SF - Union Square to Oakland Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bad is traffic at about 4:30 in the afternoon on a Thursday? Would I be able to make a 6:30 flight or should I just hold out to the next morning? The potential 30 minute shuttle from the BART to the airport is making this not seem like a good option.

Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Traffic across the bridge starts getting bad around 3 p.m.
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:27 PM

Sorry amor, I don't understand your question. Is your flight from the Oakland Airport at 6:30pm on Thursday? Or have you not made flight reservations and are thinking about flying from the Oakland Airport on Friday morning? And assume that you will get to the Oakland Airport from SF via BART? If so, the traffic across the Oakland/SF Bridge (auto traffic) has nothing to do with BART. Or are you thinking of not taking BART but driving?
Can you explain in more detail.
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:55 PM

Hi Amor, rereading your post one question I had is answered. You are stating that the shuttle from BART to get via the shuttle to the Oakland Airport is not a good option. OK, finally I get that! I thought the shuttle ran much more often then that, but have they changed their itinerary or is it due to traffic congestion in Oakland? In any case, I still have the other questions I posted. Best wishes.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi LoveItaly,

I was considering BART, but understand that the suttle between the train station and the Oakland airport can take up to 30 min after possibly waiting 15 to 20 for the suttle to get there.

My Plan B is taking a cab, but know how bad traffic can get going across the bay.

Plan C is a flight the next morning. Not a bad thing, just anxious to get home!
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:35 AM

From SF, it has usually taken me 1½ hour to get to the Oakland airport using bus-BART-shuttle. I've had no problems with the shuttle and if it takes a little time, it usually is because of the traffic at the airport itself. Maybe BART and taxi might be the answer if you are worried about the shuttle, but the taxi would meet the same traffic tie-up as the shuttle.
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Hi amor, I just checked the Oakland Airport website (www.flyoakland.com) and it states that the shuttle is every 10 to 20 minutes. The shuttle takes 15 to 30 minutes depending on traffic.

I agree with Michael, if you take BART and then get a taxi, the taxi will have the same potential problem as the shuttle.

Amor, when you say you are thinking about taking a flight the next morning I am not sure you will be accomplishing a whole lot more. For sure a 6:30pm flight will put you in the commute traffic but that has nothing to do with BART. If I were you and anxious to get home I would take BART and the shuttle on Thursday afternoon. Best wishes to you.

P.S. Which BART station do you plan on using in SF?
Old May 6th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Why can't you just leave earlier than 4:30?
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:18 AM

Mike, I don't know but probably amor will be in SF on a business trip and will not be free to leave SF before 4:30pm. Amor??? Am I correct? If not, leaving earlier would be good.
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Yes LoveItaly you are correct, a business commitment keeps me there until 4:30. I would be leaving San Fransisco from the Powell Street station. I usually am in and out of SFO, so Oakland is a new one for me.

Thanks to both of you for your help. I'm going to book the 6:30 flight, take the BART and dash through the terminal. With web check-in and carry-on luggage I should be okay.
Old May 6th, 2005, 08:00 PM

Hi amor, having only carryon is great. And also, your catching BART at the Powell St. station is good too as you will no doubt be able to get a seat (I always have at that time). The next 2 stops leaving SF on BART is the Montgomery St. and then the Embarcadero Stations and by that time BART can be really jammed with passengers.

So, you will be just fine. No time to stop and linger of course, but don't be nervous or stressed. Best wishes to you.