Las Vegas Transportation Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be arriving in Vegas at 4:30 p.m. - rush hour traffic. I'm staying at the Stardust. I'm thinking it would be better to take a shuttle for a flat $9.00 for the two of us than watch the taxi meter tick away. I think no matter which way a taxi would go, i.e. Paradise, the tunnel, Frank Sinatra, it would be at least $20.00 with tip. Anyone have any experiences?

Also, since traffic will be heavy Saturday night, and we need to get to a concert at Mandalay Bay, I was thinking of taking a limo. Do you think that would take most of the hour? If not, what else could he take us to look at near the south strip? Also, the website says tip for limo driver is included ($7.00 on a $35.00 fare is 20%). Despite that, do you think the driver still expects a cash tip? If so, how much?

Thanks.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 11:57 AM
trippinkpj

Probably a good bet (LOL) to take the shuttle instead of Taxi to Stardust since it's North Strip. I went from the airport to the Flamingo in 2000, and it was $10.-. That's closer to the airport than Stardust.
Also, check and see if Las Vegas Limo still has a shuttle service.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Typically it can be cheaper if it is 1-2 persons on a shuttle rather than a taxi, might take you longer as the shuttle will stop to drop off at multiple hotels. Then again you could luck out and be his first stop. So you can pay a bit more and arrive faster or get a good deal if not worried about the time. I can tell you that yes the limo driver will still expect a tip. I have worked in the front services (bellman & valet) of two hotels, so I knew a few limo drivers for the hotels and for outside companies and I have never heard of it until now that their tip was included. I can honestly say though that they will still expect one, whether you give one or not is entirely up to you. Guess it would depend on how friendly the driver was to me. If he takes you up the Strip on a Sat. night, yes it is very possible that it will take the full hour to get from the Stardust to MB. Have fun!!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.

Anyone else?
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 04:33 AM

If you want to save money by all means take a shuttle - it may be a long-ish trip if there are several stops but if that does not bother you then it's fine. In rush hour a taxi could be more then $20 + tip. Our last ride from the airport to the Mirage was $17 + tip. It all depends on traffic.

Most limo drivers expect an "extra" cash tip and if traffic is very heavy you can expect it to take awhile from the Stardust to Mandalay Bay. I believe (I could be wrong tho) that most limo's are for a 2 hr. min. Unless all streets are closed it is not going to take 2 hours tho.

There is nothing much to see on the south end of the strip except the hotels down there.

If budget is a concern there is always the bus - $2.00/per person and it stops all along the strip. The buses are all new and are double decker's.

A group I belong to have used Presidential Limo and they were just great. There are alot of limo companies in Vegas and rates are pretty much the same.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.

Actually, the limo minimum is only one hour. However, you got me thinking. If it's going to take about an hour in a limo, maybe we should just take the bus, and save the money for dinner instead.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:56 AM

You might want to take a look at this website (the Strip bus is called the Deuce): http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/deuce/route_info.htm

Actually, the bus is not a bad option and I believe there is a stop right at the Stardust. Even when we rent a car in 'Vegas we often don't drive during heavy traffic times. If it were me I'd use the limo money for dinner