Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas,Zion,bryce,Page,Grand Canyon,Sedona trip report.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our trip started at Las Vegas.Arrived late at night rented Van from Las Vegas airport and drop out at Phoenix for $500 for 10 days which I found as a pretty good deal.We stayed at Ceasers palace.Had upgrade because it was 6 of us and we needed be close together.Our rooms were realy nice with huge bathroom.Next day we drove to Hoover Dam.Definetely drive early otherwise you will be waiting at check point at 10 miles long line.We pass that line on the way to LV.
Day number 3 we drove to Zion national park.On the way drove to Valley of Fire,if you have time it is worth of visit.Very hot. At Zion stay at Dessert Pearl Inn.I would say stay on the floor level with access to the river.Very nice hotel and very nice people..First day we went to weeping rock hike which is realy easy.Next day went to Angels Landing.Let me tell you.I am really adventurous and adrenalin seeker,but this could paralized you if you look down.As I was warn that Grand Canyon you can fall to your dead,this one is worst.I am suprised that people can claim there on the chains.But i would do it again.Frightening and exciting.
Next day we went to Narrows.We made it to Ordervile canyon.Very nice and very nice pictures we made .My 6 years old went with us all the way to Orderville canyon and back.Water seems cold at the beginning but you will not mind later.Take hiking sticks.You will need them.
If I could stay one more day at Zion I would go to Subway hike,but they did not have anything available at dessert pearl Inn.So next day we drove to Bryce canyon and more adventures comes..
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 03:40 AM
emd

jilkovina: I am so glad to see your report. I was the one who posted on your Sedona rental house thread. I am looking forward to the rest of your report.

You did not mention the time of year you went on your trip. It was in May, correct? I went to Zion and Bryce in Oct. a few yrs. ago and really enjoyed them. I did not climb Angels Landing. It can be a dangerous climb, people have died from falling there and I just didn't want to attempt it. How were the crowds at Zion?

I have also visited Valley of fire (last Dec.) and liked it also. It was nice weather then, but I imagine it is very hot in May.

Looking forward to reading about your week in Sedona. I find that people who stay in Sedona that long have a much different perspective than those who come through for one or two days.

emd (Eileen)
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Our trip was May 14 th-May 26th.this year 2007.
From Zion we drove through park to Bryce canyon.Drive takes about 2 hours.Bryce canyon took us about 3 hours,very nice.We did not do any hike and just drove through.You have to see amphiteater.It is closer to park entrance.Higher elevation than Zion,so trees are different and it is also a bitt cooler.Remind me Europe.
From Bryce around we drove to Page.We used navigation from Dollar rental car.I was suprise that after we exit Bryce ,navigation took us to the right to Escalante,instead of left what AAA recommended.So I tought that there my be some road which is not on map,but navigation system usualy knows the way better.What was our suprise when we found out that about 20 miles later we are entering dirt road(not paved)through dessert in Escalante.Now we suppose to drive 44 miles through dirt road where is no phone signal.
After couple minutes we decided that we are not comming back and we will make it through(we had Toyota Maxima van,no 4 wheels drive)
I have to say that this state road 400 is one of the most scenic road what we have seen on our trip.We just could not enjoy it so much because there was realy dark cloud on the left side and as everybody know there is potential for flash flood.So we drove realy fast,also in sand dunes you can get stock too.On the way we met one indian in big truck and he assure us that this road ends close to Page and there is no fallen rocks in our way.We took some pictures about 10 miles before we exit this road.After we exit this road there was sign stating -Do not enter this road unless you tell somebody,bring lot of water and don't enter if there is rain in forecast.There was no such a sign from other side.When we made it through i was glad we took this road and did not have to go from Bryce back torse Zion.
In the afternoon we arrive to Page.Stayed at Marriott.Afternoon we did Horshoe bend and next day we did Antelope Canyon.I initialy wanted to do Rainbow bridge on Lake powell or raft on Colorado river but nobody was up to it.So we would be fine just with 1 nite at Page.
Next day we drove to GC south rim continue..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 11:03 AM

Did you pick that dirt road up in Cannonville? Sounds like you ended up on Cottonwood Road.

Great report...looking forward to part 3.

Utahtea
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:10 PM
emd

jilkovina, are you going to finish up? Waiting for Sedona...
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 05:24 PM

What a wonderful report! I could feel your excitement and distress while you were trying to beat the flashflood. That is certainly something you don't want to be caught in, lol! Frightening and exciting, as you say!

I'll stay posted for your report on the Grand Canyon!

Good job!

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:41 AM
FLmom

Very encouraging to learn your 6 year old hiked the Narrows with you! Sounds like you had a great trip.

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Drive to GC was somewhat scenik,but also little long.We saw some rural houses,which I don't even think they have air condition.
Once we entered GC statepark,first view is Dessert view,You will see river from there.Lot of people also .From here we went to find our accomodation at Yavapai lodge.Which is away from the crowd at there is general store conveniently located close to it.Later we went to bright angel desk to register for tommorrow hike to the bottom of GC.For last 3 months I called every day to Xanterra park and resort and hope to get the cancelation at Phantom ranch for 2males-my dad and my husband and 1 female-myself,which I got but I had to cut 1 day at Sedona,even if we paid already for the house so we did not get refund for one day at Sedona.But I gladly accepted .This is lifetime experience!
At the morning we woke up at 4:30 to catch the first bus to Yaki point.It was cold maybe 40 degrees.I took my long sleeve cotton shirt and I was glad I did.We got to Yaki point at 5:30.I believe that first view is AACH point-very spectatular.South Kaibab trail is very steep and views is probably nicer than Bright Angel trail(which was our return),There is no water at South Kaibab so it is good for desceading.I had 3 liters of water
but I drunk very little because it was cold.We made it down at 10:30.Took some pictures on the way.Very nice part is where you see the river and than.
At Phantom Ranch we check in to dorms.Bunk beds men separate,woman separate.So definitely the bed down.Than we went to cafeteria and drank couple of beers ( I am suprise that they sell beer,even wine)
Since it was still before noon,we decided to go to North Kaibab Trail( just little bit)It was level for about 3 miles I believe they call it box.Which suppose to be hot,but luckily it was only 75 degrees at the most. After while it looked still the same ,so we turned around and went back .We passed Phantom ranch and went to the river.Very cold -46 degrees.We talk to some rafters.
I think at 5:30 we went for dinner had hikers stew dinner-very good-all you can eat.Than we sat and had one pitcher of wine and talk with people)very nice atmosphere).We went sleep at around 9:00PM.Hike up Bright Angel trail to be continue..
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 07:33 PM
emd

Very cool that your persistence paid off, calling every day, and that you got to stay at Phantom ranch.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM
emd

more, more!!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

In the middle of night started very bad thunderstorm .I could not sleep very well,woke up couple times.At 4:30 knock on the door"It is 30 minutes till five o'clock ladies,first seating for breakfeast at 5 .I was only one getting up.Took me ten minutes get ready.Met my housband and dad front of the dining room.It was raining cats and dogs and lighting.We had no change clothes,no poncho,wondering how we will make it 10 miles up on Bright Angel trail.Breakfast was good,all you can eat again,lot of eggs.We will need protein.Noticed that they actually sell poncho at Phantom ranch,so I bought 3 for us one for $5,well worthy.
At 5:30 we are on our way.Front of us is only one young guy.Temperature was about 65 degrees.So we better go fast because I am cold.Once we pass bridge,rain slowly stops.There is lot of waterfalls suddenly, I dont thik it was there yesterday. After we cross river,we went level for another half mile.Once we started going up we had to cross little creek so it ment to take shoes off and cross creek barefoot if you don't want your shoes to be wet.
Since the rest of our group stayed at Yavapai lodge and don't drive car and don't speak English except my 6 y.old.We try to make it up till 11 AM,so we can take a shower and check out with them.
Once we got to Indian Gardens we ate our lunch pack,took some pictures and continue.Got above Indian Garden and seems like the top is not far at all.So we are speeding up.Temperature still about 65 degrees.Took off my only one long sleeve cotton shirt I am hot.Sun is hidden behind clounds on and off.Up on the rim it looks very cloudy,We could not actually see the rim really well.We start spreading apart.Mu husband is ahead of me half mile my dad is behind me half mile.Getting to another rest house,thought I need to go to bathroom but don't feel like so continue going up.Seems like it is getting crowdy,here comes mules,so I have to stop away from pothole dont know if it is mule pie or water,so stay away very far or you will get splash.I fell little bitt sorry for these animals.But somebody said that they are happy to do this kind of walk with load.
Getting to the last rest house.I definetely not going to use bathroom ,seems like I would have to stay at line so I continue.I see Japanese tourists with cameras,the top is almost here.I did not see any Japanese at the bottom.
It is about 11 Am and I am on the top.I don't see my husband so I go get me coffee,I am cold.Going back to Bright Angel trail with coffee.My husband is there.We wait for my dad.It is 11:30 and my dad is here.Now go quickly to shuttle bus and go to Yavapai lodge.My husband call them once he got up to wait for us, we will be there at 45 minutes.So we took shower and check out about 15 minutes before noon.Very good!
If I would ever do GC again,maybe when my 6 y.old will be 16.I would start at North rim,go down,spend 2 nites at Phantom Ranch and go South Kaibab up.I would probably meet some of my friends who would go from south rim at Phantom Ranch,and swith the car key.They would go up north rim.
Also came to conclusion that too many people at South rim is turn off for me.So I would not spend too much time at south rim anymore.
Sedona to be continue..
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:09 PM

A thunderstorm in the Canyon - wow! That must have been something to hear. Pretty loud, I imagine.

Mule pie splashes, lol! Smelly like heck, too!

Where do you live?

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 09:59 PM

I love listening to thunder roll through the canyon!!!!

Utahtea
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

I live at north Florida-Tallahassee,I am originally from Europe-Czech republic
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 11:09 AM
emd

I love your report!! I feel like I am there when I read it. Can't wait for Sedona.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Leaving GC national park,going through Flagstaff.we can see peak of the mountains which are covered with snow,I believe those are San Francisco Peaks.Flagstaff looks pretty,we get out of the car to take pictures it is very cold maybe 45 degrees and this is May 23.th.
Approaching Sedona through Oak creek canyon,realy hilli and scenic.
First we need to pick up the keys from the house.We had hard time to find office,could not put the address in navigation system for some reason but who would trust this system anyway after experience with state road 400.
After getting key we get to house.It is couple miles from office.House is in the neighorbood.On culdesac on the hill.Inside is tile through the house,very nice deck where we could see red rock,hot top on the deck.House is very comfortable for 6 of us.It is open floor plan,kitchen is very big.We felt like rest of the day we will spend here.We just need to get grocery and get us some dinner.Grocery store is located agout 1 miles after the office on the right side.
This house is about 2500 sq feet and I would not mind to live there.I would not even mind to retire in Sedona.Very nice upscale town.
Next day morning we went to uptown.Nothing to buy,just for walk.In the afternoon we went to Slide rock.It is nice specialy for children.I did not get in(water is about 65 degrees).
I think I should mention price of the house rental,since it was litle confusing to me before I paid.
On the website it appears like $200 a nite.But it was $1000 for 3 nites,which comes $333 a nite.There is cleaning fee and something else,I don't remember.But still not bad,if you have bigger group.
Next day we drove to Phoenix,Stay at Chapparral suits resort,where we could drop our Dollar rental car and fly home the next day.