Los Angeles hotels near LA Marathon

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Los Angeles hotels near LA Marathon

Hi Now that we have our travel set (thanks everyone), need to find a hotel near the race start. The marathon is only offering one hotel w/discount, and of course that's sold out. Being unfamiliar w/the area, we have no ideas. Anyone know what the area near The Wilshire Grand is called? Or any suggestions for reasonable hotels in that area, or ones to avoid? Thanks so much! We're planning this very late, as marathons go, but just decided we needed to get out of this cold Midwest ASAP.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 05:55 PM
lvk

Hi runnerjeff,

The Marathon starts (and ends) in downtown LA. Your best option would probably to bid on Priceline for a 4* hotel in the downtown area. Check www.biddingfortravel.com to see which hotels are coming up on PL and how much to bid.

Good luck!
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:56 PM

The Wilshire Grand is right there at the start, called downtown LA So is the Westin Bonaventure hotel (one of my favorites to have drinks at, up at the top- it revolves for a beautiful 360 view of downtown LA! The race starts at 5th and Figueroa Streets downtown (I work at that intersection at KUSC radio- you'll see the sign outside our building. We're all classical.).

There's The Standard, a really funky cool hotel, don't know if that's your thing or not. Upscale and pricey, but really cool.

There's also the Millenium Biltmore hotel a couple blocks away.

Do note, however, it's not a great area to running, pre-or-post- race. If you want to stick around LA before or after the race, I'd recommend moving to a hotel in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, etc.

Best wishes to you!! I'll be at 6th and Highland Avenue (mile 19 or 20) to cheer you on!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:52 AM

As Lynnie suggested, the Standard is nice as well as the Bonaventure. I think the Biltmore is the "grandest" of all the hotels in Downtown. The Omni is also very nice. Depending on your budget, you have TONS of choices in Downtown.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Others I can think of are the Marriott at 3rd & Figueroa, accross the street from the Bonaventure. The Hotel Figueroa at 9th and Figueroa is a decent budget choice. The Omni is probably the best general location downtown, at Grand & 3rd.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:05 PM

There's also the Renaissance Hollywood, Hollywood Roosevelt and Comfort Suites in hollywood, or the hotels up by Universal in North Hollywood (Sheraton, Hilton)........all are a quick metro subway ride away from downtown.