Reload this Page >

Key West this weekend!

Search

Key West this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Lou

Key West this weekend!

Staying at the Heron House. Can't wait. Can anyone recommend a good company to rent scooters from? We want to tour the island on one, and would like to know the name(s) of a resonable and reliable company to rent from.

Also, any restaurant recommendations from recent trips would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Merilee

Restaurants I recommend are Blue Heaven and El Siboney.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 07:30 AM
deb

How wonderful Lou!

We've had a terrible time searching for a decent flight...so expensive from Atlanta.

Sample lots of key lime pies for us!

Deb.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Ann

Key West is a blast. Can't beat Key Lime pie on a stick, covered in chocolate.

One piece of advice: make sure each person has his/her own scooter. A couple of friends shared one once, and one of them spent 3 years having 7 surgeries on her face (yes, she was wearing a helmet, too!) Two people are too much for one scooter.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Ann

Restaurant recommendations: the old favorites, Blue Heaven and Pepe's.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 08:47 AM
George

Deb: We used to regularly fly into Miami (from PA,) and back home from Key West. However, the last few years, we've found it very tough to get that return seat out of KW. What we do as an alternate is a round-trip to MIA. And make the return from MIA as late in the day as possible to allow time for the drive up from Key West on the same day. We do gamble that there'll be no big, road-closing, accident in the Keys. But I find the risk acceptable. Hey, if you gotta get stuck somewhere....

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Lou

I'm surprised there is not a decent fare from Atlanta. We're flying out of KC, connecting through Atlanta, with the final destination being Ft. Lauderdale. I booked a month ago, and got 2 seats for $130 each. We'll also enjoy the drive down.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:38 AM
susan

Delta has just begun (as of October 1) a direct flight from Atlanta to Key West.

As for scooters, Lou, unless you're very experienced riding them I'd advise you to rent bikes instead. Unfortunately, Key West has a large number of casualties (and deaths) due to folks renting mopeds without being familiar with them.

Don't miss the Half Shell Raw Bar for casual dining and great fish. For fancy, try Square One or Alice's.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Merilee

Susan is right about the moped accidents on Key West. I've never seen a tragic one, but I have seen some scary ones. I've noticed it's usually happens on turns. Somewhere between MM 2 and 3 when you make the turn to come onto North Roosevelt Blvd. is where I've seen a few accidents. Maybe it's the wide angle of the turn. There was one young lady who put her foot down to control the turn and she fell off and onto the grassy side of the road under a palm tree. She was shook up of course, and she got a few scrapes. By the way, this weekend (9/20 thru 22) is the 30th annual (motorcycle) Poker Run from Miami to Key West to raise money for children's charities. I thought of more places to recommend. Baby's Coffee and Blonde Giraffe, which makes award winning key lime pie. Key West Winery is on Simonton. If you go to Blue Heaven you'll be in Bahama Village, which a great old neighborhood.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Rose

I would highly recommend a breakfast at Alice's La-Te-Da. There are so many great little restuarants that you'd be hard-pressed to not hit one.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 02:17 PM
fuinta

Harpoon Harry's is great for breakfast and Pepe's Cafe, Harry's is very reasonable, good and cheap while Pepe's is outstanding but a little more expensive and you might have to wait for awhile. Blue Heaven for the experience. El Siboney for Cuban dinner or lunch. B's Restaurant is another place for Cuban food but might be out of the way for you. Might suggest 7 Fish for dinner, make reservations.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Carie

Much is closed the month of Sept. I know Blue Heaven is and 7 fish.