LaJolla in February?

Search

LaJolla in February?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LaJolla in February?

My husband can attend a conference in LaJolla at the beginning of February for 4 days, which he'll do if I want to go, but I'm wondering, I just checked wunderground and it's looking like the temps are only getting to the high 50's or very low 60's is that about right? I would go with him just to get away from the cold here in Connecticut, but if it's only going to be temps like that, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

What do you think if you're familiar with the area?
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Also, the conference is at the Hilton Torrey Pines, any comments on this property? Thanks!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:43 AM

I would say it's absolutely worth it. I looked at weather.com and they said the average high for February was 66F. So don't know why the average is lower on wunderground. However, even it is only in the low 60's, thats a lot warmer than Connectitcut in February. It is possible to get rain in February since our rainy season here is usually Nov-March. When I say rainy seaon, though, that means a couple of inches for the month. So far this year, it's been very dry.

La Jolla, of course, is very beautiful and even if you need a light jacket, you would enjoy walking around the shops and viewing the ocean from some of the nice restaurants. We are having a bit of a heat wave right now. To put it in perspective, yesterday I was walking around downtown Carlsbad (on the beach-about 25 miles no of La Jolla) wearing sandals, a sleeveless shirt and eating ice cream. So in February, you could get some warmer days or worst case scenario, some cooler rainy days.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Check out the reviews of the Hilton at tripadvisor. They are generally good but is definitely a business hotel. As far as the location, you are not in downtown La Jolla. You are up on a bluff above the ocean. The Torrey Pines golf course is next door. You can take great walks along the bluffs. However, you will definitely need a car to go to downtown La Jolla or other sights. I assume you will be doing some sightseeing while your husband is in his conference. It's an easy drive into downtown La Jolla and getting around San Diego is not difficult.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, the mid sixties would be heaven compared to today (it's 25 right now).

How far from the San diego airport is the hotel? I would definitely be renting a car to bop around during the day, unless of course I just lie on a lounge chair in the sun....
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 09:14 AM

The airport is about 15-18 miles south. Not a bad drive when there isn't traffic but I5 is bad during morning and evening rush hour.

As far as laying in the sun, it all depends on the weather. I don't think you'd be laying out in your bathing suit although I have seen people from colder climates doing that while I am wearing a jacket. If the weather is nice, you could definitely sit out and read, etc.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ditto to everything Paula said.

We've been having odd weather this year. The last couple of days have been unseasonable hot..mid to high 80s! This year, it's even more difficult than usual to predict what might happen in a couple of days, never mind a few weeks! I think it's pretty safe to say it will be warmer than Connecticut, though! (Now watch, we'll get snow!)
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:16 AM

I am in Philly suburbs I will go back to my home for 4 days if you want to stay on the east coast!! The Torrey Pines Resort use to be awesome.(going back a few years.) They use to have people who did hang glidng off the cliffs. Not sure if that is still happening. Go shopping in La Jolla, check out the sea loins, in the Cove. Not to be missed!! It is a must do trip!! As I say I will trade places with you in a mirco minute!! La Jolla is beautiful you will be so sorry if you don't go. Is so worth it!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 10:18 AM

I'd definitely go. No question about it. Even if the weather isn't lie-around-the-pool warm, it will probably be terrific for sightseeing and wandering around.

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

I'm going, and I'm bumping this for skier who's husband is also going to a conference at Torrey Pines....
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Hey Nina -- I'm just happy to see someone else who goes bopping around...people give me grief for using that term It is so totally descriptive, though!

You will enjoy LaJolla. If the waves are big, you can watch the surfers. It's awesome!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:54 AM

Hi Nina, we will miss each other by one week. My husband's conf is 14-18th. I'm looking forward to the beautiful scenery. It was warm here ,in St. Louis yesterday low 60's....today it is 30's and snowing currently! Go figure! I plan to do the whole zoo, Seaworld, walking around La Jolla "fun trip" with my 2 year old, I'm also 6 mos pregnant so golfing is out for me! Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Go, go, go. San Diego is a wonderful city and a great place to explore solo, IMO. It is pretty safe and lots to do. You could, if you wanted, do Seaworld or the Zoo. Not only are they fun parks, but great places to be outside, walking, and seeing interesting sights.

Balboa Park is one of my favorite places anywhere. It is next to the zoo and is a huge park with wonderful buildings and landscaping. Great museums, fountains, you could spend a whole day here just poking in museums and sipping coffee. Go here for more info:

http://www.balboapark.org/

Also walking around the village of La Jolla would be an interesting afternoon. And that is next to the shores, with the seal beach (are they still there? I had heard some city officials wanted to move them, why I don't know) And University Town Center is a nice shopping center to visit, with Nordstroms, a food court, Macys and many other shops and some restaurants.

There are lots of things to do in the beautiful city. A day spa, there is one in your area, a Clinik, that comes highly recommended to me. If you want more info on that, let me know. Your four days will fly by.

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 03:49 PM

Another San Diego/La Jolla fan here. Weather doesn't matter. Go. You'll love it. Lots of things to do on your own from shopping to museums to the zoo. Go to Coronado. Visit Hotel Del. Balboa Park amazing!
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, we booked our flights (gotta love Jetblue, non-stop, $237 from JFK) and I'm going to get the Fodors California book today.

Thanks for all the suggestions!