Search

Kid in New York

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 11:45 AM
singlemom

Kid in New York

I will be taking my 7-year old son on holiday to NYC in September. I really want to make it memorable for him (but the dollar to our local currency is exorbitant! so I can't check into the Plaza)and I've already trawled through Fodor's for the rubber ducky sign, so does anyone have any other experiences they could recommend?

Also, what about our safety? What general rules should I follow? I won't be able to avoid looking like a tourist although I can do maps. We won't be doing much night-time stuff but what else should I be aware of?

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 11:50 AM
thereuare

He might like Mars 2112 which is a "theme restaurant" which is set as if you're dining on the planet mars.

I believe their website is www.mars2112.com but if not, just do a search and you'll find it.

Chinatown might be cool to see ducks hanging in the windows and have signs everywhere in chinese, as well as a trip to the top of the Empire State Building.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 12:50 PM
newyorker

The Brooklyn Children's Museum is an excellent interactive experience for a child. Your son may also like the zoo in Central Park. It offers a lot to see and is better for children than the Bronx Zoo because of its compact size.

About safety - familiarize yourself with the city and the neighborhoods that you'll be visiting. Know which subway lines and stops you'll be using for the day, and don't be afraid to ask cops for directions!

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Not from NY but been there

1) Walk down 5th Ave
FAO Schwartz is a toy store that will keep him happy, and browsing and playing is free... 5th ave,as I perhaps you know, is filled with amazing shops with larger then life displays that will wow him

2) Do a google search for NYC hotels (you will get a discount listing)

3) Give him a camera and lots of film, let him take his own pictures and the two of you can create a scrap book together after the trip. . . Since he is 7, there will be no rush to develop all the film right away and you can create and relive memories with him while you create this book and for the rest of his life

4) Pizza is cheap in NY, and very good, eat it

5) Musuems are fairly inexpensive a provide a children fantasy land as long as you do not restrict his travel... let him lead the way and then you lead the way, take turns... it will be fun...

6) Get half price tickets to a Broadway play... available the day of the show at the TKTS (sp- it's been a while) booth... Ask anyone and they will tell you....

7) NYC is easy. The streets are numbered... Take a moment now and look at the map... You will see high numbers are one part of the city , low numbers are another... Rather then carrying a map... I suggest having a "hot sheet" of the places you wish to visit and the cross streets. Set your agenda before you leave your hotel each day. Then, By simply glancing at the signs and going a block you will be able to tell what direction you are headed in. Also, many people take cabs to get around ny... Simply hold out your hand at the side of the street... a taxi will stop, get in and say the address or the location you would like to go EG "380 Greenwich" or "NY Public Library Direct".... after the cab stops pay... and get out...

8) Goto this website... www.pps.org and look up public spaces in NY. This will show the best public spaces in NY and what they have to offer.

9) On 5th ave is St. Patricks Catherdral, take a quick look inside, it is amazing...

Enjoy and don't sweat it. Keep your head high. And if someone says something to you that makes you feel uncomfortable just say "No thankyou" firmly and keep walking with your head high. Only a few people came up to us in NYC, but this is how we responded and it was fine, , , they just left us alone... but then we saw some folks who engaged the people that came up to them in a conversation (DONT DO THIS) or said nothing and acted scared (DONT DO THIS) and the folks just followed them for a bit and they were fine too...

So again, just keep your head high, stay calm, and be firm...

ok, hopefully, ihave not freaked you out... it really is not the norm but could happen...

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Alan

Hi, Singlemom!
I took my 7-year-old and none-year-old daughters to New York last December, and I can confidently say you won't have any trouble keeping your son amused. The Natural History Museum was not, I think, specifically mentioned in the terrific reply from a previous poster, but it was among the favourite activities for our kids, along with the Staten Island Ferry, walking with the Big Apple Greeter, and just looking up!

I decided to respond to your post because you struck a chord with the mention of your miserable currency exchange rate. I am from Sydney, Australia, and last December our dollar was worth 50c, so I can sympathise. We thought we'd have to stay in Hoboken and commute! But then we found the Madison Hotel on 27th and Madison. It's clean, centrally-located, safe, and friendly. They gave us a room for four AND breakfast for $88 a night. It is probably more than that now, but I bet they are still among the most competitive prices in the city. You can check them out on their website (I think it's www.madison-hotel.com), but you have to ring them to book. It's worth it... have a great time!

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 07:36 PM
karen

I'm an ex NYer who just returned today from my annual family visit up there. Took my 8 yr old son & 5 yr old daughter to their first Broadway show "The Prince and the Pauper." The show was great, small theater, cast even signed autographs afterwards and the theater was right on 44th on the same block as the Toys R Us with the ferris wheel inside. Tuesday night the show starts at 7pm rather than 8 so it's over before 10! Great for little ones! Also cool to see the lights of Times Square (much nicer than when I lived there) at night.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 07:50 PM
rp

Having moved to South Florida after growning up in NYC and having both my children there, I can tell you it's a great place to live but an even better place to visit! Some places mentioned, the central park zoo, empire state bldg, Rose Planetarium in the Natural History Museum, Union Square Park on Friday and Saturdays and Wed has a great farmer's market where you can get flowers and muffins. A great kid friendly resturant is America on 18th or 19th between 5th and Broadway, Hudson River walk in Battery Park City has a great playground and is just a walk up from the Staten Island Ferry which is a great FREE ride., there is so much. As for safety, yes, know where you are going, it is easy...just remember at 5th avenue the buildings are 0. They run east and west from there. So 10 West 20th street is west of fifth avenue, and 10 East 20th Street is east of fifth avenue. The subways are a great quick way to get around. Less desireable areas include around Madison Square garden and Penn Station (seventh ave between 30's thru 50's is iffy). Also, midtown 5th Ave (40's) is better in the day than night, as it's mostly businesses. Check out Greenwich village which is west of 6th ave, the East Village is funky too. East of 3rd ave around 8th Street. Too much to say...have fun!!!

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 07:53 PM
rp

Me again. As for cheap meals...yes pizza is cheap and mostly good. Especially good is Five Roses on 11th Street and first avenue. Also, Little India has good resturants, indian food, inexpensive...6th Street and third ave. (can you tell I like the east village). Also, lots of polish resturants...christinas, and little coffee shops are cheap and good. Fifth Ave will have more expensive food, try other avenues. 6th in the 20's, 3rd at 8th street, first below 14th. Good luck.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:15 AM
bennie

My 5 and 8 yos loved Central Park buggy ride, just walking around Central Park, IMAX theater in Lincoln Sq. Dim Sum in Chinatown on Sunday morning (very cheap), ferris wheel in Time Sq. Went to lounge at the top of the Marriott Marquis for hot chocolate. Riding the subway was fun for them because a mariachi band got on board and started to play for tips. Didn't get to the Museum of Natural History or the Empire State Bldg or Ellis Island or Staten Island Ferry. Will have to go back soon.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Elfie

To add another couple of things to the great ideas already suggested: the IMAX movie theater is a great place for kids, it's on the upper west side and always has G-rated features that will delight your child. They pass out special goggles as you go in so the movie is a true 3-D experience. Also, check out the old-fashioned carousel in Central Park, it's beautiful and inexpensive.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Alan

Topping this post for Anne.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 06:03 AM
kiki

I have a seven year old boy and live right outside the city. I just had two nephews (ages 7 and 15) come for a visit. Sure winners: the Rose Planetarium at the Museum of Natural History, the Statue of Liberty, the top of the Empire State Building. The difficult part is that 7 year old boys get tired of running around (well, I guess we all do). I find they can tolerate only part of a day of sightseeing and the rest of the day has to be more relaxing - like going to Central Park and playing in one of the playgrounds. I traveled to London with my 3 kids last summer and it was the same deal- my seven year old could handle about half a day of running around, going on the tube (train), etc. but that was it. So go slowly and enjoy whatever you have time for. If you can, the Bronx Zoo (accessible by train) is a wonderful place to spend the day. As far as Broadway shows go, I took my sons and my nephews to the Lion King and they liked it but a show your son may like and easier to get tix to is "Blue Man Group" - they drum and are painted blue and do funny stuff. My kids looved it. Good luck!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Jill

Yes,I agree wtih karen!!
We took our 11 year old to the Prince & the Pauper,he loved it and then browsed through the Times Sq Tous R Us.The Ferris Wheel was fun to watch but the got the biggest kick out of the Jurassic Park animatronic dino,the Leggoland Empire State Bldg with the little gorilla on it
Take him to Serendipity and share a Frozen Hot Chocolate or a Hot Fudge Sundae.Or lunch-they make real foot long hot dogs!
any of the park playgrounds in Central Park for kids are great,state of the art,safe and fun,you can sit and relax on a bench and watch.
The Natural History Museum has a great Dinosaur exhibit,our boy has been going there since he was about 4 and loves it still.Now he can name them
Chinatown is fun for dinner,good prices too,and sometimes those grumpy waiters are nicer to kids than to us adults.
Tate a ride on a GreyLine double decker bus,he will love riding on top,you will too.
Staten Island Ferry,free,ride to and from and see the Statue of Liberty and take lots of pictures!
With a 7 year old, you most likely won't be out that late, basically the city is crammed with tourists all year,you will not stand out, you will be just another mother and child
So just follow the usual rules of safey no matter where you are.
Have a wonderful time!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Jill

Please forgive all the typos,over enthusiastic replying and no proof reading!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 07:34 AM
aMom

I think the Museum of Natural History/Rose Center ia a must for a 7 year old. If you head downtown to the Village area, check out the Forbes Gallery. It's on 5th Av between 12th & 13th sts. Its been a favorite of my kids for years. There are various collections of toy boats and soldiers, historical documents and other items (one of Abe Lincoln's top hats), and monopoly boards, among other great items. It's free and it's small and never crowded. While down there, head down 5th Av a few more blocks to Washington Square Park. There is always something happening in the park, many street musicians, jugglers, etc. Head to Grey's Papaya (6th Av and 8th st) for a hot dog or Frank's Pizza (Carmine St & 6th Av) for a slice. If your son likes baseball, go to a Mets or Yankees game, both easily (and safely) accessible by subway, you can bring your own drinks, food & snacks (packed in a plastic bag) to avoid paying ridiculous prices for bad food. If your son is really interested in theme restaurants go for it, if not, you could do much better elsewhere for food quality, service & price. CHinatown and little Italy are always good places to eat and fun to walk around. Also the area around the South St seaport could be fun, also a lively area, you can tour the tall ships, check out the museum. New York, for the most part, is pretty safe. Even in the evening, many neighborhoods are quite lively with many restaurants and stores open until late hours or all night. To wander in Little Italy, CHinatown, Greenwich village, times Sq in the eveing is all fine and safe. Those areas are always full of life. Subways/busses are convenient, safe and a very reasonable form of transportation.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 07:29 AM
singlemom

Thanks for all your suggestions - I've already added lots to my itinerary!

Actaully I must confess that I'm from South Africa so I don't know why I should be worried about potential criminals and con-artists in the Big Apple (but it's not as bad here as the press makes it out, I promise!)And our currency is way lower than 50c to the dollar - we're about 10c at the moment, cos we're linked to other emerging economies like Brazil & Argentina, although our economy is stable. (SA's a great place to visit - first world infrastructure with wonderful scenery and really low rates for everyone else) Okay, enough advertising.

Does anyone know if I can book into our hotel early (any suggestions for convincing the hoteliers that we should have an early check-in without paying for it?) We land at JFK at 7 am after a 16 hour flight, so I'd really appreciate a welcoming hotel room to freshen up and relax a bit before taking on the buzz of New York.

What I was planning for most days was to do some stuff inthe morning then do lunch in Central Park, relax a bit, then do something shorter in the afternoon.

Is it worth taking the ferry to Statue of Liberty Island, now that the interior is closed? Any ideas? (we booked Citypass tickets which seem to be even better value at the moment cos prices seem to have risen, comparing internet sites to their website, and one of the trips is a Circle Line ferry trip round Manhattan. After that, is it worth also actually going to the island?

But thanks once again for all the suggestions - Ngiyabonga Kakhulu (when you visit here I'll tell you what it means!)

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 02:30 PM
tracy

Wow, so many nice and informative postings! We took our son (11) to NY last year for Christmas and he loved it! WE have been a few times before but had not taken him. NY has really cleaned up its act and the subway was much better. People now have to audition to entertain for money and he enjoyed all the young breakdancers. We saw very few homeless people (we stay in Manhatten). Make sure he holds your hand in the crowds of people on the street as it would be easy to lose sight of him. Work out a plan if this happens. We iceskated in Central Park rather than Rockefeller but maybe thats only available at Xmas? Much nicer. He enjoyed buying stuff from street vendors. Have a great time!!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Ted

My top three attractions for young ones:

* American Museum of Natural History on Central Park West

* USS Intrepid (aircraft carrier on the Hudson River)

* Belvedere Castle in Central Park overlooking the Turtle Pond

Also the ships at South Street Seaport always impress. Central Park Zoo, Dylan's Candy, FAO Schwartz, etc.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Marj

If the hotel isn't busy they may let you check in early. I've done this on overseas trip. In any case, they will definitely hold your luggage while you do something else. Overall NYC is fairly safe (I live here with 2 kids). Walking around, even at night, is fine as long as there's people around and stores/restaurants open which is true on all 'touristy' and most residential areas. Have fun!