Phoenix to Vegas

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Jake

Phoenix to Vegas

I am flying into Phoenix and planning to drive to Vegas the same day - assuming its a 6 hour drive. How is this drive, beautiful or boring? Would I be better off taking a short one hour flight and spend the time saved in Vegas, or is it a nice, scenic drive? It will be our first trip to the area. Any thoughts?

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Bob

Jake: If you have time to enjoy the trip, I recommend taking the drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas to take in the beautiful country we live in... Travling north in Arizona, you should spend time traveling through Sedona and Oak Creek http://www.sedonachamber.com/ then passing through Flagstaff going west to Interstate 95. Heading north towards Las Vegas, you will travel along the Colorado River. You can stop in Laughlin, NV on the way and enjoy a smaller version of Las Vegas. If you choose to spend a night, the rooms are inexpensive. Then, you're only an hour and one half away from Las Vegas!! Enjoy your trip!!! Via Las Vegas...

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Bob

Jake: If you have time to enjoy the trip, I recommend taking the drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas to take in the beautiful country we live in... Travling north in Arizona, you should spend time traveling through Sedona and Oak Creek (see http://www.sedonachamber.com/) then passing through Flagstaff going west to Interstate 95. Heading north towards Las Vegas, you will travel along the Colorado River. You can stop in Laughlin, NV on the way and enjoy a smaller version of Las Vegas. If you choose to spend a night, the rooms are inexpensive. Then, you're only an hour and one half away from Las Vegas!! Enjoy your trip!!! Via Las Vegas...

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 07:29 AM
xx

If you don't go the Flagstaff way the trip is really boring. You can't count crosses on the side of the road. Take the flight.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Beverly

Jake,

It's about a 2 hour drive up I-17 to the Sedona turn-off (Hwy 179 exit). Plan to spend some time taking in the beautiful red rocks here. Then, another 45 minutes up Hwy 89A through Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff - again, an incredible scenic drive.

Once in Flagstaff, you can take I-40 West to Kingman (2 hours), then take I-95 (I think that's it) into Las Vegas (another 2 hours).

You'll see quite a bit of diverse scenery if you do it this way. Enjoy!

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 12:09 AM
Russell Farquer

Interesting...."assuming its a 6 hour drive".....it's more like 8 hrs if you drive straight thru and don't stop and see any sights....Sure it's beautiful...do you have the time...if not fly....go see Hoover dam and Lake Mead while you are in Las Vegas....just an idea!!!

Old Dec 25th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Duane

We made the drive from LV to Phoenix. But, we combined it with a overnight stop in the Grand Canyon and Sedona. Great trip if you have the few extra days.

A friend of mine recently made the drive and said it was OK. Kind of boring, but OK.
Enjoy,
Duane

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 08:39 AM
xxxyx

We've made the trip also. It was my first time wout west and I've never seen the mountains so I really enjoyed it! Sedona is just beautiful! As we approached Hoover Dam it was almost midnight and you can just see the glare of the lights of Vegas...it was pretty cool. It took us about 8 hours and we stopped twice. If you have the time take the drive.