Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Laurelhurst or Lenora Street in Seattle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I are going up to Seattle in August to attend her freshman orientation at UW. I was looking for a condo instead of a hotel for the few days we'll be there, and my choices seem to be a place in the 900 block of Lenora and another in Laurelhurst, very close to Children's Hospital. The Lenora Street condo is slightly more expensive, but both are doable. Any comments on which area might be better for us? We want use the few days before her orientation to explore the area. (While DD is on UW campus during the actual orientation I plan to drive over to see Olympic National Park, but that's another question.)

Thanks for your input.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What's the building name on Lenora? Around 9th @ Lenora is under some serious construction right now, several high-rises going up... it's a big mess. My office is in the 200 block of Lenora and I drive thru the area every day.

I have to check a map, but isn't Laurelhurst way up north of the city?

I can understand wanting a condo, but would continue looking to find a better location than either of these two specific ones.

Watertown Hotel is nice and right off the freeway at the University exit. Are you sure you wouldn't consider it for the perfect location for what you want to do?
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:06 AM

If you want to post the address on Lenora I'm happy to do a drive-by and report what I see
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Laurelhurst is a residential neighborhood; Lenora Street is within walking distance of everything downtown Seattle has to offer.

Accept suze's generous offer.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Wow--thanks, suze! The address is 910 Lenore St. It is advertised as a newly constructed condo building. The other condo in Laurelhurst is very close to UW, which would be a convenient way to see the university area. It is described as an older (1949) building with wood floors, etc. Would be interested to hear whether that or the Lenore St. neighborhoods are suitable for walking around at night.

I have searched for condos because hotel rooms are priced very high that week, and I haven't had any luck on priceline. Given what out-of-state college is going to cost us, I'm looking to save where I can!

Thanks again
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Laurelhurst is a very upscale residential neighborhood that also happens to have a fair quantity of condos and student housing. It's also a case of exactly where - post your address and I can give it a drive-by as I travel around the area pretty much every day.

9th and Lenora is, as Suze says, in the middle of a rapidly developing area. Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has been buying up and developing property all around that area; there's a big Whole Foods market right in the same block as 910, so certainly survivable and comfortable. However it's several blocks in any direction from what you'd call downtown attractions. In the meantime, where ever it's not redeveloped, it's something of a hodgepodge of condos, windowless offices, parking lots and former car dealers. It's safe enough, but (IMO) blah.

Laurelhurst is close to the upscale University Village shopping center, with shops ranging from Crate and Barrel to Pottery Barn, Tommy Bahama and the like, also several pretty good restaurants. Laurelhurst has good bus access downtown if you don't want to be tied to a car all the time.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Downtown has excellent bus service to UW, too.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Okay--I've emailed the owner of the Laurelhurst condo for the exact location, and will let you know when I have it, gardyloo; it's very kind of you to offer. I've been to Seattle several times, and have always stayed in hotels, but since my daughter will be living there for the next few years, I would like to get to know the area beyond hotels, both for my husband's and my visits, and for when our daughter moves off campus to live in a couple of years. Plus, Seattle is such a vibrant city, I would love to explore beyond the usual tourist areas.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM

desertgirl~~ Sure enough, as I drove past that corner this morning there were construction workers jack-hammering right at that very location... you could hear it for blocks away!!
;-)

I'm not against staying downtown, just not in that particular small part of the city that is under such heavy redevelopment at this time.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:53 AM

I would not really advise walking around Lenora/9th area at night. Not that it is so terribly dangerous, but it is isolated. Not much going on along the streets. Think car dealerships, parking lots, warehouses, like that. It's not very attractive.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, suze. I'll cross that one off the list. Depending on what I hear about the area, I will either go with the Laurelhurst condo or keep trying to find a hotel, although hotel rooms are scarce and expensive the first week of August. I did look at the Watertown Hotel and it looks quite nice, but with parking, it would be over $200/night, which is higher than I'd like.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM

No problem, happy to help.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo, If you check in with this post, the Laurelhurst condo did not work out, so I am back looking once again. Thank you for your "drive by" offer--I never got an exact location on the condo, which didn't improve my confidence level about it!

I am still interested in the North Seattle area, meaning north of the University. If you have any recommendations for moderately priced (less than $150/night), safe hotels, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks again. Looking forward to Seattle as I sit in 105 degree heat!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 05:55 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There are relatively few places inside the city limits near to or north of the University. Here are a few to look at -

University Inn - very comfortable place - http://www.universityinnseattle.com

Watertown - sister property to the Inn, somewhat more up-market - http://www.watertownseattle.com/

Travelodge - great location across from University Village, but a traditional motel type property - http://www.ahoteldeal.com/UniversityTravelodge.html

Silver Cloud Inn - across the street from the Travelodge - very nice local chain - http://scinns.com/09home.htm

Hotel Deca (most recent name) - classy art deco hotel in the main University District commercial core - http://www.hoteldeca.com

Good luck!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Gardyloo has given you the best options. North Seattle is not home to great hotel options.

IMO, Watertown, Deca, and University Inn are best situated for your purposes. Silver Cloud Inn would be good if you want to have an up-scale shopping mall within walking distance.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, gardyloo and happytrails. The Silver Cloud Inn was my first choice, but it is sold out for the dates we are there. I will try the University Inn.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 09:54 AM

North of the U-District is pretty much residential neighborhoods. I don't think there are lots of hotel choices there. There's a Silver Cloud on Capitol Hill, less convenient to U-District but no more so than it would have been staying downtown.