Notices

La Jolla or Downtown San Diego?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Judy

La Jolla or Downtown San Diego?

Hi, we are flying into San Diego two nights previous to a cruise. We will arrive about 9pm so will only have one full day there and don't really want to rent a car but can if necessary. How far is La Jolla from San Diego and would it be worth staying there for just one full day? I'm leaning more toward staying either at the Holiday Inn (although I'm not a big HI fan..it's cheap & convenient) across from the cruise pier or some other downtown hotel and busing to the zoo for our one full day. Also HI has a Ruths Chris right next door (yummy!).

Thanks.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:10 AM
jabez

LaJolla is further out. I'd stay DT. I like the Hilton Harbour Island. (about 5 minutes from pier).If so,sign up for their CNTU promo. You'll get gold status and this hotel should upgrade you. (See Flyertalk.com/Hilton Forum) You can get a great view and a possible good price. You might also try Priceline.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:17 AM
x

i don't normally recommend people stay downtown but in this case it would be wise. there is a trolley you can catch there that will can take to various places around san diego, including the zoo. plenty of restaurants to choose from. the holiday inn is in a good location.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 06:41 AM
me

My personal preference would be La Jolla. If you are into lots of sightseeing, you may want to go DT. If you want to relax, I'd say La Jolla.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:59 AM
sd

Milage wise it's only 12 miles from Downtown La Jolla to Downtown San Diego. Takes about 20-25 minutes though and about $30.00 in cab fare give or take. La Jolla is nicer, quieter and will have a lot less walking around to get places. But if you really want the zoo stay in downtown - the HI on the wharf is not a bad place.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Lori

Given the limited amount of time you have I would opt for downtown. La Jolla is quite a ways away and without transportation it would be difficult so I would think. A day at the zoo, Balboa Park, or a visit to Old town, Seaport Village is do-able from that location. Have fun in America's Finest City.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Vic

San Diego is GREAT, too bad you're not able to spend more time to enjoy both. I've only been there once (7 nights) and could have stayed forever! Enjoy. Vic