Las Vegas to Phoenix Drive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving from LV to Phoenix in a few weeks and someone had posted a note that there was a shortcut called "______ Pass" that would save up to 2 hours driving time. We were planning on taking Hwy 93. Can anyone help with more information? Thanks very much.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

I am still hoping for information on this "shortcut." Thanks!!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:08 PM

Sorry, I'm not familiar with "____Pass" even though I have done this drive. Just wanted to suggest that you repost this question around 7 or 8 in the morning since that seems to be the time when things really get going on these boards.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 04:33 PM

Maybe the reason you're not getting many responses is because those who have made this trip quickly forgot about it..I made this trip a couple of years ago, and the saying; "you can't get there from here", applys. If you look on a map, a more stright-line route from Vegas to Phoenix(US#93) could hardly be drawn. However I found it to be very difficult driving - two lanes most all the way; difficult and dangerous passing situations; and on the approach into Phoenix, terrible traffic - It was so bad, I took to an alternate return, via I-10 to Blythe and up US #95. Several miles outside Blythe I just missed witnessing a horrendous double fatality - head-on truck/car..What did I learn about this trip? 1. Don't be in even a little bit of a hurry; 2. I don't want to ever make it again. and 3. If forced to do so, I'd be hard pressed not to fly...As for a "shortcut______"pass"? I found dozens of passes, but none I'd classify as "shortcuts"..Good luck...
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for info. I thought it sounded too good to be true. Maybe they have made some improvements in the last few years since you drove it.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 06:59 PM

US 93 north of Phx to I40 has been undergoing LOTS of widening and paving and the last time I drove it (14 mos ago) I thought it was greatly improved. A lot more passing lanes etc. Personally, I think the rte on 93 is quite nice. Other parts of the ride are forgettable but not bad. Loop 101 has opened around Phx. so it might help you avoid traffic in the metro area (depending on time of day etc.) Some people take I 10 from Phx to Calif then US 95 north into Nevada. I don't know if that is any better but it is an option. By going that way you miss Hoover Dam which might be backed up but is a scenic stretch of highway (Hoover Dam , that is).