COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Last minute airfare needed-emergency travel!

Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Last minute airfare needed-emergency travel!

I do travel alot but I have never had to fly in an emergency. My daughter married an army man and now lives in Savanah Georgia and is now in a difficult pregnancy and in the process of packing to move and while her husband is away at the moment in training for deployment to Afghanistan soon and their apartment was broken into today while she was in the shower. She is now very scared. And she has been in the ER - 3 times already for the baby that is due in December. I do not want to make it a 4th. Can I have suggestions as to getting last minute airfare cheaper!!!

God I am scared for her and for him-If you have watched tv today then you know why! The one man went outside without his gun and was captured a month ago and is being shown on tv and now today 4 more have been killed. What do I say to them now--except I love you and I will be there for you no matter what because of how much I love you!

Anyones info will be helpful!! I would be flying out of Buffalo, Ny to Savanah, Georgia or to nearby Jacksonville, Flordia!
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:07 PM

I just went onto Travelocity and found flights from Buffalo to Jacksonville for $260 (put in tomorrow for departing and next Tuesday for return). They are some nasty connections (3 layovers, etc) but for last second, it might be your best bet. US Air looks like the best shot.

Try Priceline and name your own price?
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Actually just looked further down the travelocity results and for $290 there are flights with just 1 layover. This will be your best shot. Flights into Savannah jumped up by almost $200.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:10 PM

http://travel.travelocity.com/flight...04342076202009

If the link works, these are the results (and into Savannah, not Jacksonville. There are $280 flights.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:58 PM

Have your daughter contact the travel agency on the base. (It might be Carlson Wagonlit, or it could be under a different name.) They can't work miracles, but they are experienced in finding good last minute fares. She should be able to purchase a ticket for you, even if she uses your CC number. Good luck!
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 01:38 PM

First, best wishes for your dtr and her safety - my sone lived in Savannah for 5 years and was frequently scared.

I checked on kayak.com - a great place to price airfare - you could fly one-stop BUF-SAV in one week for just over $300 (if you flew tomorrow it would be about $400). But from ROC (is that Rochester?) you could fly tomorrow for $300.

So check out cities and dates on that site. We flew frequently Boston-Savannah and airfare was usually in the $250-300 range - so that would seem to be a reasonable price. Unless the fare is excellent, skip Jacksonville - it is really a hike from Savannah. Charleston is a bit closer, but not much - and fares are rarely lower into Charleston, SC than Savannah.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM

If you can wait a while, how about Southwest to Jacksonville? Use their "Shortcuts to Low Fares". One-way as low as $129 starting on the 23rd, $59 starting on August 5th.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 04:18 PM

Yes, do check Southwest as well, and note that they DO NOT appear in Kayak or Travelocity search results!!!

Emergency travel is one reason I hang onto a Southwest Rapid Rewards frequent flyer ticket as long as I can, because there is no extra fee to use it last-minute, and whenever I've checked, there's almost always been at least some availability even the next day to fly out last-minute across the country. And Southwest RR tickets can be canceled/changed endlessly for no fee. The downside is they expire one year after issue, but you can re-instate an expired ticket for $50 up to two years after the fact.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

I would like to Thank You all for your imput. It was grately appreciated!! I leave thursday. My daughter insisted I come straight into Savanah Georgia which is always higher priced airport!! I did get brave-I do use priceline alot for rental cars and do very well with it but I like to pick the times I travel so I have left them alone for airfare. But I went on priceline name your own price today and got brave-to get a deal I had too and instead of paying very close to $500. for airfare round trip I am paying $250. which I am very happy about. With all that is happening there in their lives I did not want to wait on this one.

With all the traveling I do and the fact that I like the best but at the lowest prices possible i always talk to hotel sales offices, guest services managers or even the general managers when looking at a property that I have never been to-to ensure that I have a good stay and have made a few friends in all of it also. Plus the comps I have recieved from making reservations this way have made me spoiled!!

Again thank you to all!!