Search

Keys: What are the best things to do at John Pennekamp State Park

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
moo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keys: What are the best things to do at John Pennekamp State Park

In Key Largo in March. What are the best things to do at John Pennekamp State Park? Please advise! Thanks.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:46 PM

We were there in April two years ago. I loved it because it wasn't crowed at all. I went snorkeling there for the first time in my life - it was a great experience.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:56 PM

Pennekamp is mostly underwater. The best thing to do is take a dive or snorkel boat trip. Also fun is renting a canoe or kayak and exploring the mangroves. There is a nice aquarium that is good to visit before you go on the water - let's you get to know the names of what you'll be seeing. There's a little beach area if you want to practice snorkelling before you go on the boat.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:17 PM

I was there this past summer and took a snorkel tour. It was perfect! It is a natural treasure. We saw an abundance of sea life (both big and small), great coral formations, and Christ of the Abyss. A very cool trip and very reasonable for the price. We had over 2 hours of snorkel time, great guides, and were completely satisfied for $32 per person. If you are going to do a snorkel tour, I give my recommendation to Keys Diver. They leave right from the dock by the Holiday Inn (KeysDiver.com , 451-1177). I know there are many other great boats doing similar trips, but this is the one we used and I had no complaint.

Also, if the Christ of the Abyss statue is a priority for you, be sure and ask about it specifically. Not all boats and not all tours go to that spot for snorkeling. Part of the reason I chose the 3 location afternon tour with Keys Diver is because they did go to the statue.

Scuba Diving is also great if you are a diver. I think you can enjoy it just as much and for a better price with the snorkel route, though. I have done both and much preferred the snorkleing.

Sorry for rambling a bit... hope this helps.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM

If you don't want to snorkel, there is a glass bottom sightseeing boat ride that is a great option too. It operates in the park.