be a nice time to head up North, wherever you are going. Probably less expensive picking up the rental in downtown vs. paying the airport surcharge, if any.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:44 AM

If you plan to take 101 north out of SF on a Friday afternoon, you will be stuck in traffic. Northbound traffic starts to slow on Fridays around 2:30pm. I would also stay in SF for a day or two and go north later.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:56 AM
SAB

jt--As I posted jfawp's prior thread posing this question I agree with SFNative It won't be that bad getting into SF on 280 as most of the traffic will be heading south, until you hit the GGBridge approaches. because there will be a great deal of traffic and 101 N will be jammed most of the way to Santa Rosa.

jt seriously consider staying in SF for the night and heading out the next day. BTW there is no need to post a new thread on this subject, even if you have additional questions.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Fiday after 3 pm is a bad time to be doing a lot of driving, whether into or out of the city.

Stay in SF for the night, relax and unwind, start out early Saturday morning and you'll have most of 101 North to yourself.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Didn't mean to post twice. Posted, then couldn't find my post, so thought I had hit the preview, instead of post, anyhow, here I am with 2 post on same subject. Have about decided to stay in town for weekend. Other than Union Square, which is a good location to stay for 2-3 nights before heading to the northern coast? Thanks a bunch.