La Jolla Restaurant Recommendations Needed

Old Nov 1st, 2018, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Jolla Restaurant Recommendations Needed

Hi! My husband and I are spending 2 nights in La Jolla mid -November and I’d love some restaurant recommendations! We are staying at La Valencia and have one reservation at George’s at the Cove’s California Modern restaurant. I was looking at their outside dining but I’m afraid the weather may be too chilly. My first question is about George’s - do you think we will regret not sitting outside? I’m also looking for something for our first night in town that isn’t too formal but not too casual either. Somewhere that has fabulous food and a good vibe/energy. Lastly, for a casual lunch spot is there a Mexican or Tex/Mex place we should try? And, is The Cottage worth it for breakfast or lunch? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 07:10 AM

George's is pretty popular. When my husband and were there in July, we enjoyed sitting on the terrace, but thought the food was only okay. It's been a couple of years since we've been to The Cottage but remember it being good for breakfast. I also liked Cody's, which is across the street from The Valencia, for breakfast on their patio.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 10:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
The view from George's terrace is fantastic and the food is good. I imagine they have heat lamps, but you might call and ask them.
Old Nov 4th, 2018, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! Any additional dinner restaurants you would recommend?
Old Nov 4th, 2018, 08:14 PM

If you are going to George's for the view, you might consider lunch. It gets dark early and will be pitch black by dinner and you won't see anything.

Breakfast and Lunch:
The Cottage
Sugar and Scribe
Harry's Coffee Shop
Carolines at Scripps Institute campus in La Jolla Shores (sits on the ocean)

Coffee:
Pannikin
Parraket

Dinner:
Bistro du Marche (French)
Piatti's ( in La Jolla Shores)
Isola (Italian)
El Pescador (seafood)
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 04:46 AM

Most of these restaurants are very popular check to see if you can make a reservation. Many don't take them so I would plan to get there either early before the crowds or later after the popular lunch or breakfast times.
The exceptions are Pannikin, Parakeet which are coffee houses and El Pescador which is wait in line to order then sit at a table (but it is also packed).
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 04:53 AM

>I’m also looking for something for our first night in town that isn’t too formal but not too casual either. Somewhere that has fabulous food and a good vibe/energy.>

My choice would be Piatti's in La Jolla Shores. It is about a 5-8 minute drive from the La Jolla Village. It has a lot of old La Jolla/Calif cottage charm (with the original Spanish tile floors) a large tree in the patio that acts as a sun shade. It is white linen's on the table but dress is whatever is comfortable. After you eat, you can walk the 3 or 4 blocks directly the the beach. It is a cute, quaint little neighborhood. A lot of locals go there so it has a good vibe/energy.

Piatti La Jolla Italian Restaurant & Bar - Italian cuisine and friendly service in La Jolla

Check out the gallery photos.

Last edited by nanabee; Nov 5th, 2018 at 04:55 AM.
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of these suggestions! This is so helpful and I’ll look into all of them. We thought we’d head to George’s before sunset to have a drink outside and then head inside for dinner because it will be dark (and potentially a little chilly). Someone my husband works with suggested Eddie Vs - do you know anything about that restaurant? Thanks again!
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 06:18 AM

Yes we are there a few years ago. It was ok. It is on Prospect as I recall which is a good location for tourists as you can stroll along the street in the evening. I recommend Bobboi for locally sourced and organic ice cream. If you are interested in more local hangouts El Pescador is good along with Pannikin, and Harry's. All are casual. Flip flops required !!
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 02:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had a wonderful brunch at Brockton Villa.
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 11:03 AM

I second Nanabee's recommendation for Piatti, it's just around the cove in LaJolla Shores, it's been there for years, and just as good as ever. I would not recommend Eddie V, it's a chain up and down the coast. Georges would have heat lamps outside if you wish to dine there. Yes, I love the Cottage for breakfast or lunch, it's an old real California bungalow.
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 11:54 AM

I have no idea - it may be great - but if being a chain is a no-no, then don't go to Piatti, which is also a chain
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 01:46 PM

I think the OP might be back from their 2 day mid-November trip by now.

I've never seen an Eddie V restaurant in my 71 years of living near or on the Calif coast - but there are several Piattis up near where we live in the SF Bay Area. Is the GRB still down there??? I often had lunch there when I worked in Carlsbad for 4 1/2 years

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 08:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We actually just ate at Eddie V's in San Diego, by the marina. It was very expensive, and very good. Have never been to another one. Did not know it's a "chain".