KEY WEST - Which Wyndham?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Key West for the first time this March for a friends wedding. We no nothing about the area but are VERY excited to visit the Keys and hang out. We'd like to stay near the water and we seem to gravitate toward the larger chain resort hotels for familiarity and lack of knowing much about the area. There are two Wyndham resorts there - the Reach and the Casa Marina - if we were to pick one of these - which should we choose? If there are any other ideas on accommodations - that are mid-priced (the Wyndham is a little steep for us but we're considering just doing it) - I'd appreciate any input!
Thank you! Amy
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 07:42 AM

Parking is limited on the island, so many people don't rent cars for that reason. The Wyndham Casa Marina, formerly a Marriott property, is kind of far away from the main action (Duval Street). They might have a shuttle service, which would solve the transportation problem. They also boast a small beach, which is rare on this rocky island. I know nothing about the Reach, perhaps someone else can help here.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 07:44 AM
GoTravel

Casa Marina has a beach so if that is what you are looking for, go with the Casa Marina.

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 08:00 AM

Most of the "action" in Key West happens around the Gulf, and the Casa Marina and Reach are on the Atlantic. If you particularly like larger hotels, the Hilton and Hyatt both have hotels on the Gulf. (The Hyatt has several properties - be sure and book the one on Front Street)

If you'd rather stay in one of the Wyndham properties, the Casa Marina gets much nicer reviews than the Reach.

One caveat: March is spring break time, so Key West may be swarming with celebrating college kids
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 08:01 AM

We (my entire extended family) stayed at the Casa Marina in November 2002 and I can easily say it was the dirtiest hotel I have ever seen. It's such a shame because the grounds and location are beautiful.
I would not recommend staying there-- 8 separate rooms all had the same cleanliness issues!
Good luck finding a hotel, and I would also recommend staying closer to Duval.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 08:03 AM

March is late in the season, so you may able to find a nice guest house close to down town . look www.keywest.com and check accomodation. look for only place close to old town, duval street, fleemings street.
La Concha in down town is a nice property ..
If you are not sure about the property location after checking web site, let me know and i will help you.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the input...I think I'll keep looking for something else, sounds like the Wyndham(s) may not be the best place! Thanks!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 09:51 AM

If you're willing to try a smaller place for a change, check out keywestinns.com.

I'd advise you NOT to stay in a hotel on Roosevelt, as it's very inconvenient to Old Town, which is probably where you'll spend all your time.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 10:22 AM

One thing you will find out about Key West is that there is really not much of a beach to hang out on. Unless you are doing watersports etc., a view of the Gulf is your best bet or a view of the Duval Street area and/or the sunset celebration.

We stayed at the Doubletree Grand, which is on the opposite end of the island, it had a very nice pool and grounds but no view of the island or water of any kind.

I would recommend the Hyatt or Hilton in Old Town as your best bet being near the action and a view of either the sunset celebration, the gulf or Duval Street.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:19 PM

I prefer staying in a small hotel such as the Island City House, but if you want a large chain try the Hilton. As others have noted, beaches are not the reason to come to Key West and if you are in Old Town you can walk to everything
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 01:32 PM

We stayed at the Reach two summers ago. We won the Reach on Priceline. The resort hotels on Key West listed on biddingfortravel.com are the two Wyndhams and the Hyatt. Winning bids for the resort level in March are around $120. I think you would be happy with any of those three. Have fun!
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 02:05 PM
jd

We stayed at the Ocean Key Resort last year-it is on the gulf side, very close to the Hyatt. They have a nice pool overlooking the water, and you are right next to Mallory Square.Rooms are really nice, many with huge jacuzzis. The Hyatt also looked nice.I don't recommend the Hilton, as the view of the water is blocked most of the time by cruise ships. I thought the Wyndham Marina looked nice from the outside-decent pool and small beach, but we didn't go inside. It is further away from the action, but we found it an easy walk, and there are always the bicycle taxis if you get tired.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 03:21 PM

The larger hotels by Mallory Square and the Gulf tend to be way more expensive than the majority of the smaller guesthouses. I'd look at the web sites for Island City House, Ambrosia House, Coco Palms, Merlin Guesthouse, those are just the ones we've stayed at. All the above have pools with some tropical landscaping. Key West is more about a certain tropical vibe than it is about a good beach. Five weeks from today and we'll be at Cypress House for the first time. Jean
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 03:23 PM
GoTravel

Might I suggest the Marquesa? It isn't on the water but I think it is the most stunning Inn in Key West.

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:33 AM

We stayed at the Wyndham Casa Marina last May and were quite satisfied with it. It was a quite a hike over to the other side of the island where "the action" was but it was a pleasant walk and gave us a chance to admire the scenery and walk off our key lime pie. The hotel was fine - and the grounds were beautiful. My husband doesn't like bed and breakfasts, and the other large hotels were much more expensive so the Wyndham worked out ok for us.