airfare to Europe

Old May 6th, 2003, 12:46 PM
zil
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airfare to Europe

Please HELP!! What is the best way to get cheapest airfare to Europe? I'd like to have RT to Paris...but, I'm flexible....
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:58 PM

First, I register with every air line I can find; most of them will send weekly airmails with specials.

I do searches with sites like Expedia that will compare deals from several airlines. Travelocity is another one.

cheaptickets.com has been frequently recommended.

then there are "blind" bids at places like priceline.

There are also air plus hotel packages from places like go-today.com
Packages are usually based on double occupancy (two people traveling together).

I don't think there's one foolproof way to do this that gets you the best deal everytime, it takes a lot of digging.
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:59 PM

I meant, weekly emails
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:21 PM

It also pays to be flexible. A few years ago I was looking for airfare for 2 weeks late June/early July, arrive/depart Venice on direct flights. I hoped to use my frequent flier mileage, so I was checking possibitlites with a reservationist for that airline.

First airfare: $1200 r/t (yikes!) and no direct return flights available

Okay, let's back up a week.
Second airfare: $900

Okay, let's back up departure flight one day.
Third airfare: $650

Okay, let's back up departure one more day.
Fourth airfare: $900

I will never understand airline ticket prices.
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Don't know where you are, but for the best deals out of Atlanta I always check www.clarkhoward.com for the latest travel tips.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:20 PM

Have you tried the airlines directly. They have random sales/offers. Lufthansa has lower prices offered now for June travel and United has now offered a 2 for 1 airfare provided you book a vacation with them. Not sure of the hotels they offer-they are not the popular ones. But the fares look good.

I have checked Cheap Tickets and I have never found any cheap fares with them. In fact, the airlines offered lower fares and Orbitz was lower than Cheap Tickets also.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:31 PM

British Airways is having a sale and I believe it's good through May 8. Check their website at britishairways.com. Good luck.
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:20 AM
ira

Hi zil,

Try consolidators, such as http://apps.flights.com/
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:43 AM
donnabee

Another good site is - http://europebyair.com

They have good rates to Europe, plus you get $99 fares to fly from country to country in Europe.

Old May 7th, 2003, 07:20 AM

AutoEurope at www.autoeurope.com was offering some great airfares awhile ago. Not sure about now, but it might be worthwhile to check.
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:32 AM

I recently got a very good fare on Expedia, one of the bargain fares--$401 incldg tax to London from Atl in June. I checked the same dates to Paris and got a rate today of $425 including tax. My flight is on Air Canada so I am sure that is why I got the bargain but I do not care. The flight times are good for me. I looked up the Paris flight and it goes through Montreal from Atl. Give it a try..you get the price on the front end, no bidding or waiting. You have an hour or so to decide if you want to take it or not, then you have to wait 48 hours to be eligible for it again if it comes up. I looked at it on and off for a couple of weeks before deciding it was the rock bottom best price. I had figured out that it was probably on Air Canada and that was ok for me.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:10 AM

I register for a couple email flight/travel special newsletters. Smarterliving is perhaps the most useful as it combines all the specials into one email you get Wednesday. You can register on their site. In addition, you might register at one travel agency site to be notified when sale fares come up for the city you want. I use Travelocity and Yahoo and just got a notice yesterday or so about really cheap RT airfares to Paris. I checked them out and they were really cheap and for several airlines -- United, USAir, Delta, and a couple others, all about $400-450 RT from Wash DC. I think they all wanted travel over by June 30th, but if you can go in June, it was great.
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:58 AM

Travelzoo.com is a good place to check on a daily basis. They list the deals from across the Web (consolidators, airlines, etc) so that you don't have to do all of the searching yourself.