leaving in a week, and in a panic!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Oahu 3 nights at the kahala Mandarin, 4 nights in Maui 4 seasons, then 4 nights on the big Island at the Hapuna Beach hotel, then 3 nights at the Princeville. Have not been on a big trip like this for 10 years. Its a big anniversary.I really could use some help with some structure for activities, since I will only be on each island for just a few days, would like to see the major atrractions and still be able to enjoy the beaches and hotel. Also, could you reccommend just a few great restaurants on each island. It's my first time on this website.... my son told me that you guys know the most about traveling....any help would be so much appreciated. Thanks in adavnce for any help... I'm leaving May 3rd... I called last night for restaurant reservations to some places, and they all were still available. Maybe the 2 weeks I am going are not the busiest. Thanks again in advance. If anyone answers this, I hope I can find the response!!!!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:43 AM

The people in Hawaii are still asleep at this time. When they awake and answer you by noon their time, it'll be a fast response.

Kidding aside, and in the meantime, just type in the "search" box above a key phrase, like "Maui restaurants" and you will see a lot of threads discussing whatever you are searching for.

Fodorites are enormously helpful and I'm certain you will get lots of good tips!

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Koko Cafe and Bibas were both great (also reasonably priced) and located at the Hale Koa. If you are up to it, the climb up Diamond Head is well worth it and you still have time for another activity that day.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Be sure to leave lots of open time in your scheduling. It's the casual stuff in Hawaii that I like best.

Definitely have a "plate lunch" meal somewhere along the way. And enjoy all the incredible fresh fruits.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Of course the major attraction on the Big Island is Volcanoes National Park. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive from the Hapuna Prince Hotel where you are staying. The Hapuna Prince Hotel is on a wonderful beach you should enjoy very much. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Oahu - Arizona Memorial, snorkel Hanauma Bay(http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/f...ay/welcome.htm), stroll Waikiki, National Cemetery of the Pacific (Punchbowl), Polynesian Cultural Center (www.polynesia.com).

Maui - Stroll Lahaina, Haleakala sunrise, Iao Needle, Road to Hana.

Big Island - Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (http://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm), Akaka Falls, Rainbow Falls.

Kauai - Waimea Canyon
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:59 PM

You're staying at some amazing hotels!! I'm assuming it's your first time to Hawaii? The private beaches alone at each hotels should be magnificent enough!! Also, each hotel has some amazing restaurants as well. With only 3 days on Oahu, that doesn't give you much time to experience everything there. But I do agree with Dusty that you have to go to Hanauma Bay and Pearl Harbor. On Maui, definitley go see the sunrise at Haleakala.

As far as good restaurants, there's too many to name! Are you looking for nice, fancy places?? If so, for sure, try Roy's on Oahu.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Go to "Restaurants" on the orange banner up top and follow the links to get ideas on places to eat including fodor reviews.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Next weeke is Golden Week, a Japanese holiday period when families from Japan will be visiting--think sping break. Things look slow right now, but will pick up considerably next week, especially on O`ahu.

As for activities and restaurants, there are endless possibilities. I'd suggest you research a bit here to get an idea of what you might like, as others have sugested, and then come back with questions.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:36 PM

What a great anniversary you’ll have. Let's start with Oahu. Kahala Mandarin is fabulous and you may not want to leave. Excellent restaurant, Hoku’s, and the Plumeria Café has a buffet that is very special. I recommend both.

First Day: arrive and tell them you’re celebrating your anniversary. Sometimes you’ll get an upgrade or bottle of champagne. I’d just concentrate on your wife/husband and have a romantic day, evening, enjoying the hotel and beach. There is a nice pool too for sunning yourself. Maybe eat at Hoku’s or the Plumeria Café this night. Walk on the beach and hold hands.

Second Day: If you do want to sightsee you could rent a car and see some of the island. Possibilities are Pearl Harbor, North Shore, Polynesian Cultural Center. This would make a long day, so if you want something shorter, just choose one. Maybe Hanauma Bay. Eat at restaurant that you didn’t go to last night.

Third Day: You’re staying outside of Waikiki so you could drive there. On your way stop at Diamond Head and hike up for a great view. Continue onto Waikiki, park if you can find any, maybe zoo parking lot, and wander around. The Aquarium and Zoo are pretty low key but nice attractions. Tiki’s is a fun spot for afternoon happy hour or dinner.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much... your responses have helped calmed me down and allowed me to focus.I have 5 days to go and much to do, but at least I am excited now, as opposed to having a major anxiety attack!!! A few questions if anyone still goes back to this post.... should I just go to pearl harbor and the uss arizona and Missiouri myself early in the morning by car (I rented one) or should I take a tour? Is the information that they give you on the ships enough when you get there, or would a tour be better? Does anyone know how far it is form the hotels?
Another question... biking down Mt Halekalela...at sunrise..I'm fifty in good shape.. just a little afraid of heights will I be OK? I really want to do it. Also how cold is it up there, and what kind of clothing do I need to bring. Sorry for all these questions. Told you I was nervous. How long does it take from the time you get up in the morning till you get up on the mountain and bike down till you are down... just and idea, so I can plan the rest of my day.
Since I am bothering you guys anyway... the road to Hana.. if I leave early in the morning...figure 4 hours to get there (which I have read to do) would you think it would be a good idea to do Mamas Fish House on the way back? Any idea of what time to make a reservation? Also I have heard that people say to take dramanine for that drive????

Would you pick I'os, or Pacific O for better food and or view?
I know it's really nervy asking you all these questions but I don't know ANYONE who has been in Hawaii so if anyone reads this and answers again, I'd be most appreactive!!! Tahnks again for all your help, and time that you have already given me.

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:27 AM

you're so funny gchizz, no need to panic, ppl here are very helpful. i got alot of my questions answered here. I've been to oahu and maui last summer so I'm able to answer ur questions in those areas. For the USS memorial, i had a pre-warning from a friend to go there early, like 8am, wait in line for a ticket stub, i forget what time they start letting ppl in, but when u get there around 8, u'll see a long line already. remember no bags allowed in the memorial, so either come with just a camera and a wallet to put in ur pockets, or u'll have to rent a locker to store ur bags.
If you're scared of heights, i wouldnt recommend biking the haleakala. i drove up there last summer with another girlfriend of mine, we were chicken-scared of the drive up, we saw ppl biking down and were scared for them. the feeling was like driving on teh edge of a cliff, very daring. haha.
I made reservations for the Mama's Fishhouse intending to dine there after the road to hana, i made it back in time for an 8:30 reservation, but we got a flat tire on the way back and was EXHAUSTED from the whole day, we kinda lost our mood for a good meal. so we ended up not going. although this summer when i go back, i do plan on trying mama's fishhouse on the same day as my trip to hana. so if it works out for you, let me know.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:40 AM

More Oahu stuff:

Another romantic idea when you’re on Oahu. I just remembered seeing this when I was eating at Neptune’s restaurant in the Pacific Beach Hotel in Waikiki. They have an aquarium of sorts in the hotel and diners can see fish swimming by. Sometimes a diver goes into the tank and holds up a sign that says, Happy Birthday, So and So. It’s rather cute and clever. So if you call ahead of time for a table you could ask them to hold up a sign that says Happy Anniversary with your names on it or your wife/husband. I’m not sure if they charge something but it’s another anniversary memory for the two of you to bring back.

Drive to Pearl Harbor yourself. As everyone has said, get there early. You won’t miss much in the way of information because you will get plenty of information when you reach the area.

Re: Maui and Haleakala Bike ride. Kalunchi gave some good advice. I would add that if you want to bike down ask yourself: How good a biker are you? Are you planning to bring your own bike? Or rent one? I think that if you’re afraid of heights this is not a good idea. You will be biking down after sunrise when a lot of drivers are heading down in their cars. And there are other cars headed up too! The road is curvy and can be slick. The bike tours will follow you with a truck and pick you up if you get tired/scared.

The summit of Haleakala is 10,000 feet. You'll need a jacket. It just depends how used to cold weather you are.

Weatherwise: This comes from the National Park Service page on Haleakala at http://www.nps.gov/hale/pages/tier_o...ning.htm#hours
“The weather in both the summit and Kipahulu areas of Haleakala National Park is unpredictable and can change quickly. Be prepared for a variety of conditions. Temperatures in the summit area commonly range between 32 and 65 degrees F; wind-chill can dramatically drop the temperature below freezing at anytime of year. In Kipahulu, high temperatures are common but can drop quickly with the frequent rain showers. Intense sunlight, thick clouds, heavy rain, and high winds are possible at any time in either area of the park.
Health and Safety Concerns
Summit - The high altitude at the summit area may complicate health conditions and cause breathing difficulties. Pregnant women, young children, and those with respiratory or heart conditions should consult their doctors prior to traveling to high elevations. To help avoid major safety concerns, be sure to walk slowly at high elevation, drink lots of water to avoid dehydration, and check in often with elderly friends or relatives to make sure they're doing okay. Turn back and seek medical aid if you have health concerns.”

People do get car sick on the Hana Road. Hence the Dramamine for those susceptible to car sickness. It generally affects passengers. I’m not sure drivers get car sick. Mostly they just have their hands glued to the wheel!

You’re staying in a very nice area in Maui so be sure and enjoy it and don’t get too exhausted on the drives to Haleakala or Hana. Lahaina is a nice town to explore. Try Maui potato chips, guri-guri(a sherbert like dessert), mochi.

Seems like we’ve covered Oahu and Maui. Now what questions on Big Island and Kauai?

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Deblynn

I have the same question as gchizz; is Pacific O's or IO's better view and food? Want seafood with nice oceanview setting. Thanks

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

THANKS!!!!!!
How many times have you been to Hawaii? I can't believe how nice it is of all of you to take the time to help me out.
With that said... 1 more question about the ride down Mt Haleakala.. from sunrise to finish (on the bike or not) when do you figure I will get back to my hotel? I just want to know how much of the day I have left for relaxation.
Not really ready for my Big Island questions. To start...can I do the volcano in 1 day? Hilo in one day? (if I get up early, and come home very late?), and then the 3rd day do the drive on the coast, and maybe Waipio in 1 day and a half? Any thoughts???
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 07:35 PM

how fun for you! we are going for our 3rd time....we go without many things in order to save $$$ for this trip! Here's our picks (from teens to teethless) Oahu: go the the Aloha Stadium Swap meet....it's wed, fri's and sat's. get all your souvinirs at a fraction of the cost. DON'T MISS PEARL HARBOR. Go the Pali Lookout (a short drive from Honolulu) and catch a beautiful view. Buzz to the North Shore (great "old hawaii") and Waimea Bay. Away from hono and crowds and remember the Beach Boys made the bay famous! Great snorkeling at hanama bay. Maui: best beach is kaanapali and 5 mins. north of there (I can't remember the name). all of maui is beautiful. You have to do a luau....I suggest Waimea Sunset Luau. it's awesome. You'll have agreat time! They are the friendliest folks in the world which is why we keep returning! Aloha!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 08:30 PM

"Should I just go to pearl harbor and the uss arizona and Missiouri myself early in the morning by car (I rented one) or should I take a tour? Is the information that they give you on the ships enough when you get there, or would a tour be better? Does anyone know how far it is form the hotels?"

The Arizona Memorial Visitor's Center is about 25 minutes from Waikiki.

The Arizona Memorial you can go by yourself without a tour guide. There is about a 20 minute film. Then a boat trip to the Memorial and back. There are a lot of pictures and other things for viewing in the center.

If you go on the U.S.S. Missouri tour, you may want to pay a little extra to have a tour guide. If I remember right, you can do that either when you buy the ticket or when you actually get to the Missouri (you take a shuttle from the visitor's center to Ford Island). You do get a ship's map when you get to the Missouri so you can do your own tour if you want. That's what I and some others did, but I'm an ex-Navy man and I kind of knew where to go.

Tour the monument area for the submarines. You can do that for free without taking the submarine (U.S.S. Bowfin) tour.

When you are at the Arizona Visitor's Center, go through the center to the lawn area. You can take some nice pictures of the Memorial, the Missouri and the Bowfin. If you're lucky, there may be some commissioned ships that come in or go out that day. Check the morning paper (Honolulu Advertiser) on the day you go.
Sometimes they will have an article about ships coming back from (or going to) the Middle East.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:31 AM

First, three weeks from today I will make my 10th trip to the Big Island in 5 years. We own a small home on the Hilo side of the island and my son lives in it full time, so he has taught us a lot about the Big Island. In three years we plan to move there.

Next to answer your Big Island questions:

"can I do the volcano in 1 day? Hilo in one day? (if I get up early, and come home very late?), and then the 3rd day do the drive on the coast, and maybe Waipio in 1 day and a half? Any thoughts???"

You can do the volcano in 1 day, but it is a very long drive and keep in mind that it gets dark about 6:30 pm and you would be driving home in the dark most likely, which is not fun. Narrow mountain road part of the way. As I said before it is approximately 2 1/2 hours one way, without stopping to see the sights. You could leave the Hapuna Prince very early, drive through Waimea and down the Hamakua Coast into Hilo, then on to Volcanoes National Park. On this route, you would be able to stop at Akaka Falls, Rainbow Falls, the Hawaiian Botanical Garden and the Waipio Valley Overlook. You need a 4-wheel drive to go into Waipio Valley and most rental car companies will not let you take their cars down there. If you really want to explore the east side of the island, you might consider one night on the Hilo side, otherwise you will be doing a lot of driving. Have a wonderful time. I love the Big Island.

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 01:03 PM

I hope it doesn't get dark at 6:30 in August???
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 01:51 PM

Yes, dark sometime between 6:30 and 7:00 in August, because Hawaii is closer to the equater and no daylight savings time. Took us a little time to get used to that and sometimes, still catches us off guard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -