Keystone at Christmas

Search

Keystone at Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keystone at Christmas

My family is wanting to take a first-ever ski trip over Christmas -- probably about 5 days long. It will be my husband and me and our 2 teenage kids plus my parents-in-law. They want to do some outdoor activities, but do not want to ski and want to stay fairly close to Denver. Keystone looked like a good bet with all its activities -- sleigh ride dinner, ice skating, tubing, etc.

We are clueless about where to stay. We will probably want to stay in a condo, but could stay in a cabin. We will need at least a 2 bedroom condo with a sofa bed and have a $350-$400 nightly budget for lodging. Some of the options in that price range include Keystone Plaza Condos in Lakeside Village, Hidden River Lodge (within walking distance of Mountain House Base Area), Aspen Ridge Condos (within walking distance of Lakeside Village), Lakeside Village Condos, Evergreen Condos (located at the entrance of Keystone Resort), and Soda Springs townhomes. All of them are near shuttle rides to the lifts, but I don't know if some are in a preferable location for other activities. Any insight you can share would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:02 PM

It's always nice to be walking distance to the slopes. While Denver is relatively close (approx 90 minutes during the winter), it's not so close you'd want to drive back and forth. FYI-we love Keystone
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Pumpy, apparently there are a 5-6 distinct areas in Keystone. What areas would you recommend and what areas would you stay away from?
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Keystone is devoted to skiing so I don't think it will make much difference where you stay. All of the areas have some type of shuttle service to the base areas. I don't think there is any real advantage to one area over another. Don't think you will find any "cabins" in the area. If you want to do something other than skiing, you will need transportation to that activity. The core village of Keystone has the ice skating and tubing. I would use Goggle Earth or one of the mapping programs to see the layout and locations of various lodging options.

The Summit County area (Keystone/Breckenridge/Copper Mt) are nearly equal distance (90miles) from Denver. Breckenridge/Frisco area would provide a wider range of restaurants
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Keystone's Lakeside Village might be fun, as you can ice skate on the lake. (They rent skates on site.) Most all of Keystone is the same age (meaning quite new) so condos will be similar. I've never stayed their at Christmas, but I know the River Run area, in particular, is really lit up beautifully around the holidays. (It's the area closest to the Keystone gondola and is built to look like old mine buildings.)

Breckenridge is another good option if you want an actual town. (Keystone is basically just condos and some restaurants with a few souvenir and ski shops mixed in.)

Frisco is just a few miles from Keystone and they have an excellent Nordic center and a nice downtown. Not nearly as busy as Breckenridge, since they don't have the big ski resort.

You might want to check out www.vrbo.com, which specializes in rentals directly from the owners. They have loads of properties in the Breckenridge/Keystone area, including many houses. Just note that they claim you save by renting directly from the owner, but I've always found their pricing to be basically identical to going through a traditional company. At the very least you can see photos of various places.

Old Aug 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for you tips! Any others?
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 08:01 PM

have you thought of winter park?
you can take the ski train there from downtown denver, the train takes you directly to winter park, and it is fairly close to denver. so you don't need a car rental.
if you like skiing- there is winter park, mary jane, sol vista-silvercreek. mountainside at silver creek, is about 15 minutes from winter park, and you can catch a shuttle between the 2.you can do sleigh rides, dog sled rides, and the main lodge has so much to offer- including a kids game room.has 3 to 4 lifts that are very, very close close to condo's- in fact they are a ski in/ski out. and some of the 2 bedroom units sleep up to 10 people- with 2 bedrooms, and the masters have a full size hot tub in them too.
contact me if you need any more info- i can give you more.
corvettekaren
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 08:31 AM

If you want a walk to lifts location in that price range Key Condos are your best bet. They are older so be sure to ask about an updated unit. In that price range you most likely need to rent direct from the owners. I'd do it soon as by late Sept the best units will be taken. Have fun I LOVE Keystone!.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 07:19 PM

you CAN find very reasonable lodging in silvercreek the week of christmas. i know- take my word !! for keystone- you would have to rent a car, for winter park/silvercreek- you can take the ski train- which would be great for anyone liking trains- especially kids. and what would be better, than to be the closest to 3 different ski lifts?
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 08:24 PM

There is some marginal advice being provide concerning the ski train by folks who may not have ridden the train. The train is fun experience once or twice a year but is not appropriate to use as a substitute transportation.

First, the schedule is limited. This past year it only ran daily from Dec 27 to 30. After that is was Sat/Sun only through Jan and the Friday was added and some Thursdays.

Second, it arrives at the Winter Park base at 9:30. So it is hard to be sking before 10. If you are transfer to Sol Vista (formerly Silvercreek) you lose another 30/45 minutes.

Third, and mostly importantly, it is expensive. This past year was $49 in coach and $74 in First Class.

As I said earlier, it a fun experience but not a substitute for staying at Winter Park.

If you have non-skiers in your group, I would strongly recommend Frisco. Coveniently located at the hub of the Summit Cty free bus system. Equally distance from Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone and only 30 miles to Vail. Room rates would be more reasonable and greater variety of restaurants than Keystone. The skiers could use the bus and non-sliers the car.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 05:37 AM

Ditto everything that fmpden said. I like skiing at Winter Park and occasionally taking the ski train, but this is not how you want to spend your first-ever ski trip.

Marginal is a kind word for the advice about using the Winter Park Ski Train as primary vacation transportation. I can't imagine a worse vacation than taking the ski train, transferring to Sol Vista and being stuck for a week. Your skiers will be disappointed in the slopes and the non-skiers will be bored by the lack of activities, restaurants, etc. at Sol Vista.

You really can't go wrong with staying in the Summit County area - Breckenridge, Frisco & Keystone. Many activities, as previously mentioned, for the non-skiers and your teens will love the slopes. My pre-teens love Keystone.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 08:35 AM

I completely agree with fmp and wtm. I tend to lean more heavily toward Breck whenever first-time visitors to CO or non-skiers are involved though. If you're picturing a ski town (with more to do than just skiing) - Breck is it.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Yeah I was wondering if those folks worked for the train or Winter Park?
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Like I said before I love Keystone. I like the town of Breckenridge but do not care for the skiing. To cold and windy for me. Also to flat. I do not think you should have to pole down a blue run. But it does have it fans.

It really depnds on what your looking for. Both will be busy at the holidays with lots going on. What I like about Keystone is that it is contained and has a great free shuttle service. For those that are not skiing it makes it easy to get to and from. Then the non-skiers can have the car. It is an easy drive to Breckenridge for the day or for dinner.

For me it is not Christmas unless I get to skate on the lake with holiday music playing.

As far as distance to Denver yes Keystone is a bit closer but not all that much maybe 20 min or so.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 02:11 PM

.... To cold and windy for me. Also to flat. I do not think you should have to pole down a blue run.....

Come on, CoSkier, now I am being to think that you work for Keystone. Name me one blue run, anywhere -- especially Breck --- that you have to pole down. That is silly. And I don't know anyone who would say that Breck is flat. This isn't the forum to list the deficiencies of Keystone but there are several that discourage some people, self included, from sking at Keystone.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:39 AM

1st of all- i donot work for the train, or even live near sol vista- i happen to know people who have condo's there- and have been up there 2 /3 times. and we don't ski either.
as far ar the time to get there from winter park- where on earth do you figure 30 to 40 minutes? the most it has ever taken is 10 to 15 minutes to drive there.and being stuck there?!?! come on now- there is alot to do for non- skier's and their families. the only thing extra summit county has over grand county is the outlet shop's. and i bet going shopping every day would be awfully boring- and very expensive. and you can ski many different runs at sol vista- and yes, they also have the black diamond runs too, along with the easy ones, and the middle of the road ones too. and want to know something else- the condo's there are in her range price wise too !!
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 08:07 AM

fmpden. No I am sorry to say I don't have a job anyplace in Summit County

Lots of folks think Breck is flat. I do not know the mountain well enough to name runs but lots of the "blue" runs off that new lift are flat, flat, flat.

As to the wind and cold. It is not called BreckenFridge and Breakenwind for nothing. (Wish I was clever enough to have coined the phrases.)

Like I said before Breck does have its fans, I am just not one of them. Don't get your panties in a twist. Just giving my 02. just like you.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 09:53 AM

I skied in Colorado before there was a Keystone, a Copper Mt., Vail, when there was only a Winter Park, Loveland, A-Basin, and Breckenridge. I don't know anyone who was say that Breckenridge is flat, flat, flat. My two cents is based on over 40 years of sking. I thiink you two cents is based on one trip to Breckenridge.

But back to the original poster's question. Keystone has reputation for serving novice and beginning skiers with very well groomed slopes. For their Christmas/New Year trip Keystone will meet their needs.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 05:51 AM

"I thiink you two cents is based on one trip to Breckenridge."

Then you'd be wrong

I really do not think it is helpful to get into a pissing contest over my mountain is better than yours.