LA Accomodation, transport & sightseeing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son will be in LA for 2 nights towards the end of May - he will not be driving so needs a hotel which offers a 24 hour airport shuttle (4am start when he leaves!) - I am told that some hotels offer sightseeing tours as well. I guess the other alternative is an airport hotel and he uses bus/shuttle transfers in and out of the city?

He wants to see something of the nightlife maybe on his first night, check out the major sights next day - he's not into cultural attractions - more iconic film scenes!

I'm looking for low to average budget but "safe"! If he uses an airport hotel such as Holiday Inn Express is it feasible for him to get the airport shuttle and then catch some form of public transport into the city or to catch tours?

What is the average cost of a taxi from the airport to say Downtown LA and Airport to Santa Monica?

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on what he wants to see and do exactly, Los Angeles is pretty vast.

Westwood near UCLA might be a good choice as there is a $5 express coach from LAX airport to the area. Has a real neighborhood feel as it full of college students, though it will quiet down there by late May. Great bus transpo everywhere since the college is right there as well as the medical center. It borders beverly hills and Bel Air.

Hilgard House in that neighborhood posts up special rates about 45 days in advance. ClaremontHotel.net is more of a basic budget flophouse in the area but clean and safe with private rooms. No TV except in the lobby.

Downtown LA also has the express Flyaway Coach from the airport. $7.00, but is more of a business district.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM

The Westwood Flyaway bus, unfortunately, doesn't operate after about 10pm.

The downtown/Union Station Flyaway does go 24/7. There are a few hotels in Little Tokyo that are reasonably priced, such as the Miyako. Quite a lot of filming is done downtown, btw, the City Hall is used often and is open during weekday working hours. He could also take the Red Line from Downtown to Hollywood. He'll want to leave luggage at his hotel and return there before heading to the airport. I might just take a taxi to Union Station that late at night, it won't be too expensive from downtown.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 07:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A taxi between LAX and downtown L.A. is a flat rate of $42 and between LAX and the Santa Monica Pier is about $30.

You can use this interactive website to calculate other fares in L.A.

http://la.taxiwiz.com/
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 08:33 AM
lvk

Most tour companies pick up at LAX and Santa Monica area hotels:
www.viptoursandcharters.com
http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/des.../losangeles.go
www.starlinetours.com/

If he stays at an LAX-area hotel, it is probably a $20 cab ride to the Hermosa Beach pier area, where there is active nightlife for the under-30 crowd.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - think we will try Sea Shore Motel, Santa Monica, a few minutes walk from hop-on hop-off tour bus pick up (and beach). and prebook an airport shuttle $18. Will let you know how it goes!
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If he's interested in seeing any of the old movie places, like where Laurel & Hardy had the piano roll down the steps, let me know.

Also, new and recent movies that take place in L.A. are 17 Again (which was filmed, in large part, at Santa Monica High, aka "Samo" High); and Valentine's Day, which pretty much covers L.A., with filming taking place at University ("Uni") High in WLA.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 10:04 AM

I have taken visitors on this tour, it was really fun
and "informative":

http://www.dearlydepartedtours.com/DDT/index.html