L.A./Hollywood Help

Jun 29th, 2006, 12:05 PM
bc
Original Poster

L.A./Hollywood Help

I have tried doing some research on this issue, but am just really confused as to where to start. Thinking about a 5 (or so) day trip to the Calif. this October. My 75 year old mother for some reason has decided she wants to take a trip. She doesn't know really where she wants to go....she just wants to go. We have never been to California. I think she might enjoy the Hollywood movies stars homes, Forest Lawn, type of thing. She is not really into "scenery." She also is not able to do large amounts of walkingt. I just really have no clue as to where to stay. We are definitely limited as to budget....we would need to stay at no more than $150.00 a night per room. I will be willing to do research on hotels (unless you guys have any great ideas) but I don't know where I should be looking. We will rent a car, of course. Would like some help on areas, hotels/motels, attractions. Anything you can suggest would be welcome. I know 5 days is not a lot of time, but she is always anxious to get back home.
Jun 29th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Westwood might be nice, the Hilgard House falls within your budget and you could easily do driving tours through Beverly Hills, see a TV taping down at Sony etc.........but what do you mean by can't walk much? Can she walk, say, three or four long blocks to restaurants? Or will you be dropping her at the door/ driving/ parking everywhere etc? Westwood is more of a walking neighborhood.
Jun 30th, 2006, 04:36 AM
bc
Original Poster

Thanks, tracy2cents. By "limited amounts of walking" I mean that after a few blocks her legs ache and we are looking for a bench or something. We have taken her to New York (many times), London, Europe. It is not as if she has not been anywhere. But, it is a constant search for somewhere for her to rest before we start up again. Unfortunately, sitting around the beach or something bores her. So, we have to try to find things to entertain her, but try not to involve lots and lots of walking. She probably would have a difficult time with 3 or 4 long blocks--she might be able to do 2. Since I have never been to California I just don't have a good "picture" in my mind as to how this will best be done. I would like to find a hotel/motel that has perhaps a nice view that we could "rest up" in the afternoon or something, and that would be convenient to drive to restaurants and sights. I know she would find "movie star" stuff fascinating. Obviously, because of her age, the "Old Hollywood" stuff would interest her. I also thought about a drive to the Hearst Castle. Is this doable from the Hollywood area? Help, anyone?
Jun 30th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Tess

I would check out the Magic Castle Hotel in Hollywood (tripadvisor.com has reviews that might be helpful). I've never stayed there but hear they take customer service to the max and it's fairly inexpensive. You're close to Hollywood Blvd. and some of the old Hollywood places that your mom would enjoy. Catch a Starline tour from Graumann's Chinese Theater--you'll see stars' homes and hear some fun industry gossip.

If you have a car, one day you could drive to Santa Monica then go up the coast a ways through Malibu. There are some great little seafood shacks along the way (Malibu Seafood is our favorite) and it's a pretty drive.

My mom has trouble walking distances, too, so I understand where you're coming from. Honestly, I think you could have a great trip in Hollywood/LA without doing tons of walking.

Jun 30th, 2006, 06:43 AM

I just went there in March. I would recommend for her a "short" walk down the Hollywood Walk of Fame. This is the street that has the stars on the sidewalk with the famous names in them. We noticed that most of the stars were from the "old Hollywood"..Stop in front of the Chinese theater and see the hand prints. You can also see the "Hollywood" sign from this area. There are little shops and it is generally a tourist area but it may interest her. Overall I found the area a big disappointment. Lots of traffic and not much to see. Try a stroll down Rodeo Drive that was cleaner than most areas. We enjoyed driving through Beverly Hills... get a map and see a few stars homes...she may also enjoy a tour I believe there is one that is about Hollywood of the past...
Jun 30th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Look into the Hollywood Celebrity Hotel. We stayed there last summer. It's a little art deco place right behind (within walking distance) the Kodak theatre. Grauman's and Walk of Fame are all right there. Parking is said to have been an issue on some of the reviews I read on tripadvisor but we didnt have any problems during our stay.
Jun 30th, 2006, 07:55 AM

There aren't large parts of the greater LA area where one just strolls around for blocks on end. Well, except if you're trying to see every star on the Walk of Fame (there are 2,314 stars on the Walk-- Wink Martindale got number 2,313 on June 2nd):

http://www.hollywoodchamber.net/icon...ceremonies.asp

The "center" of what people think of when they think of "Hollywood" is now concentrated around the Hollywood/Highland complex; Grauman's Chinese and the refurbished Hollywood Roosevelt are nearby and worth a spin.

The fact you mention Forest Lawn means you want to focus on the Golden Era of "Hollywoodland"-- i.e., Dead Hollywood. Other cemeteries where you get a big "hit ratio" of dead celebrities include Hollywood Forever and Westwood Village Memorial Park. If you both have really morbid senses of humor (mud is gleefully flung!), you could go on the Dearly Departed Tour of places where the Rich and Famous bit it:

www.dearlydepartedtours.com

Driving around Beverly Hills and Brentwood and Hancock Park to see the old stars' homes is becoming a bittersweet activity. Many of the "stars' homes" have been torn down (Jimmy Stewart's, Jayne Mansfield's, Rosemary Clooney's) or badly renovated (Lucille Ball's). Many architecturally-notable homes have been lost. Last time I checked, Hedy Lamarr's old place was still standing (Diane Keaton had just bought it from Madonna, but she's flipped it subsequently). It's probably gone now. Another thing: The most incredible estates are usually heavily-fortified so you can't see in (David Geffen's, the late Aaron Spelling's).

You might enjoy touring Greystone Park, taking a spin up PCH to the Getty Villa, or even taking in the beautiful Getty Center. The Huntington Library up in San Marino has gorgeous gardens, and then you can slip over to Pasadena and take tea at the Ritz-Carlton.

How about a day of luxury? Day spa, a Ladies Who Lunch shopping excursion on Rodeo in Beverly Hills (or, for something a little Orange County, at Fashion Island in tony Newport Beach).... So many possibilities.
Jun 30th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Hearst is a long but beautiful drive up the coast, you'd probably want to stay overnight. And she'd have to be agreeable to taking the tour in a wheelchair probably.

Top Ten Los Angeles is a nifty little guidebook with decent maps and tons of ideas for what there is to do in the area.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/075...lance&n=283155
Jun 30th, 2006, 10:55 AM
bc
Original Poster

Thanks, guys, for the help. This will give me a place to start!
Jun 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM

rjw-You always have such great ideas!!