Las Vegas eating and entertainment

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travelling to Vegas Jan 9 -13 (Sun - Thur)
and staying at New York New York...got a good deal through America West.

We are 3 couples ranging in age from 30's to 40's...from reading over this Forum, we've decided to try Hugo's Cellar for dinner...and then do the Freemont Street Experience afterwoods...just wondering what the cost of dinner might be?
I had a look at their website and the food looks good...but there is no prices. One of the couples is on a budget, so just wanted to know if it will be astronomical...we don't want to make them uncomfortable by suggesting somewhere that is way out of their price range...
We are planning to do the Paris Buffet as well.
Looking at seeing Rita Rudner and Danny Gans...should we order the tickets
ahead of time, or would they be available for purchase when we arrive in Vegas?
I was wondering if either of these shows might be available at the discount booth mentioned on this forum, or would it only be for less popular shows?
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 03:47 PM
KVR

We've eaten at Hugo Cellar's and was not impressed. For 2 with wine it came to approx. $150.00. We enjoyed Center Stage at the Plaza more and was slightly less expensive. Most of the "nicer" establishments will cost aprox. $100 per couple depending on what you order. Alcohol beverages will be more. Also most food is served ala cart, so side dishes cost extra. The best resturant we've found for good food at reasonable prices that include all side dishes is The SteakHouse at Circus Circus. Very good.

We've seen Danny Gans and really enjoyed it. We always purchase tickets on LasVegas.com 2-3 months before we leave. Popular shows, such as the ones you suggested, sell out quick, so I wouldn't suggest trying to get tickets when you get there. The discount booths don't have tickets for top selling shows.

We've tried to eat at the Paris buffet on 4 different trips and never wanted to wait the 2 hours to get in. If you really want to go, I would suggest going right when they open or be patient and wait. They will take your name and give you a ticket with a time to come back. Once you come back, there is still wait in line to get in the doors.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:05 PM

If you want a terrific meal check out Mon Ami Gabi. We always go there every time we are in Las Vegas. Ask for a table on the patio because you will have a great view of the fountains across the way. Check out restaurants on Fodors Rants & Raves & pull up the comments on this restaurant.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. I checked out the website for Mon Ami Gabi, and the prices don't look too bad...I just assumed it would be over the top...will make reservations there and give it a try. Will it be too cold to sit on the patio in January?
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 05:32 AM
KVR

We've eaten at Mon Ami Gabi. It's one of those resturants that gets good reviews on several boards, but we didn't care for it either. The Eiffel Tower resturant is so much better, but probably not in the price range you are looking for. The patio has heaters, but we ate there January 2 and it was way to cold to eat out. Excellant views of the Belliago Fountains.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 09:37 AM

I would not do Hugo's Cellar, there are too many other restaurants to dine at in that price range. Just about any restaurant in the Mandalay Bay fits the bill. Also there's Circo in the Bellagio where you can watch the fountains. You will need tickets early for Danny Gans. Rita Rubder probably won't be as busy, you may even want to try the 1/2 price tickets booth.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want an excellent meal downtown, try Pasta Pirate at the California Hotel. The name is a little cheesey, but the food and service is topnotch, - ask about the off-menu specials which will be very affordable to those on a budget.

Highly recommend the Shrimp Scampi.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Try to get tickets to either Cirque Du Soleil "O" or Zumanity. Both shows are suppose to be amazing. Have fun!
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 12:53 PM

One of my favorites is Canaletto in the Venetian. It's set on their indoor St. Mark's Square with the Kissing Bridge right there. There are strolling performers that come through the square. The food has been wonderful, the atmosphere wonderful or maybe it was all just colored by the wonderful dinner companion.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 01:40 PM

My family really likes Hugo's, but I will admit that the last time we dined there the service was spotty. Prior to that on all our other trips, service was top notch and very special.

If you are on a budget, though, you may want to go somewhere else downtown. Pasta Pirate in the California Hotel, or the nice restaurant in Main Street Station. For a similar price to Hugo's, I think you can get a nice meal at the Stratosphere....which gets you a fabulous view to boot.

You know, I've done the Paris buffet a few times now and I think the Mirage buffet is a LOT better. The price is fairly similar and you get more delicious foods.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 03:43 PM

MelissaHI - Does the Mirage buffet have crepes? I agree that overall, their buffet is better, but I go to Paris for the cheese bar and the crepes. It's the only place in town I can eat my fill of fruit crepes and brie cheese. Mmmmm....

Jane38 - If you're set on the Paris buffet, my suggestion is to go for an early dinner. You might be able to avoid most of the lines other posters have talked about because of when your trip is. The people who come to town for Christmas and New Years should be gone by then. But I digress.... If you go to eat around 5 or 6, there shouldn't be too much of a line. We usually go then and the longest we've waited is 15 mins.
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 04:08 PM

oh, sorry...no crepes as far as I can remember. They had a lot of things at the Mirage, but not crepes.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 09:30 AM

I love the Bellagio buffet but the lines to get in are huge. The food there is so varied...a foodie's dream. Husband will not go anymore as he hates waiting.

We had a great meal at Pinot Brasserie in the Venetian. We had the tasting menu and it was fabulous. Good service too.

Rita Rudner tickets should be purchased ahead of time. It's a smallish room as I remember. She is our favorite. I taped her first HBO show and we watch it over and over again.

Have fun!