Kiawah rentals through VRBO

Old Apr 17th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kiawah rentals through VRBO

We are planning to be at Kiawah starting June 6 and looking at rentals through VRBO. Some listings mention 'include all resort amenities'. If it does not say that, does it mean that we cannot use pool, tennis, golf , gym etc.? Thanks for your feedback.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 05:33 AM

I would check w/the individual homeowners to see what may (or may not) be included. Typically they do a pretty good job of spelling that out. If you are looking at several properties the vrbo function will 'save' your inquiry so I would include asking for specifics, for all of them. I would guess the golf may even be incl. in some, depending.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 06:07 AM

I would look at any promise such as that skeptically. Kiawah Island Resort used to allow homeowners to buy a resort pass that renters could use, but made a decision three years ago to abolish that.

Since then, anyone who does not rent directly from the resort cannot get access to resort amenities (really pool and gym -- anyone can still play tennis or golf, at non-preferred rates). As far as I know, that policy is still in force.

There are a few neighborhoods within Kiawah that have community pools (not the resort pools) that are accessible to renters. We stayed a few years ago (through a VRBO rental) in a neighborhood called "Turtle Beach" that has one.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 09:00 AM

We are home owners on Kiawah and we rent our house through the Resort. The use of the Night Heron Pool and preferred rates for tennis, golf are confined to those who rent through the Resort. Several "resort renters/owners" do advertise on VRBO. We are allowed 2 weeks a summer to rent our places through "outside" groups.

I would be very sure that you will actually get the Resort privileges before paying for a unit. We often see renters on the Island who have been told they can use Resort facilities but do not have the proper admission "cards" from owners. A surprising amount of bait and switch happens.

How ever you do it, you will enjoy Kiawah. Fabulous beach. Really good restaurants nearby and 35 minutes to downtown Charleston.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM

For what it's worth, we have found that you can save a lot by renting through VRBO vs. through the resort, particularly for houses (sorry Dove).
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the responses. I have spent the entire morning doing this, and will probably go with the resort booking, primarily because we don't have a full week. We have the flexibility of renting only for 5 nights through the resort, but all owners on VRBO want to rent for the full week. It works out almost the same for us, but gives me access to the facilities. Also, I have the flexibility of cancelling upto 2 weeks in advance without any penalty. So, I can keep looking even after I book. Things I'll do to save a few dollars...
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM

You definitely have more flexibility that way.

Kiawah is such a beautiful island -- enjoy your stay!
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 11:50 AM

Hi,
Many vrbo owners also say horseback riding and you know that is not included in your rental fee.
Ask questions.
I have leased thru vrbo several times and not all owners lock you into a week.
Good luck and a great holiday.
Karin
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 07:42 PM

There might be some lower pricing renting through VRBO due to the savings in commission, but if pool access is paramount, renting through the Resort might be the best option for many. I know there are many property owners that rent through rental agencies or the resort and on VRBO so knowing what amenities you are getting is really the most important thing. Make sure to get a contact number in the event that there is a problem at the rental if going through VRBO, such as the air conditioning going on the blink. 90% humidity with no AC could put a damper on a trip.

Also, check actual maps to see where beach accesses are in relation to the rental unit no matter who you rent from. It's not too bad with most of the condos or villas, but many of the houses are a good hike and you cannot just park on the side of the road and leave your car near a beach access. This is especially true if you are renting a house and if you are not bringing or renting bikes. If the ad says 1000+ yards to the beach, they are not exaggerating! There are a couple of beach lots if you are staying behind the second gate, however.

The horseback riding you mention is on Seabrook next door to Kiawah.

The week minimum usually applies to the summer, so, yes, it pays to check with owners. I do know that the third week of June is one of the busiest along with the 4th of July and usually those weeks will only be offered Sat to Sat. Many kids aren't out of school as of June 6 so you might luck out.Whatever you decide to do, have a great time! I've been visiting for over 30 years and wouldn't trade my time there for anything.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 07:15 AM

For the past several years, we have rented houses on Kiawah with private pools through VRBO. It's still considerably cheaper than renting a comparable house (without private pool) through the resort. Generally they're not flexible on less than full week rentals, however.

I agree with the above poster's advice regarding beach access. If proximity to the beach is important to you, get an island map and be careful attention to where the beach access walkways are. Sometimes houses are misleadingly advertised (i.e. you may technically have "200 yards to the beach" as the crow flies, but the beach access walkway may be 600 yards)...