Best Route to Point Reyes and SF car rental

Jul 27th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Best Route to Point Reyes and SF car rental

I'm heading up to San Francisco for the weekend. I've been to Muir Woods many times, but never to Point Reyes, so I'm hoping to rent a car and drive there on Monday (I'll have all day Monday).

What is the best direct route there and back?

I realize that may depend on the answer to my second question, which is:
Should I rent a car at the airport or in the city?

I really only want the car on Monday, and am flying out Monday night. (I arrive Saturday morning, but won't need a car Sat. or Sun.).
Jul 27th, 2006, 04:50 AM

It is often less expensive to pick up/return the rental at off-airport sites. It was that way when we were in SF, but we needed the car the entire time so we did airport pickup.

We loved Point Reyes! We were there in March and with binoculars, saw many whales blowing.

We were not in a hurry though, so we meandered from Pt. Reyes back to SF, taking PCH 1 all the way so we'd cross the Golden Gate, too. That does seem to be the most direct route.
Jul 27th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Neopolitan

I presently have two reservations, one for three days and one for one day picking up at Fisheman's Wharf and returning to San Jose Airport. Either is surprisingly cheap. (Haven't figured out yet if we'll want the car for a couple days or just one).

I just brought up a one day pickup with Dollar at Fisherman's Wharf (the Sheraton) and return the same night to the SFO airport and get a grand total of $41.22. There are no special fees for dropping off at the airport. Similar prices are available if you want to pick up near Union Square. Since a taxi to the airport alone would cost more than the one day rental, sounds like a great deal to me.

Jul 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

one other question - about how long of a drive is it from SF to Point Reyes? Thanks.
Jul 27th, 2006, 01:44 PM

About an hour without any traffic or construction . . . so it really depends on the time of day and day of week. Check for road construction - hopefully there won't be any while you're there.
Jul 27th, 2006, 01:47 PM
SAB

I think 101 N to Sir Francis Drake Blvd is faster, takes about an hour from SF. Taking 1 is more scenic and will take longer. Note we don't call Highway 1 "the PCH" in Northern CA--it's one of the ways we can tell who's from Southern CA.
Jul 27th, 2006, 01:51 PM

LoL! With a screen name like BayouGal, do you think I'd even suggest I was from your lovely state at all?!
Jul 27th, 2006, 01:59 PM

JohnH,
There are two ways to get out to Point Reyes which do not involve taking Highway 1 all the way from Muir Beach. The first would be to take the San Anselmo turnoff and then take Sir Francis Drake all the way out to the coast - you will come out at the town of Olema, which is a very short drive to either the town of Point Reyes Station or the Inverness turn off towards the actual park.

The second way is to take the Lucas Valley turnoff. You will, after going through Lucas Valley, take a right turn through Nicasio and then a turn westward (left) on the Point Reyes-Petaluma road. If you follow the signs to Point Reyes Station, you end up at the north end of that town,then it's a short drive southward to the aforementioned Inverness turnoff for the beaches.

Of the two, I prefer the latter. Both roads involve some twisty driving for a while. FYI, there are some very cool roads going between the coast and Petaluma - my favorite is the Marshll-Petaluma road, going through some bucolic countryside. The Tomales-Petaluma Road is nice too. Although country roads like these take a bit more time, they really pay off in scenery. I guess you could end up in Petaluma for dinner after a day in Point Reyes and then shoot back down 101 to San Francisco - that's a plan I've often followed with great satisfaction.
Jul 27th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Sorry, that's the Marshall-Petaluma Road. And double sorry, should have specified that the turnoffs I mentioned are going northward from S.F. on the freeway, 101.
Jul 27th, 2006, 02:02 PM
SAB

BayouGal I know you are not from Southern CA, just wanted people to realize that It really can make a difference, because if you ask for directions to the PCH, many in Northern CA would have no idea what you were talking about.
Jul 27th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Thanks, SAB. That's good info to have. And if I can remember that the next time we're in Northern CA (which we love, BTW), then I might just try pretending that we do live in Northern Ca!;-)
Jul 27th, 2006, 03:15 PM
KT

BayouGal, if you tell people in Northern California you're from the Delta, they might think you mean the Sacramento Delta.
Jul 27th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Now there's an idea, KT!

Search this Thread