Christmas in CO - please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My family of 5 adults (parents in mid-50s, 3 kids in mid 20s) is planning to spend Dec. 23-30 in Colorado. I think we have finally decided on Crested Butte. We'll want some easy ski runs & plenty of other activities for non-skiiers. Is C.B. a good choice? We are looking at renting a house through the VRBO site. Also, what can we do to make sure it feels like Christmas, even though we are not at home? Will the town lend itself to this? Thanks in advance for your advice & suggestions!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:21 PM

hi christy, first, if you end up in cb the town will very definetely "lend itself" to the xmas mood. it should be beautifully decorated and is a lovely town anyway. your house may be decorated as well. you will easily be able to buy a tree. perhaps you could make decorations to make it special. popcorn/cranberries or paper cutouts. you may want to haul a treestand.
however i just checked cb web site and as i was thinking they do not have all the much beginner terrain.
as an alternative keystone and snowmass are known as more moderate mtns but the towns are new and not at all quaint. telluride is 24% beginner, 38% inter. and it is an absolutely wonderful, very picturesque old town.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 09:27 AM

I love Crested Butte. It is beautiful and the skiing is awesome. I don't know if I'd spend a week there for Christmas though.

I think I'd pick Breckenridge. In my opinion, the town of Breckenridge has much more to offer in a week. More restaurant options, more variety for outdoor activities and easier access to other ski resorts... like Keystone, Copper Mountain and Vail. And it will definitely feel like Christmas up there.

Just some food for thought.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM
KMK

Can't comment on Crested Butte specifically, as I haven't been there. BUT - I would pick a 'destination' type resort - such as Crested Butte, Aspen/Snowmass, Telluride, or Steamboat. The places that are local to Denver (Summit Co. - Breck, Copper, Keystone, plus Vail/B.C.) are going to be innundated NOT just with vacationers but also all the skiers from Denver who are off for the holidays.

Like I said, haven't been to Crested Butte, so can't comment on that, but I think Steamboat would be an awesome choice. Nice town, and PLENTY of terrain for all levels. Also, while you still may be affected by altitude, Steamboat isn't as high up as some of the Colorado resorts, so acclimitization may be easier.

Love Snowmass, too, (my favorite ski mountain in the country) but the town aspect might not be as 'quaint' - however, they do decorate for Xmas, and Snowmass terrain can't be beat.

Telluride also has a good mix of terrain and a cute town; I don't think it's as large as Steamboat or Snowmass, but I imagine would have enough to keep you occupied.

Have fun whatever you decide!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Christy, first you are smart to plan early. Most of the more "resonably priced" places will be booked by Sept. Though at that time prices are high.

KMK is right both Keystone and Breckenridge will be very busy. Vail and Beaver Creek less so as they block out some of those dates from Season Pass Holders.

That said all those resorts offer great beginner runs as well as many other activities. Not sure that CB will have enough to keep non-skiers busy. Though it really depends on what your after.

I have often rented though VRBO as well as Craiglists, http://denver.craigslist.org/vac/

I have had great luck with both, but find craiglists sometimes has better deals.

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 03:13 PM
MaureenB

We used to spend Christmases in Crested Butte-- years ago, before we bought our own place closer to Denver. It is a wonderful place for Christmas, and probably less crowded than the areas closer to Denver. The little Victorian town will be all lit up, and horse-drawn sleighs will be going up and down the town's main streets. It is charming. I think you will be really happy with that choice, especially planning this early to get a good rental.

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 05:46 PM

CB is great, but if you run out of options, try YMCA of the Rockies, Snow Mt. Ranch. They have 3-4 bdrm houses, cabins, etc., at bargain rates, plus restaurant, pool, tons of x-country trails, ice rink, even a roller rink, and the scenery can't be beat--between two downhill areas, Winter Park/Mary Jane and one outside of Granby (changed names, can't remember it), plus day trips to many cool places, including Rocky Mt. National Park.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 05:57 AM

You're probably feeling overwhelmed about now... but rest assured - you will have the time of your life in any one of the above recommmendations. I love Crested Butte... and I love Steamboat, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, Vail, etc. etc.. Colorado makes a ton of money on out of state skiers - particularly at Christmas. So every resort puts a ton of money into making sure the people paying a fortune to come here have a great time. I learned to ski at Crested Butte. It's not the best for beginners - but I made out OK. And the mountain and town could not be lovlier. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time (and if you go to Crested Butte, eat at Slogars). One piece of advice is correct - the front range resorts will be overflowing at Christmas. My husband teaches skiing at Keystone - and every Christmas holiday is an adventure.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 07:58 AM

We spent a Christmas vacation at CB. We had two teenage boys and we were worried about "being away" at Christmas. So, I packed bunches of cheap lights and push pins. (Note- next time I will bring an extension cord, too) Then I put those lights all over the hotel room, even decorated our windows. Some folks brought little fake trees with them. You could look arond the hotel, and there were lots of other people that did the same thing! There was a Christmas Eve service/gathering/program/play in the bottom of a hotel that was put on by a local church. It was fantastic, and of course, people from all over the world were there. There were bonfires and lighted displays around the area. Our boys (now 21 & 25) still call that one of their best Christmas'....go figure. I concentrated on SMALL gifts to pack and bring with me (cd's, gift certificates, etc.)

I'm sure that people can come up with other ideas to make it fun and festive. We just told the kids that this was going to be unlike the ordinary Christmas of years past, and then went out to do it up fun and funky. Good luck!