Last minute trip to Ft Lauderale - Miami

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My work is sending me on a last minute trip to FLL and my husband wants to accompany me. I have the evenings to bum around FLL and one full free day. I was thinking we might drive to Miami South Beach area that day since we've never been and it's a Sunday so hopefully the traffic won't be bad. How is the drive? Is it ocean the whole way? Good places to stop? I was thinking about Nemo or the Stone Crab place in South Beach for dinner with the obligatory drink stop at the Delano. If any of these are bad choices let me know!

P.S. I don't guess there is any way that we could go to the Key's for a day trip is there? Just never been and always wanted to drive that bridge ...
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 12:05 PM

A1A is beautiful, but not ocean view. The ocean is on the otherside of the many hotels and condos that you will drive past.

Keith
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
While you'll only get glimpses of the ocean along A1A, when you get down to the South Beach area you can turn left (east) on many of the street, put a few quarters in a meter and walk on the beach for a while.

As we get into the rainy season you should be aware of a scheduling consideration.

Typically you get up to blue skies and the clouds start to build as the morning heats up. There's a good chance of thunderstorms in the middle of the day with clearing later on.

Not always but quite often.

So get an early start and plan on the possibility of stopping for lunch if it starts to rumble.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Well I'm glad I asked, because looking at A1A on mapquest, it looked like it was going to be oceanview the whole way. Somewhat bummed about that, but like Myer said, we can stop, park, and get out along the way.

If it isn't raining.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Kath,

In most places, especially in South Beach, A1A is very, very close to the beach.

The block from A1A to the Beach will be about 100 yards or so.

The trick may be to find a parking space.

There could be many consecutive days without rain or day after day of that brief but very heavy thunderstorm.

Be out in the sun as much as you can and only go in if/when it comes down.

Old Jun 5th, 2008, 01:58 PM

This is not Stone Crab Season, so maybe Joe's could be replaced with something else..
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Le Tub in Hollywood is a fun and quirkly lunch stop. http://www.theletub.com/ We did that recently, but were trying to kill time before our South Beach hotel check in. A recent review raved about lunch at the Raleigh Hotel restaurant, and the Ritz has an oceanview lunch place.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM

True the drive down is mostly condos and shops, not much oceanview. If you want to skip it and spend more time by the ocean, take I95 down to Miami, it's much faster if it's not work traffic time.

Grilledfish in South Beach is my fave - Lobster Picata - YUM! I love to walk around South Beach - there is public parking right next to Macy's by Lincoln Rd, 17th Street or further south on Collins by the Lowes Hotel. Then I walk Lincoln Road, check out the shops. Pizza Rustic has fantastic pizza and salads for lunch. I walk over to Ocean Dr, walk by the art deco hotels and the Versace mansion. When I get to 5th, I cut over to the beach and walk back north on the beach. My husband prefers the SouthPoint beach (the neighborhood south of South Beach) cuz it's quieter but I like to people watch. Grilledfish for dinner - I think it's about 10th & Collins.

Haven't been there myself but my husband said Bluefish in FLL (just off A1A on a side street) is great. I did see it on some travel site as one of the best seafood places down there.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Yes, it's doable. A long day, but doable.

"P.S. I don't guess there is any way that we could go to the Key's for a day trip is there? Just never been and always wanted to drive that bridge ..."
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Ah, well good point about stonecrab season.

Sara - thanks for the walking suggestions. I actually had planned on walking by the Versace mansion. ANd I LOVE the look of Le Tub for a lunch spot.

Perhaps Key Biscayne would scratch my "Key" itch without so much driving.

Thanks to all - these are great suggestions.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know if you can see Stiltsville from Key Biscayne?
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 04:57 AM

The name is Grillfish. Their Buffalo shrimp are great!

Keith
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 07:22 AM

I agree go to the Grillfish. I really was never impressed with Joes. - make reservations where ever you end up.

I always like the A1A drive although there are hotels and building blocking the way. Just kind of better than the highway. Use that to go back.

If you really want to see some of the Art Deco buildings - take a walking tour.

have fun. Don't forget Las Olas street in FLL. http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I think we'll drive A1A just to do it. And Las Olas is now on the list.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Oops, yes it's Grillfish. I always get that wrong.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Hello Beckytx:

I was reading thru one of the threads regarding South Beach Hotels. You had mentioned that you were going to stay at The National. Did you end up staying there? How was it on a 1 to 10 scale?

Please advise.

Thanks
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM

I loved the National! We had a cabana room which was great, but I can't vouch for the tower rooms. The pool and beach scenes were laid back with no problems getting chairs. The bartenders and waiter were helpful and friendly, as was the front desk. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would say 8.5. The location is a 10 for sure, and its so much more affordable than its next door neighbors. The other South Beach hotel I have stayed at was the Shore Club, and I would absolutely pick the National over that.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 04:00 PM
GoTravel

Kath, Stiltsville is very visible from Key Biscayne. Just drive to the lighthouse in Bill Baggs State Park and look to your left. You need to go to the further most spot but it is very close to parking.

In my personal opinion, I like Las Olas better than South Beach. Las Olas still has a local feel to it while Ocean Drive only has a couple of restaurants that are not complete tourist traps.

People watching is fun on both but the dining on Las Olas (Marks, Samba Room, Taverna Opa, Big City Tavern) I think is better.

The best restaurant in South Florida is Cafe Martorano. No reservation, super expensive, and a three hour wait on the weekends but totally worth it.

Also outstanding FLL: Bistro Mezzoluna, 15th Street Fisheries, Southport Raw Bar, Arubas Beach Cafe, and Charley's Crab.

What hotel are you staying in?

If the Westin Diplomat, do not miss Nikki Marina. Outstanding Sushi and a cool place to chill out.

A tip about South Beach, men aren't allowed in anywhere after 5PM in short pants. Dress up!

Old Jun 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
GoTravel

Daytime attire in South Beach, bikini or bathing suit, chic cover up, high heels, large sunglasses, large earings, hat optional.

Men; board shorts, rock and roll tee shirt, designer shades, Havianas flip flops.

Pool hop by day and stop at The Delano for a mojito. Also, The Hotel Victor pool bar.

Old Jun 9th, 2008, 04:04 PM
GoTravel

Forgot to add, my husband will keep a pair of linen drawstring pants in my beachbag because 'afternoon at the pool' can easily last until 7PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -