Lady's handbag - safety?

Search

Lady's handbag - safety?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2010, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lady's handbag - safety?

Maybe an odd question. During my visit to the US, I will visit a Broadway show (NYC), visit certain museums (DC), go to mass (NYC and DC) ect. I would like to dress appropriately and take a lady's handbag with me, like I would do at home. I am also not eager to look like the typical tourist. However I wondered, if a nice handbag might attract potential thieves even more? What would you suggest I take with me to the places mentioned? The Broadway show will be in the evening, the other things won't, but still.

Thanks for comments and for helping me making my trip as comfortable as possible. Your answers have been very helpful so far.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 07:51 AM

NYC is such a fashion forward city, you'd definitely not attract attention by bringing a fashionable/dressy/nice handbag. If anything, a more touristy looking bag would attract attention. For example, I have an over the shoulder Baggalini I use in certain situations, but would never bring it to NYC.

Just be sure the handbag zips and you can keep it close to you. Ie, Don't hang it on the back of a chair or leave it on a bathroom counter while you grab a towel, etc. Remain aware of it and you will be ok.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM

Since I am male I cannot pretend to be expert on carrying a hand bag. But I can tell you what I see in this town: Just about every lady carrying one of those huge bags that they sort of sling over their shoulder - I can't imagine what they could carry in it - but everybody has one. In fact - it might not be safe not to carry one - since you might stand out as some sort of eccentric. One word of caution, however: if you obtain a metro card for the bus or subway - put it in the bag where you can instantly get your hands on it. I see too many women with these huge bags - boarding a bus and spend the entire ride digging in the bag - can't find the metro card amidst all that stuff.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM

Women walk all over YC every day with all types of handbags - including designer ones worth thousands of dollars. It's perfectly safe as long as you exercise basic caution.

1) Never put the bag down anywhere
2) In a theater or restaurant keep the bag in your lap - never put it on the floor or on an empty chair - or worst hang it on the back of your chair - that's asking for it to be stolen
3) When in a store making a purchase put the bag down on the counter next to you and keep one hand on it
4) If it is a shoulder bag do not hang it behind your back - make sure it's in front of you where you can see it at all times

If this sounds complicated - it's not - it;s just basic care of your belongings - and you should do this everywhere - including the local mall or the grocery store
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM

There are many things that identify a tourist in any town besides clothes, including general comportment. If someone is a foreigner or an American visiting a foreign county, the hair style, eyegalsses, belts, shoes, watches, can all be indictative of a tourist.
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 08:44 PM
ita

what is the problem with looking like a tourist if you are one? You need to be dressed comfortably to be able to sightsee. Where would New York City be without tourists?
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 10:54 PM

If you will be traveling with a jacket or a sweater, I wear a purse with a long strap across my chest UNDER the jacket...with the pouch in front. This makes it very easy for me to access and hard for the thieves to get at.
I also look for clothing with pockets to keep things like Metro cards handy.
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all your advice. Many of your suggestions will be very helpful to me, especially the systematic list by nytraveler. I decided to leave my designer handbag at home and take an other, simpler one with me. That way I will still feel comfortable and chick at the same time.

And maybe a word about being a tourist. We all are tourists in foreign countries, that's a fact and nothing is wrong with that. However, I don't appreciate, if tourists present themselves either as clowns or wild creatures in every aspect of their appearance. But then again, we all see things differently .

Let me therefore end this thread and wish me good luck on my trip through your states.

Labilana