Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Laguna Beach Area details, recommendations for a day.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

My husband is in a conference in Anaheim this coming week and I am tagging along. Fodorites recommended going to Laguna Beach as one of my day excursions. Can you tell me which area to hit (street names and such)? I was told there are plenty of galleries and cafes, people watching and interesting stuff. If you can also recommend particular galleries (I like abstract art alot) and areas for shops and particular cafes, or anything at all that you may think is fun to do in the area would really be fantastic.

If you could recommend the fastest route from Anaheim, that would also be fantastic.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Oh, and also if you know of a great seafood place to go by the water?
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 04:18 AM

A great waterfront destination is Las Brisas. One of the best ocean view patios anywhere. It's a Mexican motif, but they have fine grilled fish. In Laguna, walking distance from downtown. The main drag through Laguna is Pacific Coast Highway. Mapquest from your hotel in Anaheim to PCH Laguna. You'll take 5S to 55S to PCH S about 10 miles to Laguna.

In the neighborhood is Fashion Island Newport Beach, one of SoCal's better malls. Balboa Island is just off PCH between 55 and Laguna. A small group of shops and restaurants with a beautiful path around the perimeter on Newport Harbor.

If you aren't shopped out, South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa off 405 is a major hall destination as well.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:46 AM

Peppertree Lane is one of my favorite strolls in Laguna. Look for it on the opposite side of the beach. (There is an underground parking garage on the opposite side of the beach as well.) Great shops and restaurants. Javiers serves great cerviche! Las Brisas has great views! Heisler Park is a great place to explore as well as the shopping, art community of Laguna.

Go to Lagunabeach.com and click on their map. It shows you where to park.
-You'll see Cliff Dr. Las Brisas will be near there.
-You will see Laguna Ave. Peppertree lane will be near here as well as Javiers.

When are you going?
Have fun!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Hiya, thanks for the recommendations. We leave in just a few hours and am so excited.

Saw that the museum is free on Tuesday so will head to Laguna Beach then. Is it possible to do Laguna Beach and New Port Beach in the same day?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 06:51 AM

Yes. They are fairly close.

Ditto stumpworks for ideas. I have had business lunches and dinners at Las Brisas just for the view alone.

Once saw a floatilla of sailboats pass by at lunchtime. We ordered more drinks and actually hung out for a few hours, just couldn't leave.

Laguna is easy to get around in and see things.

Even though Fashion Island is an outdoor mall, it is also a unique experience. There is a Hard Rock there too.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

Ok, headed to Laguna tomorrow. Anymore last minute recommendations? I plan 6to check out the museum (free tomorrow), do some shopping (and street specific areas?) and then head out to the las brisas to watch the sea then head out to the beach perhaps to hang out.

Many thanks!
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 10:17 PM

The Art Museum and Las Brisas are right next to each other. After that you will want to stroll through Heisler Park (the path follows the ocean) and it will take you rigt down to Main Beach. Go across the street to Forest Ave for shops & galleries. The weather is absolutely gorgeous today and tomorrow. Hopefully you will see some dolphins playing in the ocean, usually do on that walk.

Elaine
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

Had a nice visit to Laguna Beach. It reminded me very much of La Jolla near San Diego. Cute little town with shopping and restaurants! Missed the museum (sat too long by the beach just to people watch) had a really nice time though. Thanks for all the advise!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 03:28 PM

"Even though Fashion Island is an outdoor mall, it is also a unique experience. There is a Hard Rock there too. "

Just an update, the Hardrock is no longer at Fashion Island. Blue Coral is one of the restaurants that have taken it's spot, and it's very good. I highly recommend it!
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM

Glad you enjoyed your time in Laguna Beach, where did you end up eating? Las Brisas and Splashes are on our itinerary for our trip next month! ***kim***