lake placid accomodations

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
lake placid accomodations

Can anyone recommend a condo complex in the town area of Lake Placid?
Has anyone ever stayed or been in the Pine Hill Townhouses?
How far is it from town to Whiteface to ski?
Wildflower: If you are reading this, I read an old post of yours that you were a ski instructer at Whiteface. What is your opinion of ski school/beginner slopes and all around activities for families skiing and skating, etc..in Lake Placid.
Thanks
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Girlonthego,
I have lived in LP my whole life so hopefully I can help you out a little bit.

It has been years since I've visited the Pine Hill Townhouses (used to have a friend who lived in one) but they are very nice and spacious. There are many other townhouse complexes that are a little closer to Main St. Here is a link that might be of interest http://lakeplacidcondos.com/resorts.html. Also, you can google "townhouse rentals in lake place, ny". If you are interested in hotels as well, the Best Western, Hilton, Holiday Inn and Mirror Lake Inn are all beautiful places that are right on Main St. as well as other hotel/motels around town. It's a small town so virutally anything you'd need is close by. Main St. has the majority of shops and restaurants and you could spend the day just walking around enjoying the sights. Our Main St. is on Mirror Lake, which you can walk around. It is a beautiful, approximate 2.7 mile walk (many locals walk it for the exercise). It will take you through Main St. and along the backside where many "fancy" house are located. During the winter, the lake is frozen (obviously) and provides many outdoor activities, such as tobogganing, ice skating, dog sled rides, cross country skiing, etc. You can also figure skate on the Olympic Oval. Public skating is every night from 7-9 and, I believe during the day it's 1-3. I actually live just a block from the oval and Main St. and just love it.

As for skiing, I'm afrad I won't be much help there. I know, living in a winter wonderland, you'd think everyone here skiis but not true. Whiteface is about 10 miles from the heart of Lake Placid and it's a gorgeous drive. Also, there is a shuttle bus that takes people too and from the mountain if you're not interested in driving. There is a stop in front of the Best Western as well as other areas around town.

Sorry if this post seems rushed. I'm at work but when I read this I just had to respond. Please, please let me know if you have any more questions as I'm a native so who better to ask.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 02:01 PM

The best rental agent for Lake Placid is Margie Pappier at Merrill Thomas Realty, who can be reached at [email protected]. One of her best condominiums for rent happens to be mine - New Adirondack furnishings,three bedrooms, two story living room with fireplace on Swiss Road overlooking the lake between the Mirror Lake Inn and the Main Street shops and restaurants. Whether or not that is the sort of place you have in mind, Margie is a completely reliable resource.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

HI Ethel and Billbois!! Thanks for answering my post. Billbois, what is the name of the condo complex you are in? Have either of you ever heard of the Swiss condominiums? Do you know the size (3,4 bedrooms?) I actually emailed the Margie person and she is supposedly getting back to me soon. The reason I picked PineHill is that they have 4 bedroom units. We most likely will need the four bedrooms.
Ethel the link you gave me was where I found the Pine Hill condos. How old are they? Are they ancient? We would normally stay in a hotel. But, we are traveling with my husband's brother and his wife and children and Grandma's coming too. So, we figure the kids will all want to be together in one place. We are thinking of Lake Placid because of all of the activities besides just skiing.
So, how cold does it get up there at Christmastime?
Thanks for the info!!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:05 AM

girlonthego, Wildflower here.
Ethel gave you some great information on the area so there is no need for me to repeat them. Just warning before you make any commitment to deal with Merril Thomas. We, my husband and I, know this agency very well. It sounds like an advertisement here. Just be careful. We sold our estate last summer and chose Merril Thomas agency. Everything was perfect until we signed the contract. After that it became a very frustrating experience. I won't go to any details here but we would never deal with them again or recommend them to anyone.

As to skiing, Lake Placid is an excellent base for this kind of activities. You could also stay in Wilmington where actaually the Whiteface is located but there are no decent accommodations, places to eat or any activities after you are done with skiing.

I suggest taking one hour private lesson if this is your first time sking, then practice on beginner slopes where your introductory lesson is going to take a place. After that take a small group lesson before going on your own to the midstation or higher. Some trails from the top are very demanding, some easier. Ask your instructor. One more thing, make sure that you enjoy your instructor, if you are not happy with her or him speak up. I cannot recommend anyone specific, there are so many changes and new people since my times there. I would make certain to go after mid-December. Sometimes snow is not that great in the begining of December. But you never know with the weather in the Adirondacks or anywhere else.

As to Pine Hill Townhouses, I don't know much about them beside that they look nice from outside. We met some hikers who stayed there one summer and were pleased with their accommodations But we did not ask about any details. I think that Prudential real estate agency rents out this property. Whatever you do be careful about Merril thomas. They know how to be very accommodating until actual contract is signed, after that... Well, we learned our lesson.

Another issue regarding skiing and parking. I always recommend taking free shuttle from Lake Placid. It is about 10 minutes drive. Parking in Lake Placid in order to get a free shuttle to the Whiteface could be a problem too. You need to check all out on your arrival. I hope you will enjoy your stay in Lake Placid. We love this little village.

At the Whiteface there is plenty of parking as well but it could be a long walk to the lodge if you get too late unless one of your party can drop you off with all equipment in front of a lodge, then he/she can park and walk without boots, skiis, snowboards, etc.,
If you are watching your budget, I suggest bringing thermos of hot chocolate or coffe and your lunch with you, these things used to be insanly expensive.
There is a kids campus and all instructors were excellent with small kids. They have own slope and ski lift. How old are your kids?

Don't forget about x-country skiing.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:44 AM

Girlonthego,
I don't know much about the Swiss condominiums, but I've never heard anything bad.

Wildflower gave you some great advice. Parking is definitely an issue, especially depending on what time of year you come. Whiteface does have ample parking if you choose to drive yourself, but like Wildflower said, it could be quite the trek to the base with all your equipment depending on when you get there. We went in October for Octoberfest and I would say we probably had to walk a 1/2 mile from our car to the base. Not a long walk, unless you have a ton of ski equipment...I would definitely second the idea of cross-country skiing! I don't downhill but enjoy cross-country skiing (I know, I said earlier I didn't ski, but I meant downhill). It's been a few years since I've even done that, but we have some of the most beautiful areas for that type of skiing. And, I also second the idea of bringing your own thermos to the mountain. We're a tourist town so that should say it all.

As for the weather around Christmas, it's really hard to predict. Sometimes we're nervous that we aren't even going to have a white Christmas (hasn't happened yet, though) and sometimes it starts early. I would say to be guaranteed some decent skiing, you'd want to wait until Feb.(we probably received a foot within the past week) However, if skiing isn't the main reason for coming, then by all means come at Christmas. It's just beautiful.

I can't comment on Merrill Thomas as I haven't dealt with them, but I have worked with an agent at Placid Prudential in trying to buy a house and she's been very helpful...Oh, and no, the PineHill townhouses aren't ancient. Some are older, but they've expanded drastically in the last few years so they should be pretty up to date...If you want to consider staying at a hotel so you don't have to worry about driving much, look into adjoining rooms, but then I don't know where Grandma would be. I know the Hilton has some and so does the Best Western.

Hoping you're getting the help you're looking for.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Wildflower and Ethel. My kids are 10 and 12 and my inlaws have two that are 5 and 8. They will all be alittle older next christmas! My kids skied this year for the first time and did great. I think I would hire a private lesson for the four kids. We did a three hour lesson last year as a family and it was very good for my husband and myself(we are rusty!). We all learned something. I am no daredevil. I will be on the greens and some blues!
I thought of Lake Placid because of all of the other activities they offer. I would like to be as close to town as possible. Like I said before the Pine Hill's have four bedrooms which would give us some room. It will be a heck of a drive for us. (We are coming from VA.) My inlaws are in NJ, but my sister in law's parents live in Saranac Lake. This will be especially nice for her! (Both sides at Christmas!) Anyway, any more info you can think of , let me know. I will be wary of Merrill Thomas. It sounded like an advertisement to me too, but that's okay. I just want as much info as possible before I narrow down where we can all stay! Thanks again!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 09:33 AM

We love skiing at Whiteface.
If you click on billboies you will see she/he never posted before. Hence it not only sounds like an advertisement, IT IS an adevrtisement. We bought our house near lake Placid through Century 21 in lake Placid. No complaints.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Pat, I have emailed the century 21 crowd. Thanks for the tip. I have emailed a few places and I will see what each place offers and availability. Thanks. All of you have been very helpful!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Make sure you stay at Pine Hill phase 1 because the condos are better constructed even though they are older
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

luv to cook: have you been in the condos in recent years? Are the walls thin in the newer ones? Thanks.