Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Leaving for NYC tomorrow. Need a game plan!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an last minute opportunity to go to NY tomorrow staying for three nights.
We (DH, DS-14, and I are staying at the Marriott Courtyard Times Square West. I would have loved a boutique hotel in a quieter neighborhood, but since I planned last vacay and chose EVERYTHING, DH won.

Some of our interests are...

9/11 Memorial
Museum of Natural History (big fans of Night at the Museum)
Bryant Park
Saks 5th Christmas windows
Today Show (we watch it every day and we are geeks)
Top of the Rock
Play? Rush/Lottery or TCKTS? Don't have our hearts set on any show in particular but would love to see a musical

Does anyone know about these free tours? I remember a woman on an old AOL NYC tourist forum who gave free walking tours for the love of her city.
http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/

While we've been to the city a few times, I don't know it well and don't know how to map it out.
No art museums this time. And no shopping although visiting stores like Dylan's Candy or FAO might be fun.

How about a good deli or restaurants near us? Actually are very happy to venture past our hotel area for eats.

Thank you in advance for my rather frantic request
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 05:57 PM

You will want to reserve tickets for the 9/11 if at all possible.

For show tickets go to broadwaybox.com and order tickets at a discount to be held at the box office (no waiting on line - it;s getting cold - and avoid wasting time)

For restaurants it's good to ask for specific cuisines and price range.
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 06:59 PM

Bryant Park is set up for the holiday season right now, which could be fun. Ice skating rink (seems bigger and less crowded than Rockefeller Ctr) and stalls set up for Christmas markets. And yes, reserve your 9/11 tix in advance online.
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Broadway tip nytraveler! While we would like to see a show we aren't set on any particular one so this seems like a good option.

We aren't into fine dining. Dont want to spend $$$. Ethnic is great. We went to a Korean BBQ place years ago that was a hit with the kids. wish i could remember the name. Would love to get to China Town for dim sum.

Ice skating might be fun. I will NOT be doing it. DH should not be doing it. Wonder if DS would do it alone?
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 07:41 PM

I would do Empire State building over the Rock. Bryant Park is in full swing as a Christmas market.
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 07:46 PM

If you are leaving tomorrow, you will still be here for the start of the balloon inflation Wed afternoon maybe.

You might enjoy a Central Park walk that morning.
http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/expl...r-27-2013.html
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 04:24 AM

Just find a fun neighborhood and explore - and there are good food options all over NYC. Personally - I love walking around Greenwich Village - with many Pizza (Pie) places and other good choices. Easy to get to via subway.

And I also think the kids would like seeing NY from the top of the Empire State building- or maybe from the top of the Rockerfeller Center - where the skating is located.
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 04:26 AM

As noted - I too prefer the Empire State building view over the Top of the Rock - but the Rock view does give you a more intimate view of the surrounding hi-rises. Both work fine for first timers.
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Oh Sue, I love the idea of the pre-parade balloon tour! Unfortunately, we are leaving on the first flight out that morning. Are you the Sue that used to post on the AOL boards years ago?

Happy Thanksgivukkah to you!

Tomsd, I've never really spent much time in Greenwich Village. I've always wanted to.

We are in the plane right now and I'm about to reserve tickets for the 9/11 memorial for this afternoon. Good tip!
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 06:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you've never seen it before, try shopping in the Lower East Side especially Orchard Street. http://gonyc.about.com/od/neighborho.../lowereast.htm
The tenement museum is there too.
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 06:35 AM

GAJ: Greenwich Village is classic - tree lined streets - low rise buildings for the most part - and students walking around from NYU. Try Bleeker Street for a bunch of good choices, and also Washington Square is beautiful with a lot of things going on. The kids would also probably like a hot chocolate at Max Breeners - and on and on.

Get to know the subway schedule and you can find several stops for Greenwich Village - including Union Sq as I recall.
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Okay, so our plan for today is to drop our luggage off at the hotel and go to the 9/11 Memorial. I am thinking we would spend about two hours there (maybe not that much since the museum is not open yet?) Then maybe dim sum in Chinatown (recs? I've seen mixed reviews about Jing Fong) or really good pizza rec in the village?
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 08:02 AM

There are many good pizza joints in or near Greenwich Village - and they include Lombardy (the Original pie place?), John's, Joe's, and Keste is also very good (along with others on Bleeker St) but my favorite for the classic Magherita - made in the authentic brick oven - is a few blocks away in the East Village at Motrino's. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/3/147856...e/Motorino-NYC
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 08:05 AM

Here's a pic - made with "Buffalo" Mozzerella, San Marzano tomatoes (grown near Naples - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marzano_tomato )- and topped with fresh basil. http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/3/1478...ta-pizza-photo
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 10:16 AM

GA I am a Sue who posted there under the name ztaks -- What was your screen name? Contact me off of FODORs because I don't know how to get messages on FODORs with your screen name. A bunch of us are in a private group that has dinner meet ups once or twice a year when some of the out-of-towners show up.
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Hey Sue, I am trying to remember my screen name because I think I had a few. Lolly912 or boyoboyoboy. I was not a regular poster but I certainly was a reader! Lol! The boards were invaluable for several visits. In addition to you I remember a Daniel who had excellent restaurant recs.

The 9/11 Memorial was starkly beautiful and moving. I was remembering my visit to the top when I was a child, and when we went to ground zero 3 months after 9/11. The frantic yet hopeful photos of missing loved ones were devastating. The memorial was well done. I wish the museum was finished. Did I say we might spend 2 hours there? Ummmm, we might have had it not been so freaking cold. It was a beautiful sunny day, but the temps and the WIND were nearly unbearable.

The cold kind of dictated our plans. We walked to Joe's pizza on Carmine because it seemed a straight line. Thank goodness it was not crowded as it is so small and more of a take out than sit down. We were able to snag a cfew stools at the counter for a few slices. After that we walked up Bleeker St. I could have spent lots more time there.

We then did the very touristy thing and went to Times Square. Our 14 yo loved that. We walked around Toys r Us and felt like kids again. Then we walked to Schmackerys for yummy cookies, tea and cider. Their sweet corn cookie was sooooo good! While I do think we were prepared for the temps, the wind yesterday was brutal. My face is red with windburn. We've read that today will not be so bad. Hopefully the pesky headache I had all day yesterday (that woke me at 2:30 a.m.) will go away!
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 02:35 AM

Glad you had a good time strolling around the Village yesterday and hope ye feel better today.

Since you are by Times Square - if you want to feel like you are also visiting France - take a short stroll over to this very cute/authentic French Restaurant for lunch - Tout Va Bien - @ 311 W 51st St - which is not only very tasty - (and not expensive) but has for years been frequented by many French Americans and visitor from France.

http://www.letoutvabien.com/
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 02:44 AM

Une Plus: The lunch is the best value at Tout Va Bien (and the desserts are tres bien) They also make a wonderful - house/gratis Sangria. (It even tasted wonderful following my Kir.

Here are a couple of recommendations from past diners - but as anywhere - you can find others who are not as impressed:

Posted by Shweta on 08/07/2012
Quality typical French bistro
If you're in the area , I definitely reccomend this French bistro. The bouillabaisse is amazing , great deserts and amazing service. I eat here at least once a month and it has been better in the past few months , maybe they changed chef or something. The tables are a bit cramped reminds me of a Paris bistro

Posted by Jude on 07/18/2012
A great experience
I truly had a wonderful experience. For me it was an adventure. It is a quaint restaurant. I felt so home there - they made me feel like a "regular" a member of the neighborhood. I told them I wanted a French experience and they gave it to me. I honestly did not want to leave - I just did not want it to end. The customer service was excellent, the food delicious, and the price was perfect. Thank you. I recommend this lovely restaurant. Upon my return to New York, I will visit. I am anxious to enjoy this great experience again.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Okay, well that stinks! A killer headache woke me up at 2:30 this morning. I checked the news and that's when I learned about the horrible storm set to slam the entire East coast. We fly stand-by so my fears are well-grounded. When DH woke up we began scrambling, looking at all our options. We decided that we needed to leave today instead of the first flight on Wed. We thought we'd be safe waiting until the six o'clock flight, so we made the most of today. We missed the Today Show due to our frantic morning. We did go to the top of the Rock which was fabulous. There was NO wait, and the day and the views were glorious. The wind today was much lighter and it didn't feel nearly as cold as yesterday. We bought one of the silly sitting on top of the Rock pictures. After that we went to the Museum of Natural History. It was interesting and fun, but layout is confusing to say the least. I loved seeing the giant blue whale that I remembered seeing when I was five! A bit disappointing as I thought more of it would resemble night at the museum. Our son just studied biodiversity in Biology so that was interesting for him. I imagined how wonderful it would be to have access to that museum when your children were studying different subjects (Earth Science, Different Native American tribes etc.) I am so grateful we didn't purchase tickets to a show yet. We were leaning towards Romeo and Juliet because he's reading it in his English class and well...Orlando Bloom! DS is a Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean freak. While I am so bummed our getaway fizzled, I am so grateful that our Thanksgiving did not turn into Planes, Trains and Automobiles! We did get socked with a night at our hotel, but we canceled in time to not get charged for Tuesday night too. We WILL try again! Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful, generous help. I am bookmarking this, and am confident we will get to use it again soon.