Lake Placid, NY lodging

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Gretchen

Lake Placid, NY lodging

Need a place for a "family reunion" for the Wednesday to Sunday Thanksgiving weekend. Looking at either Best Western, Hilton, Holiday, possibly Mirror Lake Inn. It will be Mom and Dad, four grown children and their children. Two of the families however cannot come up until Friday nite. Any suggestions on the above lodging or other places would be a great help! Thanks a bunch.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Ben

Gretchen: If you can swing it, I'd definitely go with the Mirror Lake Inn -easily, the classiest and loveliest place in in the village. The other three are pretty comparable to each other - the Best Western's advantage is its location on the water with great lake and mountain views. If any one of them offers you a good "family reunion" package, take it - you won't go wrong.
Hope this helps.

BAM

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Mike

If you are not locked into Lake Placid, there is a great place abit south in Schroon Lake called the Silver Spruce Inn

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Gretchen

I personally would like Mirror Lake Inn also. Not sure if everyone in the family is in that price range though. Thanks for the info on the other three Ben. I was not sure if there was one or another that was better. Also, to Mike, what is the restaurant situation in Schroon Lake. We wanted somewhere that we could walk to dinner etc so we don't have to worry about drinking and driving. Although, we do have some nieces that have their license that could drive us old drunks around at nite. Thanks for the help Ben and Mike!!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:12 PM
gc

Gretchen,
We stayed at the Best Western on the hill in Lake Placid a couple of years ago. (One is on the lake and more central, the other on the hill with a better view).
We were very pleased with the property...clean, well appointed. Both are in-town, so to speak. If you want a little exercise, stay on the hill. If you don't stay at the other.
Also, our impression was that the lakeside property looked a little worn, but this was an outside impression, only.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Cheryl

I would recommend in this order: Mirror Lake Inn, Best Western, Hilton and Holiday, with the Mirror Lake Inn being way in front of the other three.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:55 PM
J

I have a great recommendation for you! I can't quite tell how many people you have in your part (i.e., do the 4 grown children all have partners, and how many kids), but there's a great place called Rock and River (www.rockandriver.com) in Keene, NY, about a 20-minute drive from Lake Placid. You can rent a house that sleeps 12 (6 in a bunk room, great for kids) for $350/night. It's a private house with beautfil deck, grill, and kitchen. They also have a main lodge with maybe 6-8 rooms that you could use for people who don't fit in the house. It's a 20-second walk away, so those people could still relax in the house with everyone else.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Gretchen

Hey that's a great recommendation. I will check it out. THANK YOU to everyone for your suggestions. You've been a great help. We are getting together tomorrow nite to decide on a place so hopefully we'll get this resolved soon. Thanks again!!!!!

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 05:32 PM
lawren

Hi Gretchen! My family and I just came back from Lake Placid. I'm in love with the area. Would have to agree with the other posters, if you can afford it The Mirror Lake Inn is the way to go. Gorgeous place and everyone raves about the service.
We stayed at the Lake Placid Hilton Resort which is next door to MLI. Location is key and both these hotels have that. Hilton staff friendly and helpful. Hotel clean and well run. But it is far from my conception of a "resort". One of the worst hotel beds I've ever slept in!

Holiday is way on the other side of Main Street and up this ridiculous hill which would curtail the walking that makes Lake Placid so enjoyable. With Hilton and Mirror Lake you park your car and forget about it. (Parking is hard to find).

While there make a reservation for Nicola's ( above 90 Main St ). Best restaurant in town.

Enjoy your trip.
L