Kingsmill Resort vs Glade Springs Village

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kingsmill Resort vs Glade Springs Village

I have 3d/2n reserved at Kingsmill Resort for $460; and I just received an offer to stay at Glade Springs Village in West Virginia for free with a timeshare tour which I don't mind. I have a lot of info on Kingsmill but is it worth staying at Glade Springs for relaxation and spa services?

Thanks!!
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Is there anyone familiar with these resorts?

Thanks,
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 05:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never stayed at Glade Springs Village but have received their offers in the mail. I can answer any questions you have about Kingsmill. You would probably get two different experiences at the two resorts. I am guessing that Glade Springs is in the mountains. If this is true and you are planning your trip for the summer, Glade Springs would be cooler. If you just want spa services and relaxation then it might be a good option to Kingsmill but you would have to sit through the sales appointment. Kingsmill is a lovely resort in a area with a lot to do. Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown are all nearby. Plus all the amenities at Kingsmill. Their spa is very nice.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Birdie for the information. I am 6 months pregnant and will be 7 by the time we go. The only thing we will be doing will be relaxing with the spa services and meals. Kingsmill is a very nice resort but do we go with nice an expensive or nice and free? Can't decide.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 05:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I've interpreted things correctly, that means you'll be travelling in August? I'm very familiar with Kingsmill but not at all so with Glade Springs. However, the heat/humidity in August can be pretty brutal in Wmbg. I'd be inclined to go to with Glade Springs. It has to be cooler in the WVa mountains!
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we will be travelling in Aug. I'm starting to lean towards Kingsmill because Glade Springs is an additional 2 hours away and travelling may be more uncomfortable for me by then. We'll see.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd forgotten how difficult long car rides can be in the 3rd trimester. Kingsmill is a lovely place and if that's your ultimate choice, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Just keep yourself hydrated on the really hot & humid days!
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks obxgirl and since this is our last vacation together, I'd prefer to go someplace that I have more information on and not going sight unseen.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:14 PM

You may luck out and come to Williamsburg during one of our cool Aug. weeks. They do occur. I have planned to take the kids to Water Country the last week before school starts and it has been too cool. You never know. But to help you out; a list of things to do in Williamsburg when you are too pregnant to move much:
Bring a book down to the Marina in Kingsmill and sit in a chaise on the beach.
Drive the loop in the Jamestown Island National Park and then continue down the Parkway to Yorktown.
Shop for baby clothes at Carousel in Merchant's Square in CW and then go to the Carter's outlet.
Walk Duke of Gloucester St. in CW in the evening.
Walk through W&M and start thinking about the future. Those 18 years go by very quickly.
Bring your maternity suit. The pools at Kingsmill are very nice.
I am sure others can add more.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Birdie for that useful information. I do intend to get in the water to cool off but I don't plan to do much walking. I'm really looking forward to it, we'll be there the 2nd week in Aug.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 04:24 AM

I just want to say that we stayed at the Kingsmill Resort for a week a couple of years ago and LOVED it. It is a beautiful resort and I can highly recommend.

We were there in July and it was brutally hot and VERY humid. It was difficult to be outdoors, so we couldn't take advantage of everything Kingsmill had to offer, other than going in the pool.

Have fun!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Stayed a Glade Springs a couple of years ago while Whitewater rafting.

I was not impressed. Room smelled terribly of smoke. Big parties going on a neighboring rooms kept us up all night (staff wouldn't do anything about it), food was just OK (arrived quite cold).
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 05:46 AM

We're headed to Kingsmill in a few days. We'll be there for a week. Loved it so much last year that we're headed back and bringing friends and family with us.

Birdie - last year the Marina wasn't open. From what you've been posting, it sounds like there is a restaurant with good frozen drinks and a beach too? Have I got this right?

Also do you know how far it is from Kingsmill to the Barnes and Noble in Newport News. We have to go at midnight on the 15/16th to pick up our Harry Potter cds for the ride home!
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Bennnie, be sure to let us know how your trip was. I'm looking forward to it.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Barnes and Noble in NN is 15 min away. If you go right out of the Rt. 60 Kingsmill exit and pass Busch Gardens you will come to the I64 exit. Take it east to Jefferson Ave E. B&N will be on the left just after the Patrick Henry Mall. But before you go, call the W&M Bookstore. It is a Barnes & Noble but is often not listed as such. Or call Books A Million on Richmond Rd. near Staples. They often have Harry Potter events and may be open late.
The marina, restaurant, and beach are all open. The restaurant is fine if you sit at the bar to drink. They have been slow to work out their opening kinks, though, and service is very slow at the tables.
Have a great week, Bennie. The weather looks good so far. Just a little warm. We'll be in DC for a Jr. golf tourn for most of the week.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Just back from our trip. Birdie -thanks for your info regarding the marina and Harry Potter. We didn't go to either the bookstore or the marina despite our best laid plans.

The weather was hot hot hot but we didn't mind as we were always in a pool, or on a water ride at either Busch Gardens or Water Country. Golf was definately a challenge. As a family we got out onto the par 3 course twice. DH got onto the Plantation Course and the Woods Course. He loved the Woods Course.

The girls enjoyed an evening at "spa camp", getting a facial, mini manicure and pedicure. I still haven't taken advantage of the spa despite my plans to do so. Why is there never enough time?

India - the resort is lovely as always and the service was very good. There are lots of kids there especially at the Sports Club where the pool, spa and game room are. But I think it will still be a relaxing stay for you. All the kids that I saw were playing nicely and not making a ruckas.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 02:53 PM

Bennie:
I am sorry it was so hot. It wasn't much better in DC last week or the Eastern shore this week. I don't know how my son survives this heat carrying a golf bag for 18.
I'm glad your husband enjoyed the Woods. I think it is very pretty. My son thinks its a challenge!
Maybe you'll get a nice, cool week the next time you come.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Birdie - the more we visit, the more we like the area. My dh and I don't plan on buying a vacation/retirement home but if we ever did I know Kingsmill would be the first place we looked.

For some reason the heat didn't really bother us - guess its easier to tolerate the heat when you're on vacation.