las vegas airport to hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the best way to get to our hotel from the airport? We're staying at the Mirage. Are the shuttles reliable and regular or is it worth the few extra bucks to take a cab?
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 12:14 PM

It's not very far from McCarran to the Mirage-- and shuttle vans will cost about $5 per person; you can grab those outside Baggage Claim (go to the marked shuttle area). The Mirage has a regularly-scheduled return shuttle service from 6AM to 6PM.

Cabs are the most no-hassle way-- door-to-door, no muss, no fuss. It's not much more expensive than the shuttle vans (maybe $10? Hard to remember now).
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Take the shuttle if time is not a factor but money is. The shuttles are $4.50/pp (as of last Nov), but I advise against a round-trip fare - it saves you a half buck, but upon the return to the airport, you'll have to await that specific shuttle service or lose your $4.50... Shuttles are out the left door shortly after descending the escalator into the baggage claim area... On the other hand if money is not a factor but time is, take a taxi. This fare will vary depending upon the route the driver takes - freeway will cost you more. (I'm not sure of the correctness of the previous post - $10 seems cheap from my experiences, and other than for highly preferred guests, most hotels do not provide transportation services to/from the airport. What the poster may have meant is that the Mirage (as with other hotels) has independent shuttle services available 6 to 6. Most hotels provide this and they typically run every 15 or 30 minutes - depending - and extend beyond 6pm)
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 06:11 AM

A cab for 2 people to Treasure Island in October 2003 cost us $7 - the same back a week later. No waiting, no stopping at other hotels etc.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 06:56 AM

beachpup: That's what I meant-- the hotels have the third-party van services run scheduled pick-ups. You're right: The resorts don't arrange transportation to McCarran to any but their most prestigious guests. And the $10 fare was a fuzzy guess-- it might be closer to $15 or $20, depending on where you are on the Strip and how bad traffic is. Last time I went to Vegas, I didn't pay the cab fare from/to LAS.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Tess

Seems like we paid $12 total for a cab ride from Mirage to the airport. Don't mess with shuttles when cabs are so much easier and quicker.

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Be prepared for the cab driver to get an OK to take the "long way" on the expressway. It seems to be a favorite of theirs which racks up higher fares. They told us that there was incredible traffic on the Strip and this would be much quicker although we arrived about noon. When we got to the hotel we could see all the way up the strip and there was virtually no traffic. Going back to the airport the driver said the same thing and then sort of pouted and talked to himself when we insisted we wanted to go up the strip and we were in no hurry anyway. He seemed a little embarrassed that there was no traffic after telling us it was "gridlock out there". This time it was mid morning. But I could understand if you arrived in the evening.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:56 PM

Since it appears you are travelling with at least one other person, a taxi wouldn't cost that much more, if at all. Shuttles are a pain depending if they drop you off first or last. Being last can take a long time before you get off. I'm talking an easy hour during peak times.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 04:59 AM

Vegas cab drivers are notorious for wanting to take the tunnel to raise their fares. And don't forget they expect a couple bucks for a tip too.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 06:54 AM

swalter, do this: cab it. here's how i look at it: i just got off the plane with the great unwashed, pushing and shoving, etc., and i can hardly wait to get to the hotel. i don't want to get crammed into a shuttle van with 2 or more stops before my hotel. depending on when you land it can be a real pain to sit in traffic, knowing they're not even stopping at your hotel right away. what's worse, on the way back you have to stand around like a schmo waiting for the darn shuttle to come round. then you're looking at your watch trying to make sure you left enough time. when you catch cabs, you can then be on your own schedule. also in your post you said "we" so 2 people make it even more economical to catch a cab. figure it this way: 6.50 (not 4.50) x 4 = 26 for 2 people to get the shuttle, versus maybe 30 rt for a cab. is it really worth saving 4 bucks to sit with the great unwashed? nah! plus it's not like you're staying at a budget hotel. enjoy!!!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Alright, I'm sold on the taxi-I was leaning that way anyway but now I'm convinced. I'll tell him I want to go up the Strip, not on the expressway right?
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 07:44 AM

depends on when you get in. if it's late at nite, early in a.m., yes it's nice to cruise the strip. but not if it's rush hour or a very busy weekend. there are a bunch of different ways to get to the mirage. just relax. getting from the airport to your hotel shouldnt' be one of the things that causes you to stress out. you're not going to get fleeced, and in my experience most of the cabbies (particularly the ones from east africa) are extremely courteous and good conversationalists.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

I'm not stressed about it-just curious. Thanks for all your insite.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:47 AM

swalter, you chose your hotel wisely, in any event. the mirage IMHO has one of the nicest compliment of staff of the large hotels on the strip. friendly, courteous. they must pay well because everyone actually lools like they're enjoying themselves. have fun and you're welcome.