Kiawah or Wild Dunes?

Search

Kiawah or Wild Dunes?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kiawah or Wild Dunes?

Kiawah villa with kitchen for $139/night or Wild Dunes at the Boardwalk Inn for $144/night with breakfast included? Which has better beach and nature trails? Which has better pools and live entertainment/music? Or should I stay 1 night at one place, and 1 night at the other inn?
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 06:33 AM
GoTravel

I like Wild Dunes better and it is closer to downtown Charleston than Kiawah.

Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:26 AM

Definitely Wild Dunes. Kiawah is too far away.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I don't mind that Kiawah is farther from Charleston. I just want to know which has better beaches and better villas. Which looks more tropical, w/lots of trees, lots ot trails? I read that Kiawah was rated 2nd most romantic beach in U.S.
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:48 PM

Neither location is truly tropical but if trees, nature trails and beaches are what you are seeking then you should choose Kiawah. It would not make sense to stay one night in both places if you only have two nights because of the time involved.
Old May 6th, 2003, 02:13 AM

I have just returned from 9 days at Kiawah, it is beautiful and very woodsy , beach is great and pool area also, but not lively as far as music and entertainment which are non-existant there, it's very quiet . We are golfers and were expecting that.
Old May 9th, 2003, 11:19 AM

I'd definitely vote for Kiawah in the nature and beach departments. Bikes are a great thing to rent on Kiawah. Night life is pretty low key. The bar upstairs at The Privateer (right off-island at Bohicket Marina) has a DJ but it can be hit-or-miss on the 'crowd.' If someone can abstain and be a designated driver, heading into Charleston for an evening isn't really that far and there's lots to do in town. If budget is a concern, you'll do better with the villa on Kaiwah, stopping at the grocery store and having at least breakfast and lunch 'in.'
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:46 PM

I grew up near Charleston and have loved Kiawah from my first visit over 20 years ago. My boys and I will be going again in July and it is a bi-annual event for us.

Definitly rent bikes, they are the best way to get around the island. We stay at East Beach off of the ocean. The ocean view villas are much more expensive and the off beach villas are just a short bike ride away. I usually get a villa half way between the town center (convenient for shopping or a quick bite to eat) and the beach. This also puts us close to the pool which is refreshing after a day on the beach.

Kiawah also has a lot of activities. Gator walks, sea kayaking, and an oyster roast are a few of the activities that my sons (ages 11 and 13) enjoyed. You can reserve bikes and they will be dropped off ready to go when you arrive. You can also reserve beach umbrellas and chairs at the beach which save time and aggravation dragging it all back and forth.

I have not been to Wild Dunes but I can say that Kiawah has an excellent beach. It is wide with a gentle slope. We usually get up and walk or ride along the beach looking for seashells early each morning. It is nice to watch the sun come up from there.

Also, the restaurants are excellent as is the golf (I've been told this as I am not a golfer). Although Charleston is a bit of a drive we usually go there on our way to and/or from Kiawah.

If you want any more information you can email me at [email protected]. Also you can check out www.kiawahresort.com.