must sees?

musts for breakfast
musts for lunch
musts for dinner.

recommended itineraries?

thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a Mexican restaurant up on the cliff overlooking the beach...can't remember it's name...but they don't just have Mexican...wonderful seafood...make reservations for dinner...very worth it! I don't know when you are going but if you are there during the Laguna Art Festival...it is a must...also check online to see if the Great Masters(?) performance is showing...need tickets in advance...this sounds hokie but actors stage great art masterpieces...it is very famous and amazing.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 06:32 AM

The Hotel Laguna is a landmark. Good place to go for a drink. I think the name of the breakfast place everyone raves about is The Cottage. It's fun to stroll down Forest Ave.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 06:51 AM

Breakfast at The Cottage is a must! It is a tradition in Laguna Beach. Waiting for a table is worth it.

http://www.thecottagerestaurant.com/

Also, for something really good and informal, you just have to eat at Wahoo's Fish Taco.

http://www.wahoos.com/

For a nice dinner with a fabulous view, eat at The Beach House. Get a table on the balcony over the beach, order a bottle of wine, and watch the sun go down over the Pacific.

http://www.thebeachhouse.com/

And be sure to drive over to Balboa Island (Newport Beach) and have a Balboa Bar. Order it "with everything". Then walk around the island and look at the cutesy and very expensive homes with harbor views.

And for a great lunch or dinner, either drive over to Balboa (peninsula) or take the ferry from the island (that's a great, short, 5- minute ride) and eat at the Newport Landing. Get an outside table upstairs with a harbor view.

http://www.newport-landing.com/

I used to live in the O.C. (Balboa --- beyond the Fun Zone), and I still visit every year. It was like living in a Beach Boys song. Fond memories!
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM

Las Brisas or something close to that is the name of the restaurant overlooking the cliff (if you're lucky, you can get a table on the patio). I second it as a must. It's also a great lunch place.
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 08:56 AM

We love Las Brisas, we took our kids there when we were there for 2 nights over the 4th of July weekend. Great place with beautiful views! For restaurants with oceanviews, check out The Cliff or Splashes at Surf and Sand Resort. Sapphire, Ristorante Rumari, Hush are all great places for meals. If you want to splurge, go to one of the restaurnats at The Montage Resort. We loved our meal at The Loft last month.

Where are you staying? Claes at the Hotel Laguna is very good with pretty oceanviews, we had a good lunch here also last month. Spend some time at the beach behind the Montage, there are tidepools and a nice stretch of beach there for walking. Enjoy your time in Laguna! ***kim***
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi - we are staying at a cottage in North Laguna. Really looking forward to our visit.

Thanks for all of the recommendations!

keep them coming -

Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 09:55 AM

The tableaux vivants show is called the Pageant of the Masters, and if you didn't have tickets in February, you're probably too late (AND I think it closes in a week or two):

http://www.pageantofthemasters.com/

Well worth it, so plan ahead for your next visit.

Las Brisas is a tourist favorite, but I'm sorry, the food just isn't that great. The views are lovely, so go for drinks and nibbles at sunset, but for God's sake, go elsewhere for dinner.

Say, Studio at the Montage Resort & Spa in south Laguna. Breathtaking food in a gorgeous Craftsman hotel. EXPENSIVE, but worth it.

Splashes at the Surf & Sand is pretty good, and the ocean views are unbeatable. The Cottage, the Beach House and Wahoo's are good choices. Five Feet is another local place.

Must dos? Just walk around downtown into and out of the galleries. Watch the volleyball and basketball at Main Beach. Laguna is a perfect town to simply chill. Go with the flow. Enjoy!
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 06:37 PM

Las Brisas (at least for lunch style food), any day. I don't know about dinner choices ("entrees"), but the BEST fish tacos we've had in CA were here. Also a fantastic ceviche. The views were a plus, in my opinion.(we actually ate inside, and it was a memorable meal)
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM

Great ideas everybody. Here's a couple more:

Beachcomber Café and Crystal Cove Beach and Historical Cottages.

http://www.crystalcovestatepark.com/historic.htm

Shake shack for deliciously famous "Date Shakes."

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/shake...stal-cove.html

Balboa Island Itinerary:

This might be a bit calmer on a weekday. It's fun to walk up and down the main street and shop at beachy shops, and eat a frozen chocolate dipped banana or Balboa Bar, rolled in your choice of toppings. I recommend Heath Bar Crunch.

There are 2 "original" frozen banana shops right next door to each other. Try them both!

Off of main street at the end is "Little Balboa Island," just another place to explore.

http://www.balboa-island.net/pb.htm#

From Balboa Island take the auto ferry to Newport.
You can buy ferry t-shirts, and jobs are available should you be lured by the lifestyle.
http://www.balboaislandferry.com/

Hopefully, there are still a few rides left at the Fun Zone. You can rent boats, or take harbor cruises which are fun. The guides point out famous people's houses and tell you how much they cost.

I like the Laguna Art Museum. It often has innovative and compelling exhibits, as well as historical landscapes of the area. Many galleries participate in a First Thursday Art Walk. http://www.firstthursdaysartwalk.com/content.htm
This is free, and most galleries offer wine and appetizers.

Heisler Park is along the main downtown beach in Laguna, and is so beautiful. It makes for a lovely stroll at any time of day, especially sunset.

Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 09:54 PM

Splashes Restaurant- Surf and Sand Hotel (right on the beach) Good food.

Las Brisas-Ok Mexican Food but great views of the Pacific.

Depending on the time of year you are coming:
Pageant of the Masters
Sawdust Festival
(musts if you are in Laguna)

Enjoy the beaches, food and luxury that is Laguna.

Hillary
www.edufire.com
Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:52 PM

Get an authentic italian gelato at Tutto Amore on Ocean Ave.

Walk along Main Beach, check out the tide pools and walk along Heisler Park. Should be able to see seals and dolphins.

Go to the Montage and walk all around the grounds, breathtaking area.

Fun, old fashioned diner - Rubys Diner for lunch.

Las Brisas for tourists, not locals, food not too good, but the view is.

Next door to the Cottage (love the cranberry orange pancakes) is Madison Square & Garden. Great breakfasts.

Wahoo's a local favorite for mexican food.

Elaine
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 04:07 AM

If you drive south on PSH from Newport to Dana Point, you can have a drink in theincredible bar of the Ritz Carlton, then go eat at Chart House. I watched the Hale-Bopp comet from the Chart House patio years ago. It's on a cliff overlooking Dana Point.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 04:08 AM

That's PCH.. Pacific Coast Highway. It's also a spectacular drive of 20 - 25 minutes.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Las Brisas has great views - the food imo is just okay. It is great to go and have drinks and apps on the patio.

For a funky great meal that is a local favorite go to Zulu Cafe - generally reservations are needed. Don't let the unassuming entrance put you off. Amazing food - chef owned.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 04:32 PM

i absolutely agree with going to see the Pageant of the Masters. It sounds like it would be boring or odd, but it was such an amazing show.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM

I agree with MomDDTravel - Las Brisas has great views and is a fun place for a drink and maybe an appetizer, but skip dinner there. Too many other places for a good dinner. I too like Zulu.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 06:51 AM

Cali - great minds think alike

Go to Las Bricas and have a margarita and cerveche <sp>...
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 07:46 AM

We enjoyed our meal at Studio, but I recommend getting an earlier dinner reservation (one that coincides with the sunset). We made plans last-minute and typically eat late so we didn't think twice about taking a later reservation. The setting was beautiful, but it would have been even better to have been there for the sunset.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 01:37 PM

I think so too Dawn!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -