las vegas to sedona?

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
las vegas to sedona?

We are a family of 4 planning our first trip west. We will be arriving in Las Vegas around noon. (traveling from the east coast.) We would like to then drive to Sedona for our first night. Is this too much for one day? I know it would have been a better idea to fly to Phoenix but we already have the tickets for Vegas and the cost of changing them and the rental car would be prohibitive. We think we are up to the challenge of a 4-5 hour drive after a flight but would love advice. Our original plan was to spend the first night in Vegas, then Sedona (2 nights), south rim Grand Canyon (2 nights), Page/Lake Powell (2 nights), then 2 nights total in Zion and Brice area then back to Vegas for 2 nights. We have to shorten this agenda by one day, thus the plan to not stay the first night in Vegas. Does this seem reasonable? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 01:52 PM

My husband and I did this several years ago. It wasn't a problem at all. Hoover Dam was interesting, the rest of the drive uneventful, actually somewhat depressing on Route 66. You will love Sedonna, make sure you take the unpaved road, the locals will know what it's named. It overlooks the city and is beautiful. Have fun.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM
TahitiTams

HI..
Seems like alot for one day, especially coming in from the East Coast..I would stay in Vegas for the night and then head out to Sedona after breakfast..
You are going to love Sedona!
Have Fun..

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM

It shouldn't really be a problem, no more than 5 hours. So, assuming you get on the road around 1:00PM, you would be in Sedona by 6:00PM. You didn't mention exactly when you are coming out, but even now it isn't dark until after 6:30.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:13 AM

You can do it easily. It's only 275 miles and most of it is boring highway. Then you'll be in Sedona for two full days, which you'll want.

I agree with the poster above--be sure to stop to visit Hoover Dam. Then go to the dam at Page and compare the tours. Before 9/11, you got to see a lot more at Hoover. Page still takes you down into the dam although they have a strict security check before entering (leave your purse in the trunk of your car).
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:41 PM

We just took a similiar trip this past Aug. Why not cut one of the nights in Las Vegas at the end? Then you won't start your trip road-weary and will have plenty of time to tour Hoover Dam and get to Sedona in a pleasant timely manner.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 05:44 PM

you are going to love zion. it is the most underated national park in the us.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:30 AM

We drove from Vegas to Sedona and then on to Grand Canyon east rim and ended up at Tusayan in a comfortable day. In Sedona, only drove up and down the 89A and is was a bore and a waste of time. Very disappointing after what we had read before. And before anyone says, i know we only did the car and no hiking/exploring, but the only reason we went because all the reviews over this drive and through Oak Creek Canyon.
Had seen Red Rock and Valley of Fire when in Vegas so probably had too much of the red rock thing by then i suppose.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:32 PM

If you are coming from the GC to Sedona or vice-versa, the route through Oak Creek Canyon is the shortest way, in any case. In any case, obviously, Axelbobo's opinion is very much in the minority.