Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

A short Broadway-themed trip to NYC with 19 y/o daughter

Old Jan 24th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Hello Fodorites,

Once more seeking your kind help. DD and I are taking a too-short trip to NYC for her spring break in March - only 3 nights. I would like to get some theatre advice and help with the rest of our itinerary.

Here's how our schedule is shaping up:

Arrive Wed noon. Check in at Hotel.
Afternoon - open
7:30 pm How to Succeed in Business..... (Al Hirschfeld Theatre)

Thursday
10:30 am - 1:30 pm - Chelsea Market/Meatpacking District Food Tour (includes the High Line)
1:30 pm - open
7 pm - The Book of Mormon (Eugene O'Neill Theatre)

Friday
Morning - Museum?
Afternoon - Open
Evening - Another Broadway show?

Saturday
Going Home (sigh)

I've used broadwaybox.com to get tickets to "How to Succeed in Business...." and splurged beyond what I planned on spending and got tickets to "The Book of Mormon". She's 19, and the number of times we get to spend together will more likely get fewer and far between.......

I'd like to hear some suggestions for a third musical? What about Rock of Ages? She loves the songs of Journey - we took the kids to the Journey concert in Indy last summer - it was the biggest thrill for my kids

What about Spider Man? Or Lion King?

Of all the shows she's been to, she loves these the most: Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, Hair, Les Mis, Mamma Mia, The Producers, Billy Elliot. She wasn't too keen on Jesus Christ Superstar, Oklahoma, 42nd Street.......

She's been to the Met and MOMA (only once) and I was wondering if maybe we should go to the Frick or consider revisiting either or both of the two museums.

If we are not too short on time, it would be nice to squeeze in an early dinner before a show, preferably close to the theatre locations. We've been to Viceversa and Etcetera Etcetera and don't mind going back to either one, unless we find something else in the same area. What do you think of Chez Josephine? Any other suggestions? Another possibility is for us to eat post-theatre - then this doesn't necessarily have to be in the theater district but close to our hotel which will be on 61st and Park. Unfortunately, I'm not quite savvy as far as taking the bus/subway, and most likely, daughter and I will be relying on taxis and a lot of walking for most of the trip.

Finally, if anyone has any other suggestions on what we can do in NYC in March in the short time that we have, I'm all ears.

Once more, thank you very much!
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 07:22 PM

DD and I are taking a trip to NY in mid-May. I got an email regarding a pre-sale for the limited run of "Newsies" so took a look at it. It is playing during our trip, AND it was playing on Monday (their dark day must be Tuesday) so I bit and got us a couple of tickets. Then I looked into the show a little more and found the review of the preview run this fall in the NY Times and it was quite favorable. Since it hasn't actually opened yet, who knows how it will do or how good it is, but I decided to take a chance on it. Just a suggestion.
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 08:00 PM

Give your dear 19 year old daughter the job of learning the subways and buses - especially since you've overspent on Book of Mormon.

How about Jazz or Ballet or Opera or the Philharmonic or something off Broadway at a smaller theatre. Ask her what she wants to do to fill in the blanks....

http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/expl...ey-to-nyc.html
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 08:11 PM

You both might enjoy a nice, long, leisurely dinner your last night in New York rather than another show. Does that appeal to you? Check menupages.com for restaurant listings and recommendations/reviews based on neighborhood, cuisine, meal.

Take in the neighborhood after your Foods of New York tour in Chelsea. The tour will be intriguing and I'll bet you'll see something you'll want to return to once the tour is finished. That's a great neighborhood to explore and to do a little shopping.

The Frick is fabulous. Billy Elliot closed a few weeks ago, Lion King is classic.

Repeat to yourself and then go boldly forth: 'The subway is my friend'.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 12:37 PM

The subway is really not that hard-- you can do it! There's a station at 60th and Lexington, which is super close to the hotel. (Remember that if each of you will be riding the subway more than 14 time, it's worth it to buy a 7 day pass; if not, go pay-per)

I love many of the same shows that your daughter does, and I just saw Memphis a few weeks ago ---- LOVED it.

I think I'd spend Wednesday afternoon just walking around Times Square and taking in all of the craziness and the Neon.
That way, Thursday afternoon you'll know where you are when you visit or revisit one of the many museums (let her pick which one-- maybe she'll surprise you, and pick a museum you never thought of)

Speaking of: has she expressed any preferences about the trip, other than she loves to see Broadway?

I love walking through Central Park as well-- maybe you'll catch a wedding
When my cousins came in from California, they walked across the Brooklyn Bridge just to say they'd done it....

There are tons of free and exciting things to do in the city, if you don't want to splurge any more.....
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 12:57 PM

If you would consider something that was not a musical, you both might like "Love,Loss and What I wore". Its very funny, but also has a lot about the relationship between mothers and daughters in it. Also...being off broadway, its a bit cheaper than other options. We loved it.

The Frick is great, and a good choice.

One of the places we like for an early, pre-theater dinner, is Dafni Taverna. It's a small, casual Greek restaurant, very near the Port Authority, and a short walk from Times Square.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 12:59 PM

Oh, and re-visting the Met is always a good choice too, if it fits in your schedule somewhere. its so big, and always changing...there is always something there worth seeing. Perhaps check and see if there is a special exhibit which is particularly appealing.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

First the good news: Just added one more day to the itinerary, so we're now arriving a day early.

I would love for this trip to be a relaxed one, lots of lingering around, without any driving urgency to see ALL of the sights. Hopefully, we can go back with the whole family soon.

musicfan: Newsies sounds very promising! I noticed that we'll be in NYC for opening night, Mar 15. http://www.newsiesthemusical.com/ Tickets aren't going to be released until Jan. 30. Since we already have tickets to Mormon on 3/15, that only leaves 3/16, the night that I was hoping would be the dinner "splurge". If we end up going to Newsies on our last night, then our first night, 3/13 will be our nice dinner night.

SueNYC: thestarryeye.typepad.com is a wealth of information. Thank you for bringing it to my attention! Yes, I shall strongly urge DD to empower herself by introducing us both to the bus/subway system. You provided such useful info that I'm feeling a bit more confident in conquering this irrational fear of taking the NY subway. It doesn't make sense at all, since I'm quite comfortable taking the Metro whenever we're in Washington, but I suppose it's because the NYC subway system is just a lot more overwhelming in scale.

My daughter did text me this morning, asking if we can also watch Rent, Off-Broadway. She's a big Rent fan. I am guessing that she will probably want to go to either Rock of Ages or Rent, for a third option. While I was browsing the broadwaybox website, I came across the play, The Road to Mecca - (Rosemary Harris, Carla Gugino) and was considering that as another option, but unfortunately, the show is closing before our trip.

Bowsprit, I would love to have a nice, relaxed dinner on our last night, that's for sure. Your suggestion is what drove me to add another night to our visit. When I was doing my research for our NYC trip two winters ago, one restaurant that was strongly recommended was Eleven Madison. Didn't make it to that one, but did end up bringing the family to The River Cafe. (I realize that it's more of a tourist's destination though.)

Any special "splurge" restaurant recommendations? My daughter loves Italian, French, and, I guess, any other restaurant that can cook an excellent steak or pasta for her. Have never been to any of the Batali restaurants. I've tentatively looked at opentable and yelp for restaurant options, but would love to hear from Fodorites about your favorite restaurants. Since hubby won't be coming with us on this trip, I would prefer to take DD to a more relaxed, albeit, still special restaurant (this rules out Joel Robuchon

Hannah, yes, I'll do just that. Will ask DD to pick a museum where she would want to spend a lot of time, and I'll pick a second museum that we can go to, even for a couple of hours. As far as her preferences, oh yes, I can very much predict that she will want to shop. Unfortunately for her, this trip won't focus too much on shopping - perhaps we can do that on our 2nd day.

For now, this is what our schedule looks like:

Tuesday: Arrive at noon, check-in at hotel (or leave bags if room isn't ready)
Afternoon: Central Park, have a late lunch.
7 pm? Rock of Ages? or Rent?
Post-Theatre Dinner: Closely watching responses to dgmr45's "Post-Broadway Dinner with Teenagers" Post. This will help us with our post-theatre dinner choices for the next 3 nights.

Wednesday:
Morning: Museum, daughter's choice (TBD)
Afternoon: Hop On-Hop Off bus tour (maybe); St. John's Cathedral, some shopping
7:30 pm How To Succeed in Business (Al Hirschfeld)

Thursday:
10:30 - 1:30 Chelsea/Meatpacking District Food Tour
7 pm: Book of Mormon (Eugene O'Neill Theatre)

Friday:
morning: "my" museum choice (The Frick)
afternoon - very WIDE OPEN
evening: "splurge" dinner

Saturday:
Return home

Thank you Fodorites, am eagerly awaiting more responses.....
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi China Cat, just noticed your response. I did take a second look at "Love, Loss....." and noted that it has good reviews. That will certainly add variety to our musical-oriented mini-vacation. I was thinking of varying it up a bit, hence my interest in "The Road to Mecca", but alas, it closes before our March trip.

Let me present DD with the museum options, as well as the 3rd show options. If we went with "Love, Loss...", then Rent is going to be a must-do when we re-visit NYC, hopefully, with hubby and DS. (Both kids love Rent).

I was debating between the Met and the Frick as "my" museum choice. Wouldn't it be lovely if DD actually picked one of these? Maybe I can "bribe" her with more shopping time? ;-) We only saw a small portion of the Met two years ago because I didn't want the family to suffer from museum over-saturation. We spent a small amount of time at the MOMA too, and that's about it.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Uh-oh, both Rent and Love, Loss and What I wore are both dark on Tuesdays.

SO, it's either, go to Rock of Ages on Tuesday, and have the special dinner on Friday, or

Have the special dinner on Tuesday, and go to either Rent, or Love, Loss and What I Wore on our last night.

That sure changes things, doesn't it? Help!
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 02:54 PM

Oh, go to your 'splurge' dinner late on Friday when everyone else does! It'll be fun.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Bowsprit,

You mean go have the special dinner on Friday night after a show? Then if so, we can fit 4 shows on this trip!

Do you have any late-night dining favorites? I guess practically ALL the restaurants in NYC offer 10:00 seating or later.......
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 02:59 PM

Terrific Italian: Scarpetta on West 14th, north side, just east of Ninth. Reservations absolutely required; call in advance to find when the book opens, then call at precisely the opening time on that date (e.g., 9 a.m. four weeks out).

One of many.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 06:15 PM

Hey Burt - they are staying on Park and 61st. Kind of out of the way for a late night dinner.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Here's another out of the way suggestion but worth the effort. Take a look at Prune on East 1st street between 1st and 2nd Ave. in the W. Village:

www.prunerestaurant.com
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 06:47 PM

gelatolover...here is the link to the presale for "Newsies:"

http://www.ticketmaster.com/promo/1t...udiencerewards

Click on the "More Info" link and it will take you to the presale page...no password needed and you can get the tickets before the 30th if you want.

We are seeing "Book of Mormon" on our trip, and also "Wicked."
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 07:17 PM

Sue, I agree that West 14th isn't close to 61st and Park, but there are a gazillion cabs in the Meatpacking District. Or, if they're adventurous, they can walk (safely) back to Eighth Avenue, then take the L to Sixth and the F uptown to 63rd and Lex, a short walk to their hotel. It's about a half-hour trip, even late on a weeknight.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 07:26 PM

I like your style, bspielman.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 08:11 PM

Sue and bspielman, last time we ate at 12th and W. Washington, we walked back to our accommodations near Lincoln Center. Great fun after a delicious meal.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 05:47 PM

What about Once? It's on hiatus after a sold-out run off-Broadway, and is moving to Broadway next month. I'm planning to see it in April, not only because of the storyline and music, but also because the lead is our hometown boy, Steve Kazee. You can see highlights and a video at playbill.com. Have a great trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO