Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

last minute weekend trip to Florida from the midwest - HELP?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, planning a last minute trip for easter weekend. got a few extra bucks from a work bonus and want to trat my fiance and I to a little weekend getaway. haven't been able to relax in a long time! my thoughts immediately went to florida. it is beach weather this time of year right? anyway, i have two goals. 1) go somewhere in florida we have not been before. we always like to try new places. so far we have been to clearwater/st pete, tampa, miami, daytona. so anything else is up for grabs! 2) looking for a good combination of relaxing beach resort plus nightlife. we are in our mid-late 20's. any suggestions! probably going to use expedia/travelocity to find a somewhat resonable hotel/air package but any suggestions on this as well would be appreciated. thanks!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 02:33 PM
GoTravel

Not a beach town but what about Key West? I think two twenty somethings would love Key West. Tons to do and tons of fun.

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Key West is a no-brainer. It would be my first choice, given your criteria and your previous trips. However, don't rule out a trip to the Bahamas, which might well be less expensive than a trip to Florida. Good luck.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Ditto....Key West. Considering where you've been, it's the natural choice.
Have fun whatever you decide.
H
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Uhhh, Easter weekend? And you don't have air reserved yet? You might want to check out prices and availability to help you determine where to go.

Many midwestern schools are on spring break the week before or after Easter and many families will be making the trek to Florida then. Hotel and condo rates are always higher on holiday weeks as well.

Do you have to go that week? You could det much better prices, a better selection of hotels, less traffic, and less traffic on another week...
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Naples on the west coast is fab.
Beautiful beaches, beautiful food,
shopping, and beautiful people. But
you need to stay in downtown Naples.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 04:44 PM

www.tween-waters.com
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Last weekend I booked a last-minute trip over the Easter weekend to Key West and South Beach. If you're gonna do, do it now. I had to make many phone calls to get a room; most places were booked solid.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies! key west and naples sound good. which airport do i fly into? i have free hyatt points. maybe i can find a hyatt in the area. as for flight - they seem to be in the $400 range right now. too high! any suggestions? cant seem to find any good deals!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:31 AM
GoTravel

mikie, I don't think you'll find any great deals to Key West because it is Easter weekend so I'd go for the shortest flight.

Delta has a direct flight from Atlanta to Key West via jet service. Where is your home airport?

I believe there are three Hyatts in Key West but the Hyatt at The Galleon is the one you want.

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:02 PM

It's way cheaper to fly into Miami and drive to Key West. You can get a cheap rental car out of the Miami airport, and getting to the Keys is an easy trek from Miami. I absolutely LOVED driving down the Keys in my rental car, tunes blasting, tropical breezes blowing, palm trees, and the 2 different colors of blue on each side of the 2 lane highway. There is a Hyatt in Key West. If you are young and are going with your girlfriend, I think driving down to the Keys will be as much fun as actually spending time in Key West. I think Easter will still be high season, so the traffic might be more snail paced than I enjoyed when I went in July and also in September. Have a great time!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Most people have flown into Fort Myers if going to Naples because Naples airport was restricted to private aircraft. That has recently changed and you can again fly into Naples on commercial airliners. However, I'm not so sure the club type nightlife you may be thinking of is the same type of nightlife commonly found in Naples, but I may be wrong.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:24 AM

key west!