Reload this Page >

Key West Worth the drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:41 PM
RP

My best friend and I are taking the first trip together in 20 years next weekend. We are interested in the Keys/ West. We booked reservations at Southernmost on the east end of Duval, but are considering changing to Eden House on Fleming St. cause they have a free snorkeling package. Is it far from southernmost to main drag with bikes? Is the snorkeling worth the trouble in KW? Should we just wing it and get rooms as we go, stopping in Islamorada and such? All advice greatly appreciated!!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:18 PM
don

It's not even that far just to walk it, though at this time of the year it might be a lot better with bikes. The main drag in Key West extends from the gulf side over to where the Southmost is, though it might be a couple of blocks before you get into the retail area.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:04 PM
Postal

There's still some very good snorkeling in Key West, but don't stay at a place for that. Snorkeling won't cost you more than $30 or so on any boat in town. (And it'll be free if you;re willing to listen to a time share presentation!)

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:26 AM
sandra

not worth the drive...if you want to snorkle go to the Bahamas...Key West is fun if you're gay, or into fishing and boating...otherwise, don't bother...SSS

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:36 AM
xxx

I hate to dissapoint you Sandra but Key West is NOT the gay destination it once was.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Love KW

To Sandra:
You must have a limited definition of "fun". I am not gay, but have enjoyed all of my nine trips to Key West over the past ten years, including my wedding on a chartered sail boat at sunset.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Liam

I concur about Key West's reputation as a gay spot. My wife and I just got back a few weeks ago and were really surprised at how few signs of gay life there are in Key West. Maybe one or two bars along Duval and that was about it. Key West has been overrun by run of the mill tourism. We still enjoyed it.

We stayed at the Artist House on Eaton St., roughly a block and a half off the Mallory Square end of Duval. It was great and I highly recommend it. Very quiet, and a nice garden with jacuzzi in back. We practically had the place to ourselves.

Personally, I wasn't very impressed with the snorkling in Key West. We had a murky water day, so that probably explains a lot. I highly recommend Sebago tours for snorkling. They were great and the guides were lots of fun.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:13 PM
BJ

We have stayed with Center Court and the accomodations are perfect! Walking/biking distance from everything! They have all types of accomodations at various prices. We are going back!