Try to visit DC or Shenandoah?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to Charlottesville & Williamsburg, VA for the end of March with our elementary school chidren. The older ones have been studying the revolutionary war & colonial times, so I think they'll enjoy the trip. I've read varying opinions on how long to stay in Williamsburg/Jamestown. I'm planning 2 days. I"m wondering after all the history of these two places (Charlottesville & Wllmsbg), if we should try to buzz up to DC for a quick two days to see some highlights (will visit another time, too, but the kids think it would be fun to see) OR considering visiting Shenandoah for some variety. I'm concerned it might be too cool to enjoy though (I'm wimpy - I like to be WARM!). Any suggestions? If we go up for a quick trip to DC - I think we'd probably like to do some type of Greyline tour. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:06 PM

Both are such great options, and I really don't think Shenandoah will be all that cold at the end of March. Your proximity to Shenandoah will be much closer than to DC, so you potentially could zip up to Shen for a 1/2 day skyline drive, and spend the next day in DC.

When I think of Charlottesville, I think of Shenandoah anyway. It would be silly to be that close and not go in.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:26 PM
tmt

Skyline drive is absolutely fabulous. We did it last May and plan on doing it again this May for a weekend. The nights got cool there, but nothing like being in the lodge with a fire going.

With all that history in Williamsburg etc. do you need some scenic time?
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 08:20 PM

Have visited both DC and Shenandoah with children. My kids will ask when we are going back to visit DC they have never asked to go back to the Shennandoah.
Hope that helps.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

We'll be traveling from the midwest, so it looks like we'll take 64 East and could go through Covington, then North, around Staunton & then over to Charlottesville. It looks like that will give us a flavor of the mountains, is that correct? Is the highway between Lexington & Staunton any part of Skyline Drive? I"m not seeing it on my atlas. Thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM

There are two highways between Lexington and Staunton, and NEITHER has anything to do with Skyline Drive. I-81 and US-11 go through the Shenandoah Valley, which (I admit this is confusing) is not in any part of Shenandoah National Park. When you drive from Staunton to Charlottesville on I-64, you'll go through a mountain pass just east of Waynesboro. At that pass is the southern tip of Skyline Drive / Shenandoah NP. If you have some extra time and the weather's clear and you feel lucky, it probably wouldn't hurt to exit I-64 to drive some miles on Skyline. You'll see some overlooks, almost certainly some deer, and perhaps other wildlife. But Shenandoah's charms are most likely experienced by those who can spend a couple days to get off Skyline Drive and hike around a bit. I'm in love with the place, but I realize not everyone is going to share my interests. I would be surprised if a majority of kids who visit don't find it boring.

Of course, if you're as lucky as I was (and that's why I mentioned "lucky"), and have six bear encounters in a day and a half, your family might become as enthralled as I am.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Ooops!! I should have included the link to this PDF file.

http://data2.itc.nps.gov/parks/shen/.../ACF91F9%2Epdf
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 11:34 AM

The hiway between Lexington and Staunton (pronounced Stanton) is I-81/I-64.

You have the choice of driving the Blue Ridge Parkway which runs parallel to the interstate to Waynesboro where you could return to I-64 east, or stay on the interstates to Waynesboro and head north on Skyline Drive. That part of the drive is nicer than the northern end. You could then return to I-64 at any point.

If you look at a Virginia map you will see a couple of exits off 81/64 that will lead you to the BRP, but it would
probably be easier to get on 81 south, go a couple of miles to exit 188 and take the BRP out of Buena Vista.

March here in the Valley is nice, and if we do get a late snow, it melts the next day. Trees will be leafing out then, but it will be too early for the Dogwoods to be in bloom.