Los Angeles

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Jason & Monica

Los Angeles

Will be in LA for 3 days over the weekend(first visit) and need to know some must sees/dos... how should I get the most out of LA in only 3 days? Also, trying to decide between the Hilton LAX and Embassy Suites in El Segundo? Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 07:35 PM
xxx

Do NOT stay by LAX! Book a room in Santa Monica, Pasadena or even downtown LA (can be a good central spot, especially if you want to take advantage of public transportation - the new Standard Hotel is nice). Hollywood or Beverly Hills are good options as well.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 07:55 PM
janis

I would not stay at LAX or in El Segundo. Not bad areas but not near anything. I only stay near LAX when I have a one-day layover or short business trip.

Downtown, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica all have places in the same price ranges and a lot more convenient to sights.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Leslie

There are no must sees. It's all a matter of your interests. For me, the only must see is the Getty Center, but for others, art museums with beautiful architecture and scenic views are not of interest. Give us some more to go on.

Agree you shouldn't stay in vicinity of the airport. Hope you are planning to rent a car.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 08:16 PM
hector

Got the LAX Hilton for $53 via hotwire.com a few weeks back. Plus $12 for parking. The great weekend rates are the only reason to stay near the airport.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Jason & Monica

Thanks all for the responses!!! I will actually be there for a week on business, but my wife is coming out for the weekend. Since it's on my company, I'm limited on my choices for accommodations. My choices are: Crown Plaza, Radisson, Hilton, Four Points Sheraton (all near the airport); or Doubletree Club, Embassy Suites, and Summerfield Suites (all in the El Segundo area). Also, I will have a rental car, so transportation won't be a real issue. Thanks again for any/all feedback.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:10 PM
sightseer

1. The Getty Center
2. Farmer's Market (new splashy outdoor mall - The Grove - is next door)
3. Get tickets to the Hollywood Bowl for an evening activity
4. Venice is a good place for an "eye opening" breakfast location

Any special interests? Museums? Beaches? Hiking?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Mina

Stay in El Segundo, given your choices...it's closer to the South Bay(Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo) which have nice restaurants and pretty beaches (Manhattan and Hermosa have the softer sand).

I don't know where the first two hotels are...but the Summerfield Suites is in an area with lots of restaurants. Fleming's steakhouse and wine bar are right next door. While it is a "chain" the steak is excellent...if you eat meat that is! I believe the summerfield suites is on Rosecrans blvd...it's on the El Seg. side of the side...Manhattan Beach is the other side. The Manhattan mall is right up the street if your wife wants to do some shopping. This is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better place to stay than the airport.

If you give me the street names of the other two El Segundo hotels, I can figure out the neighborhoods for you...but the Summerfield seems the best location so far.

I grew up in Manhattan Beach, by the way...let me know if you'd like suggestions on what to do there. Wonderful beach community which is a lot less touristy than somewhere like Santa Monica.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Mina

P.S. The Manhattan Mall is really tiny...so the shopping isn't great. But there is a nice Macy's there.