Search

L.A. for New Year's

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L.A. for New Year's

Hello everybody!

Heading to LA over New Year's. I'm trying to secure some reservations for dinner New Year's Eve. My boyfriend had wanted to dine at Le Dome but I can't seem to figure out if it is still open. It appears it closed and then re-opened some time ago but I can't find any other info on it.

Any other suggestions for a nice meal-- budget $150-$300 for the two of us? Something with a french twist would be especially pleasing.

Any other good spots for lunch and dinner (cheaper) for the rest of the time there? Wine bar/tapas places especially.

Also, I love museums; he likes them in small quantities. What should we not miss? The Getty Center?

Finally, we are currently reserved at the Standard Hotel. Has anyone stayed here?

We definitely want to experience a little "old Hollywood lore" with a drink at the Chateau Marmont. Is there another bar/lounge that you'd recommend that we sip a few scotch on the rocks?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have...

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:33 AM

If you are the kind that likes to stay at the Standard Hotel (downtown or Hollywood?) you will liekly LOVE the best NYE my husband and I ever had. It was at Giant Vilalge (not called Giant Club, apparently) in Downtown LA. It's a huge party in the streets of downtown. I don't like that techno-DJ type of music but it was still great. We saw The Killers live (this was in 2005) and there were several other great live acts. 2006 was supposed to have the Black Eyed Peas but it unfortunately got rained out. The tix back then were about $75 and well worth it. I don't know the details for this year but here's the website:

http://www.giantclub.com/

Also, if you are staying at the Standard in Downtown LA, there is tons of cool stuff going on in Downtown LA for the hip and young at heart.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:45 AM

OH, and the most "Old Hollywood" restaurant (but not so much "bar") that I know of is definitely Musso & Franks. The waiters have all worked there since like 1932.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations poodle; I'm not sure the dance club would be our thing but something in a more rock/concert/jazz club would be.

If anyone happens to be bicoastal out there and have an idea of L.A.'s equivalent to NYC's Webster Hall, Beacon Theater, Bowery Ballroom, or the Mercury Lounge that would be much appreciated!

I think we'll like the Standard; hopefully not too too hip. But looks good. Relatively affordable too.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 12:32 PM

OH, and another great Downtown LA location that is very 1940s Hollywood glam is Broadway Bar on Broadway (near Olympic). Just check the website and you get the idea:
http://www.broadwaybar.la/

They don't have food there and I can't think of good food within easy walking distance (it's a bit desolate around there at night) but there is the added bonus that the place has 2 sister locations right in downtown. One is a whiskey bar (7 Grand) and the other a sort of fancy dive bar (Golden Gopher). Here's the website for all 3 places (which are all on the "hottest bar" lists for LA this year, it seems)
http://213downtown.la/

If you want music, there is often music at the very cool Bordello bar in the Arts District adjacent to downtown- check the calendar section here:
http://www.bordellobar.com/