Killington Late March

Search

Killington Late March

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killington Late March

What kind of conditions should we expect in late March? I am sure it will be icy if not slushy but will there be any morning groomed powder. Killington has their snow guarantee but how many people really call it quits even if conditions are not good? They have a very extensive snowmaking system and are open well into May if not June every year.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 05:42 PM

You probably won't find any slush in March on Killington, unless there is a spell of unseasonably warm weather. Its pretty cold there, even in March, due to the elevtion, and trails are well-groomed daily with lots of snow-making going on. This is a first class mountain, they are very good at making great ski conditions even in spring.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Have owned a condo in Killington for many yrs. The answer to your question is - you never know! It could be cold with new or newly made snow, it could be icy or it could be warm, muddy and slushy. Killington does a good job of grooming whatever is there but New England weather is unpredictable. The "open until May or June" hype usually means that they try to keep a portion of one trail open as late as possible so they can claim to be "open". They cannot make snow in warm weather.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 01:47 PM

march conditions are iffy. esp. on the lower part of the mountain near sunrise and the gondola (skyeship?) in the valley. it will all be pretty heavy to ski in. march isn't that cold... but the first week of march often can bring snow to the northeast. just don't expect ski in ski out to be available meaning, there may not be anything skiable to the condos/homes

best ski in ski out i ever used was spruce glen town houses. the trail they are on (either home run, formerly 4 mile trail or great eastern) but these are on the way to the gondola! killington's groomin has gone down hill (sorry for the pun!) significantly in the last few years. so you may not get grooming on the trails you want. after this past season, i am not sure i'll even ski there this coming winter (that will be the first time in about 15 years!)
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 09:58 AM

My boyfriend and I had our first kiss in Killington on April 2nd 3 1/2 years ago. We were there from the end of March through early April.

It was a blizzard!! It snowed every day that we were there. On our last day (April 5th) we skiied in powder up to our waist. Never in my life have I skiied in such conditions in my entire life.

We returned the last week in March the following year and things were horrible - everything was melted and mushy. Many of the trails and lifts were closed. We were easily tired and only able to ski a few hours a day....

So I guess it could go either way....