Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, What Else???

Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, What Else???

Hey There Fodorites,
I could use some help planning an itinerary for 2 weeks mid to end of November. We will fly in and out of Las Vegas (first time),Grand Canyon...what else? We love walking and hiking and are in mid-50's range. We would prefer to rent a car in a block of time ( preferably at the end). Would Death Valley be a good choice? Sedona?
Thanks.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:07 AM
J62

How about Zion?
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't misds Bryce Canyon. I just visited the Grand Canyon, Bryce, and Zion. They were all fantastic, but Bryce had the most "WOW" factor for me!
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 12:05 PM

We took Scenic Airlines from Vegas to the Grand Canyon on a day tour.

There was a 1/2 off ticket booth for shows near the MGM Grand Hotel. We went to Blue Man Group, Danny Ganns show, and Phantom. Phantom theatre is done well.

We also went to the "O" show at the Bellagio.
You have to purchase the "O" show as soon as possible. We called on the phone months ahead.

We visited Valley of Fire one day.
Red Rock Canyon one day.
Spent 2 or 3 days just walking through the hotels. It took us half a day to enjoy all Venetian. ****Take good walking shoes.***

Hoover Damn touring one day.
I do not know about weather during November, but there is a raft trip that starts at Hoover Damn. It is very calm. We did it the end of May one year and it was Too Hot!

Hotel parking is free everywhere and very nice with security.

Our friends love Sedona. We have never been.

Take the good days to see the fountains at Bellagio, because we had wind one day and they do not run the fountains on a high wind day.

We find Las Vegas to be addicting like NYC. We do not gamble, but love the restaurants and just walking around. The inside gardens in Bellagio are spectacular. They have a theme for each season.

Have fun!
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM

I LOVE Sedona, and since you'll have a car, you could go to Sedona, then see the Grand Canyon on the way back (or there). It's different - and just gorgeous. I would definitely spend a day or two there...
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 12:38 AM

i second sedona and bryce canyon if you have time.

there is (used to be ) a good film outside the g.canyon about a trip into the bottom of the canyon which, if you are not going DOWN into the grand canyon, this film was quite impressive.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 02:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Any combination that gets you to some of Zion, Bryce Canyon and/or Sedona will give you fantastic scenery.

I'm not sure about Bryce in mid-November thought.

I've been twice in the past 2 years (person I was hiking with this past May had never been so we spent a few hours) and a front came thru and had 35 degrees and snow flurries.

You can see my photos of the past few trips at:

www.travelwalks.com

Select 2007 or 2008 trips.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 05:55 AM

Vegas is great, even for non-gamblers. Many hotels have some attraction that you have to pay for, but is worth it. For instance, the shark exhibit at Mandalay Bay is very cool:

http://www.mandalaybay.com/entertainment/sharkreef.aspx

And you have to go into each hotel and just look. The lobbies are amazing. And catch a few shows.

But Vegas gets overwhelming very quickly. I would not spend more than 4 days there. There was another thread where everyone agreed to about that amount of time.

So I can't help you with the rest, but have a good time!
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 08:34 AM

We loved Sedona!! I posted a trip report here a few years ago on Grand Canyon, Vegas & Sedona - there is a part 1 and part 2, right now they are dated 11/16/06. Just click on my name above (adnil1962) - the post #'s are currently 172 & 173
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 08:56 AM

I would agree...

Hoover Dam, Bryce Canyon and Sedona! AWESOME places to visit.

Stephanie
www.edufire.com
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 09:08 AM

Zion National Park!!! It's only about 2 1/2 hours from Las Vegas and is beautiful! I've never been there is November but I bet it's still great. It's one of my favorite places!!
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 12:45 PM

LOVED Zion and Bryce!
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 12:55 PM

Hi, DDest, I am following your thread with interest. We'd like to do a fall trip to the same area, but probably will include more of Utah than Arizona, depending on weather. We visited Zion, Bryce and the North Rim in May a few years ago. Loved that area!

Don't forget you may be affected by the ending of daylight savings time (depending on the state) at that time of year.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 03:25 PM

Grand Canyon-take helicopter as well
Valley of Fire
Death Valley (2days)
Red Rock Canyon
Hoover Dam
Ethel M Chocolate Factory-free

Zion-??? not the best time, but
still might be good.
Bryce- ??? even more iffy then zion
allow more than 1 day each from Bryce and Zion
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot,
No one mentioned Death Valley. So I should plan a route that goes north and includes Zion and Bryce and then head towards Lake Powell and then head south to Sedona and back to Las Vegas along Route 66. Won't we be missing the "Grand Canyon"? I read somewhere that the gates are closed at the North rim mid-October and we are travelling mid to end of November.
It appears that 4 nights is enough for LV. Is this too much for 2 weeks?
Thanks,
DD
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 03:58 PM

I would pick Death Valley over Bryce or Zion in November. There really is a lot to do there. It is a suprisingly nice park in the winter. Now if you had said you were going anytime May-October I would go to Zion, Bryce. I am thinking that Bryce is going to be really iffy in November.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

I have the maps out trying to figure out the best routing for Spiro's highlights. Any input?
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 02:35 PM

Day 1-3 Vegas

Day 4 Hoover Dam, then drive to Grand Canyon see sunset at Canyon

Day 5 Grand Canyon Rim hike, hike below the rim for as far as you like, helicopter tour, horseride on rim, view historic areas, scenic overlooks. Splurge for a meal at El Tovar sometime during the day.

Day 6 Drive to Death Valley, yes this day will be spent driving.
arrive at Zabriski Point for Sunset.

Day 7 Scotty's Castle, Titus Canyon drive. Dinner in Furnace Creek Inn

Day 8 Badwater, Natural Bridge hike, Artist Point, Devils Golf Course, back to Vegas

Day 9 Redrock Canyon, drive to Zion

Day 10 and 11 Zion

Day 12 Bryce

Day 13 drive back to Vegas and return home

you could add a day anywhere you like if you have a park you think you need more time in. it really depends on how much hiking you like to do.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 05:54 PM

I would go with something like 4 nights in Vegas, then drive to Sedona for 2 nights followed by a night at the Grand Canyon. From there, drive through Page to get to Bryce and head back to Las Vegas via Zion (split 3 nights between Bryce and Zion). You may want to add a night in Page or Kanab to break up the driving and give yourself time to see Antelope Canyon and in general poke around as you're leaving the Grand Canyon. That's 11 nights right there, and depending on your interests you could add a night or two to the Sedona/Grand Canyon part or the Las Vegas part, or just make the trip out to Death Valley.

A few things to remember:
1) the visitor services at the north rim of the Grand Canyon close October 15th but the road to the rim will remain open until the first significant snowfall. You may luck out and have the chance to go see it but it would have to be a daytrip.
2) Part of your trip is over Thanksgiving week so don't wait too long to make plans and reserve show tickets and lodging.
3) Bryce will likely have snow but absolutely go there. You'll have the chance to see it as few people do.