LaGuardia to Hudson River Valley

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LaGuardia to Hudson River Valley

We are flying into LaGuardia this weekend and have rented a car to drive to Rhinebeck NY for the weekend. What is the best route to get there from LaGuardia?(we are from the midwest and have never driven in the NYC area) We are looking for a scenic route and things to do along the way.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:01 PM
J62

1. From LaGuardia, take GRAND CENTRAL PKY EAST toward EASTERN LONG IS - go 1.5 mi
(exit comes up pretty quickly)

2. Take exit #9E onto I-678 NORTH toward WHITESTONE BR

3. Over the WHITESTONE BR ($4.50 TOLL), follow signs for HUTCHINSON RIVER PARKWAY North (left lanes). You won't exit, but you will stay to the left

Here you have two choices - scenic, Taconic State Parkway or I684 to I84 to TSP. I like the former, unless it's after dark or raining.

4. For the 1st option, take EXIT 13 off the HUTCH, CROSS COUNTY EXPY WEST toward YONKERS/SAW MILL PKWY - go 1.7 mi

5. TAKE EXIT 6, BRONX RIVER PARKWAY NORTH oward SPRAIN PKWY - bear right through the exit, else you'll go South.

6. BRONX RIVER PKWY turns into SPRAIN which turns into TACONIC STATE PARKWAY - no turns, just the name of the road changes.

7. Follow the TACONIC about 20-25mi NORTH of the I-84 EXITS to RT 199 toward RED HOOK - go 3.9 mi

8. Continue on RT-308 - go 6.2 mi to Rhinebeck

It should take about 1hr 45min +/- from LGA to Rhinebeck.

We still have some beautiful fall colors in the Hudson Valley, especially the more southern stretch.

The only part of the drive that can be a little confusing is the first part, getting to the Whitestone Bridge, so pay attention to signs.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:35 PM

And go easy on those curves on the Taconic !
That was the part of the drive when the Yankee went too fast and I always closed my eyes

Have a wonderful time salgal, I am homesick for a NY fall right now ..
Do some apple picking , go to Griegg Farms in Red Hook the next town past Rhinebeck..get some fresh apple cider doughnuts, apple pies, honey..
Enjoy!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 08:50 AM

sigh..wonderful Rhinebeck.SAvor the treats at Bread Alone.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:49 PM

An alternate route is to go north from La Guardia over the Triboro bridge and then take the Major Deegan to the Cross-County Expressway, west to the Saw Mill River Parkway which you take north to the well marked connection to the Taconic Parkway.