Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Last minute, counting on my Fodor Friends to help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of 6 is taking a Thanksgiving trip to LA. Normally I would have the trip planned but this year is different.
We are in the middle of a move and I have not had the time. Packing boxes always seems to win.
Anyways we arrive on a Tues and leave Sat.
We would like help with hotels in the $150.-$250 range since we have to get 2 rooms at least.
The children are 13-24 years old.
We would like to do The Geery Museum, maybe catch a show. We would also like to stay at the beach for a night or two.
In other words we are wide open and would love any help you could offer.
Thanks
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Er, that's next week. And you don't even have hotel reservations? I don't think this is a busy season for hotels in this area, but you'd best hurry. That price for a good hotel on the beach-- any beach-- may be difficult. I'd start with Travelocity, and look at lodging in cities like Santa Monica and Beverly Hills, as well as zip codes in LA like 90024, 90049 and 90025.

And are you referring to the Getty Museum? Since there's no Geery Museum anywhere in the world, I'll assume as much. OK, that means you'll want to find lodging on the West side of LA.

What kind of "show"? Theatre? A TV show taping? For the first, you can go to the Los Angeles Times website (www.latimes.com). For the second, I think www.tvtickets.com can show you a schedule of what shows will be taping while you're here.

You're cutting it very close, and there are literally thousands of things to see and do here, so it's hard to narrow it down to a useful set of suggestions.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'd click on Fodor's "hotels" and start calling right away. First hotel I'd call would be Channel Road Inn. Cozy, near the beach, and it is getting pretty darned cold here right now (by L.A. standards, not Minnesota, of course!), so you will want cozy if you're going to be by the beach.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Good luck finding a hotel room. If you don't find what you are looking for, consider Homewood Suites by Hilton. I've stayed in their 2 br suites and they are very nice. 1 room has a king bed and the other bedroom has 2 beds. The sofa in the living room may even be a pull-out (not sure).

Full (small) kitchen. Free breakfast. Nice, newer hotels. Worth a shot anyway.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 04:04 PM

until recently this would have been a great place to get that information. but since many of the best posters with the most experience have either been banned or driven off by policies here, i suggest you go to the following site, register, post, and you'll probably get good advice:

http://p104.ezboard.com/beuropetogo

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. You are right I misspelled the Getty.
I also thought of the Hyatt in Long Beach. One of my friends stayed there and had a good experience.
Have you heard of the Standard?
I also know I am late but this house selling has taken all my brain power at the moment.
I am sure this trip will be a welcome break.
Thanks again
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Check with the Shangri-La in Santa Monica. They do have some rooms available and are right on Ocean Blvd. The rooms have kitchens which would be nice for a family and they also offer a decent continental breakfast. Parking is also free.

I would say tripadvisor reviews are right on with this hotel. The location is outstanding and the price makes it a great value. I stayed there just for one night about a month ago while I was in LA for business. Although the furnishings are 60's type, they weren't worn out at all and the room was spotless. Some mentioned the kitchen appliances seemed old but I checked them and they seemed fine to me. I only used the refrigerator.
I stayed in the one bedroom with two double beds even though there was just one of me. It was a Tues night so hotel was pretty empty. I don't think the couches in the living room are sofa beds but I noticed that someone on tripadvisor mentioned getting rollaway beds. So you could probably get by with two rooms.

The only two complaints I had were minor ones. The room did smell just a tad bit musty but as soon as I opened the windows and let fresh air in, the smell was gone. I did have a fair amount of street noise during the night. By room faced Arizona St which has heavy bus traffic. Even with the windows shut, I could hear the traffic. However, I am a very light sleeper and also live in the country where I don't hear much traffic so that might not even bother your family.

The location is one block from Third Street Promanade which has lots of restaurants and your kids would love walking there in the evening. It's about 9-10 miles to the Getty Museum, just a straight shot east on Santa Monica Blvd and then north on the 405.

I would not stay in Long Beach as you will spend lots of time driving. Wednesday the traffic in all of LA will be horrific as people try to leave town for Thanksgiving so that might be a good day to stay close to the hotel, go to the museum.

Not sure where you are coming from. We are having beautiful weather right now. They are saying that the beach areas tomorrow may hit 80F but I think next week it will be around 70F. It really cools down though as soon as the sun sets so bring those jackets.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 05:57 PM

The Embassy Suites by LAX (El Segundo) get decent reviews and they are around $100 a night per room. I personally wouldn't be that excited about staying by LAX because there is no atmosphere and as I said before Tues and Wed traffic will be bad by the airport and by and down the 405 Freeway. However, it's not a bad location for the price and traffic on Thanksgiving and the day after should be much lighter. In LA, though, you never know.

Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:25 PM

Hi SB,

If you utilize the above tips and get to Santa Monica, make sure you eat at the Border Grill. It's on the 1400 block of 4th Street. We ate there (twice) it was so very delicious.

If you stay in Long Beach, the Aquarium is nice, the Queen Mary, and minutes away is an area called Belmont Shore, more specifically the shops on 2nd Street, is alot of fun. La Opera is a delicious place to dine.

And yes, do not miss the Getty. The architecture and the views are an added bonus to the art. Admission is free, $7 for parking.

Best of luck with a hotel, just keep looking, though it is tight, I am sure you will find something.

Tiff
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Hi again SB,

As I read my post, I should have been more clear, one could assume as they read it that La Opera is in the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach. I meant to say it is in the downtown area of Long Beach. Sorry, I must be getting sleepy, hee.

Safe journey, T.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:40 PM
lvk

Since this is a holiday week, you will probably have more luck with hotels that cater to business travelers rather than vacationers.

Around LAX, check the El Segundo & Manhattan Beach areas. There are lots of suite hotels, along with an Ayres, a Marriott, and a Doubletree.

I normally wouldn't recommend Century City hotels for a vacation, but at this late date you might find some availability and/or deals. You wouldn't be too far from BH, Getty, Hollywood, etc.

Good luck!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:52 PM
lvk

Okay, just did a quick check on expedia, and there seem be lots of options available in your price range.

I forgot to mention the Belamar hotel in Manhattan Beach. It's a newly remodeled hotel. Check out the pictures on expedia.com.

To clarify, when I say close to LAX, I don't mean Inglewood or anything on Century Blvd. I would avoid those areas, if possible.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. I now have options and I am getting excited.
Now if I can just get the movers moving!!!

I knew I could count on you.
Sue
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 07:50 AM

You're getting some good concrete advice already. I'll just add a few observations, based on my daily travels (I live in Long Beach and commute to Santa Monica-- one of the true masochists of this Forum!):

-- The Shangri-La's great rating on Tripadvisor always surprises me. I have used it as a crashpad for late nights at the office, and it's clean but sorely in need of some renovation. Paula's notes are all true, and it's not as bad as some of the dumps farther south on Ocean-- but it suffers in comparison to nearby properties like the Fairmont Miramar, the Huntley, the Georgian, the Loew's, the JW Marriott le Mérigot, Shutters on the Beach and Casa del Mar. Of course, you pay much more for most of these places.

Long Beach? The Hyatt is nice and there are lots of things to do in my hometown-- but for a nice Thanksgiving vacation when you're from out of town, I would look in other beach communities. Huntington Beach, Newport Beach or Laguna Beach all have much nicer beaches and a wider selection of hotels, to be honest. If you find yourself in Long Beach, Tiff lists some of the things to do (Belmont Shore can be a lot of fun).

You definitely need to work on this now. And heed the warnings on traffic on Wednesday before Thanksgiving-- it's almost as bad as a weekday Hallowe'en evening!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:29 AM

rjw - I actually liked the Shangri-La and I think it is great for families. I didn't even feel that it needed renovations-the carpet and furniture were in great shape. People who stay there just need to know that the style is older and not as luxurious. All the other hotels you mentioned are nicer but outrageously expensive.

I live in North San Diego county and travel around So. Cal in my job as a Sales Rep. I am beginning to spend more time in the LA area, so occasionally stay overnight. After staying at the Shangri-La, I tried the Car Mar Suites. Although they werer very spacious, they were also dated and the fact that all the rooms open onto the pool area made them noisy in a different way.

I think the reason Shangri-La does so well in reviews is because of the value. I would rather stay there then in a business type hotel that's by the freeway or LAX. I enjoy have dinner on 3rd Street Promenade and getting up in the morning and taking a walk through Palisades Park.

Laguna or Newport are, of course, great places to stay but sounds like the OP will be spending most of her time in LA.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:19 AM

paula: Agreed. I have heard that the rooms vary in quality at the Shangri-La-- maybe I just get the older ones when I make my usual 4 PM reservations for that evening....

It is a kinda-cool hotel, and it's used quite frequently for photo shoots and movie locations ("White Men Can't Jump", "The Doors" most notably). And I love the hotels from that era-- note that the Georgian is on my list, and it's just as old. If you go for the suites at the Shangri-La, they're on the higher levels and considerably nicer than the rooms on the lower floors.

I certainly agree that susan would be better spending her time in the greater LA area, given her stated interests. I only listed the good beaches south of LA since they're not far from Long Beach but a few steps up in the niceness quotient.