Key West suggestions

Search

Key West suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key West suggestions

Hi, I'm just starting to plan a trip to Key West as a college graduation gift for my son. He's a certified scuba diver and I thought trip down there would be good.This would mostly be a trip to dive, snorkel, maybe Tarpon fish and relax. There will probably be 4 adults going(myself, my wife, my son and his girlfriend)so I thought I'd rent a 2 BR house rather than rent 2 hotel rooms. I've been looking at athomeinKW.com and centercourtkw.com.
Anyway, we've never been to Key West so I'd love some advice from some veterans. Like do I want to stay close to Duval Street or will that be too noisy or crowded? Beachfront would be nice but I don't see too much "beach". Which dive outfitters are good. Which fishing charters are good? Or is Marathon or Islamorada a better spot.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:37 AM

The KW experience is more about spending time in a funky, tropical tourist area with lots of bars, restaurants, and people... as a graduate, your son may want to blow off some steam and meet some people... the snorkeling and diving is offshore and by half and full day tours with mostly party types... Staying in Old Town is vital to the entire experience...if you are away from Old Town its like staying near your local Mall with motels and chain eateries... if this doesn't sound attractive, consider taking the gang to the US virgin islands where the diving is better and the beaches are beautiful... it may also be cheaper in st.thomas/st john....
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 01:14 PM

It surprises a lot of people that the beaches in Key West are terrible. You really have to choose between a charming key west victorian cottage b&b (probably not your son's thing) or a big resort with a swimming pool. There are both of these types within a close walk of Duval, without having to hear the noise of Duval.

If nightlife is a priority, you want Key West (which can be very seedy)over Marathon or Islamorada. If diving and fishing are all that really matter, (along with a laid back style tropical bar for evenings) I would go with one of the other two.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:54 AM

Consider Cozumel.

Keith
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 03:55 PM

I think Key West is a wonderful graduation gift! Like so many other places, Key West is what YOU make of it. My husband and I are grandparents and we go for great food and to read and relax. It's also a perfect place for party people and for water sports and fisherfolks.

I'm sorry to say I can't remember the names of many realtors in Key West but At Home In Key West has a good reputation. Rather than a house, you might consider renting a condo in Truman Annex, which is very pretty but might be a little tame for your son. Actually, I think it might be a little tame for my husband and me, too, even though it's in a great location.

Another option would be renting a timeshare - we spend at least 4 weeks a year at the Galleon, and they have 2 bedroom condos that're fully furnished. Come to think of it, the second bedroom there might be awfully small - we had our son and his wife join us for a while, and they ended up in a tiny room with 2 twin beds and not much else. Anyway, the Ocean Key Resort also has condos for rent, and I think two bedroom ones. Ditto the Hyatt Sunset Harbor - do NOT book another Hyatt timeshare, as they're in inconvenient locations. All those three are on the Gulf in excellent locations and have water views (if you request them). Just be sure and stay in Old Town and you'll be within walking distance of sunset celebrations, tourist activities and lots and lots of restaurants.

For snorkeling, I highly recommend Floridays - they dock at the Hyatt, and unlike other outfits, they limit the number of passengers to around 20.

Good luck1

Here's the scoop on the beaches: the keys are coral, so all the beaches are man-made with imported sand and most are tiny!