Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens?

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens?

This family of four is planning a trip to DC in the summer. The kids love amusement parks. They are 8 and 11. We went to Busch Gardens when they were toddlers so we know what to expect there and I'm sure we'd love it again. But it seems like Kings Dominion is closer to DC and could be done as a day trip whereas Busch Gardens would require an overnight stay. BG is also further south from home and will make for a longer drive at the end of the vacation. So I'm looking for opinions on Kings Dominion - is it a nice, clean park? Are there rides suitable for that age group - semi-wild but not scary crazy? Is it much closer to DC than Busch Gardens? Looking at a map I'm guessing that its about an hour closer to DC than BG.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 07:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unless you were going to be visiting Williamsburg, I don't know why you'd spend the extra time to drive to BG. For 8 and 11 year old kids I think the difference between the two parks in indiscernible. They'll find age appropriate rides in both places.

I think KD has a broader range of things for smaller children to do. BG is a "prettier" park, more nicely landscaped.

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Doh

It's been a while since I've been to either, but I think KD is about 2 hours (or maybe a little more) closer to DC. I also don't think it would be worth it to drive 3+ hours just for BG.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Isn't there a 6 Flags even closer to DC? Would that be a better option?
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 08:45 AM

I would prefer Kings Dominion over Bush Gardens. Kings Dominion is approx 85 miles South of Washington, DC, whereas Busch Gardens is approx 150-160 miles away -- you would need to stay overnight to do it justice. Either one, you would have to battle I-95 north & south.

Six Flags would probably be your best bet. It is only aboud 15-30 minutes from DC. Here's a link.

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/americ...sp?id=parkinfo
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick responses. I wasn't aware that there was another park closer to DC. I'll definately consider that. Is it a nice park? My one and only experience with a Six Flags park was in Atlanta about 10 years ago. I thought it was considerably less appealing than Busch Gardens and have been reluctant to try another since then. On the other hand I have been to one other Paramount theme park and thought it was well run, clean and had a good variety of rides. We don't go to amusement parks often (maybe every other summer) so I would like to have a positive experience. So, is Six Flags America as good as Kings Dominion?
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Doh

Haven't been to six flags (but why should that stop me from posting?). I think it is a much smaller park, but it may work for your age group.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 12:14 PM

I was to both BG & KD this past summer. I really enjoyed both parks, for the rides & ambience. My boys are 16 & 12 & really like the roller coaster type rides. But at KD, there was a Sponge Bob 3D movie that we all really enjoyed, & there is a Nickelodeon kids area, & they have a smaller roller coaster for younger kids. I was to Six Flags America 3 years ago. We all enjoyed the rides there. It actually was a nice park. If distance is the factor, Six Flags would be fine, but if distance & ambience are combined I would do KD, especially if you are into Sponge Bob & nickelodeon. They also have a scale model of the Eiffel Tower which you can go to the top in. They have a ride called the Volcano which is buil in & around a manmade volcano, which actually shots off fire at the top.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 01:42 PM

You may decide to let weather be a factor. June can be pleasant, HOT and humid, rainy, or cold. BG is less than 1 hr from KD if you use I295 to skirt Richmond. KD has some great rides and entertainment, but if the weather is bad, BG has a number of shows and activities inside to escape the heat/rain - much more than KD. I prefer BG, and my only experience w/ 6 Flags was in Atlanta in April - 90+ degrees, HOT, HOT, HOT, heat radiating up off the black pavement, the employees didn't know where First Aide was located, and a lot of the rides required an additional fee, plus long lines. It was terrible, and our whole group said "Never again" to 6 Flags! Good luck.
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the suggestions. It really has been helpful. I've taken away from this that 1. Kings Dominion would be a good choice if we are willing to drive. 2. Six Flags is an okay choice if we are not willing to drive. 3. Busch Gardens should be a separate trip combined with Williamsburg for at least one if not two nights.

I've ton more questions and the rest of the winter to plan. Thanks again.