Las Vegas -- Getting Around

Nov 10th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Las Vegas -- Getting Around

My husband and I will be visiting Las Vegas next week. He will be working, and I will be on my own much of the time. We are staying at the Hilton Grand Vacations Club - Vegas Strip at 2650 S. Las Vegas Blvd. I have been told that the monorail is nearby. Is this true?

Also, I'd like to take a day to shop at the Las Vegas Outlet Center located at 7400 S. Las Vegas Blvd. Is there a transit system that runs along Las Vegas Blvd or would I have to take a cab? Google maps says this shopping center is 6 miles from the hotel, so walking is not an option.

I'm not much of a gambler, so any other suggestions for things for me to do during the day will be appreciated.
Nov 10th, 2005, 01:13 PM

The monorail has a perfect website -yes, Hilton is on the monorail and has a stop. And so is a shopping mall, don't remember the name.

There is a bus #301 running along the strip 24/7. You will be safe and busy in Vegas!
Nov 10th, 2005, 01:42 PM

There's another outlet mall too. It's closer to Downtown.
Nov 10th, 2005, 01:47 PM

Unless you're used to taking public transportation, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the bus to the outlet center. It will be a long ride down the strip! Instead, I would call a cab for the trip to the outlets. As BigJim mentioned, there is another outlet center as well, much closer to the Hilton, on Bonneville Avenue between the I-15 and the Strip.
Nov 10th, 2005, 04:17 PM

it's not the LV Hilton that you're staying at, it's the GV near Circus Circus, so you have to walk across the strip to the Sahara hotel to catch the monorail, I believe. Might be better to just hop on the strip trolley when you want to cruise the strip, however, (but your hotel is under some major construction so I don't know how "walkable" everything will be.)

Your hotel is safe and generally in an area that is safe, although between your hotel and the main strip, it doesn't always "look" safe (especially after dark) as McDonalds and a few places in the general vicinity seem to attract a lot of wayward kids, homeless people etc. Walk with others and you'll feel safer, and there are usually lots of people out walking.

Seems to me I've seen some shuttle busses going back and forth to the outlet mall but you'd be better off asking your concierge for advice. Or, it's an easy drive and car rentals can be cheaper than a roundtrip cab. Dollarcar.com has desks in both the Sahara and Circus Circus (advance reservation is cheaper than walk-up. I would suggest a nice long visit to Caesar's Palace and their Forum Shops mall, and the Fashion Show Mall is also maybe a half-mile walk from your hotel or a quick trolley ride.

The new WYNN Resort and the Venetian Hotel Canal Shoppes are both places I'd plan to visit too...walking distance to your hotel.
Nov 10th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Been to Vegas about 5 times now, on the 6th spent time actually "exploring" and checking out all of the "free shows" and sights at the hotels. Take the time to do so! I am currently booking another trip and going with friends who have never been!

Research what to see. When you do try to gamble, most hotels offer times and tables for those learning (I recommend Harrah's Party Pit during the afternoon - look for the table teaching new comers)

But, go see the lion habitat at MGM; the aquarium at Mandalay Bay; sites at Luxor; Sirens at Ti; take the Eifel Tower ride and watch the fountains from up high at the Bellagio!; shops at Aladin; the volcano at night - Mirage; and many more I am forgetting!

The monorail is great! It lets you out at different points.

Nov 11th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

I'm not so sure I'm going to be happy staying at the Hilton Grand Vacations Club. I've read that it's very noisy with the construction going on, and the idea of walking through an area of rowdy kids and homeless people to get to the strip doesn't appeal to me. On other visits to LV, we've stayed at the Venetian and Paris, which were wonderful. This time, because the hurricane hit New Orleans, the convention we're attending was hurriedly changed to LV. However, there was a shortage of rooms by that time, and this is what we ended up with.

Any suggestions for another place near the Convention Center we could try for reservations next week? I think my husband is leary of changing locations because of the cost to change at the last minute.
Nov 11th, 2005, 06:28 AM

IMO!! The monorail is cumbersome, because it is expensive, and a long smoke-filled (and in places confusing)walk through almost any drop-off point to the strip, and ditto back again. The city bus seems to me(!) to be the most reliable and least expensive means of transport on a straight shot up and down the strip. I took it to the mall, then planned on cabbing it back to the hotel with lots of stuff (but alas, didn't buy anything!). (I just walked the 2 miles, gawking, but it wasn't too hot and I needed the exercise.)
Nov 11th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Don't get scared, the area is "iffy" only after dark, and may have improved since I last walked it. At any rate, you'll probably want to take a taxi right through it, down to the area of The Venetian, and then do your walking from that point.

Have you checked the Marriot Renaissance that is right there at the Convention Center? Or the Las Vegas Hilton? Or really any hotel that is on the monorail line can get your husband to the Convention Center so do you have to stay nearby?
Nov 11th, 2005, 09:04 AM

What about staying at the Hilton that is next door to the convention center. It is off the Strip but it is directly on the monorail. Maybe because both are Hilton resorts you could change without any $. If not, I would stay where you are booked, it is a nice brand new property. You are right on the Strip with taxis and buses available at your door. The CAT bus (public bus) will take you all the way to the Outlet Mall, you'll have to transfer, but can easily do this. What about renting a cheapie economy car for yourself while you are here, parking is free everywhere, and if you plan on staying near the Strip it would be very hard to get lost.